Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29136
View in linear mode

Subject: "Rec. 7100 camera settings for shooting animals - dogs." Previous topic | Next topic
cpo23 Registered since 24th Jul 2013Fri 26-Jul-13 12:08 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Rec. 7100 camera settings for shooting animals - dogs."

US

I had a D40(and still do) and received lots of valuable info from the folks here back in the day. I have recently upgraded to the 7100. The primary use of the 7100 will be to shoot spontaneous pics of my dogs outside. I was wondering if anyone can recommend what you might consider "ideal" settings for this. Even though I have a 7100, I am very much just a hobbyist, and a newbie at that.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Rec. 7100 camera settings for shooting animals - d...
dave_17531
26th Jul 2013
NickMilner Gold Member
26th Jul 2013
cpo23
26th Jul 2013
ttc546 Silver Member
26th Jul 2013
ericbowles Moderator
26th Jul 2013
cpo23
27th Jul 2013

dave_17531 Registered since 07th Sep 2010Fri 26-Jul-13 12:34 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Rec. 7100 camera settings for shooting animals - dogs."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 26-Jul-13 12:55 PM by dave_17531

US

I've used all kinds of different settings for my dog. It really depends on the situation I suppose or what kind of photos you're after. There is a pet setting on your camera though. Me personally I use a telephoto and zoom in using a wide aperture to get good bokeh to make her stand out in the photo I also use a vivid setting and try to focus on the bridge of her nose between her eyes and nose. I also use a spot metering mode and the multiple exposure setting plus AF-C if shes running about. It really depends on the lighting and the mood of my dog and what photos I'm after.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

NickMilner Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2013Fri 26-Jul-13 01:20 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Rec. 7100 camera settings for shooting animals - dogs."
In response to Reply # 0

Manchester, GB

My first thought when shooting pets is to head for Shutter Priority to capture fast motion and then take it from there. The rest depends on lighting conditions, your lens, the effect you want to achieve etc., but as a starting point you can't really go wrong with Shutter Priority. Dial in something reasonably fast (e.g. 1/500s) and see what you get.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

cpo23 Registered since 24th Jul 2013Fri 26-Jul-13 04:37 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Rec. 7100 camera settings for shooting animals - dogs."
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks for the tips. Will certainly try these settings; at least I have a place to start from.

ttc546 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2009Fri 26-Jul-13 09:03 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Rec. 7100 camera settings for shooting animals - dogs."
In response to Reply # 0

Camberley, GB

You don't say whether your dog will be running or still, as this will determine your settings. I take action pics for dog sports events and have AF-ON set and use most of the technique, but not all as described here - http://www.luminescentphoto.com/blog/2010/11/05/nikon-af-on-technique/

I turn VR off on the lens as it is redundant with fast shutter speeds.

I use CH for fast burst mode.

If your dog is black, then prepare for lots of PP as black dogs are very difficult to expose as you might want.

Chris

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 26-Jul-13 11:37 PM
8476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Rec. 7100 camera settings for shooting animals - dogs."
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I do a lot of dog photography for a local rescue. It's amazing how much a good photo helps in placing a dog.

I normally use a 70-200 lens at f/3.2-3.5. I want at least 1/250 sec. - preferably 1/500. ISO is base ISO if possible, and increased as needed. My economy lens choice is the 70-300 shot near wide open.

AF is usually AF-C with Dynamic 9 Points. That lets me select the focus point, but the camera helps. If the dog is relatively quiet and still, I use AF-C and single point.

I'm looking for soft light - no harsh contrasty light.

I start by looking for a good background. I want enough space to blur the background. For shots that show the full dog, I want something that provides a nice framing or leading lines. One of my favorites is a wood fence along the side of the frame disappearing into the distance.

If you are trying to shoot a rapidly moving dog - especially one running toward you, 3D Matrix metering is helpful. Otherwise, keep it turned off.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Fall Workshops - Golf Photography at the Tour Championship and Fall Color in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

cpo23 Registered since 24th Jul 2013Sat 27-Jul-13 01:23 AM
#6. "RE: Rec. 7100 camera settings for shooting animals - dogs."
In response to Reply # 5

US

WOW so many things to practice and try tomorrow. Can't wait to get them out in the backyard, and maybe down to the beach. I do like to shoot them still, but it's most fun trying to capture them while they are just being crazy.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29136 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.