Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29114
View in linear mode

Subject: "Spots on my D7100 image sensor" Previous topic | Next topic
cbertel Registered since 08th May 2013Wed 24-Jul-13 11:52 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Spots on my D7100 image sensor"

Blacksburg, US

I've taken the camera in for a blow cleaning, it seems to have helped momentarily, but now I have three new tiny spots. This is my second DSLR, had a D5100 before. I bought this D7100 on May 6, 2013, had not issues with spots until a week ago. is this going to be an ongoing issue or should I have someone do a wet cleaning of the sensor?

Cynthia D. Bertelsen
Discover something new every day. ~~ James Still
Gherkins & Tomatoes: Meditations and Photographs about Food History, Cooking, and Life
Author of forthcoming Mushroom: A Global History (Reaktion Books, UK, Fall 2013)
Twitter: twitter.com/gherkinstomato
Facebook: www.facebook.com/cynthia.bertelsen
Pinterest: pinterest.com/cdbertel/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Spots on my D7100 image sensor
Chuckv Silver Member
25th Jul 2013
cbertel
25th Jul 2013
JosephK Silver Member
25th Jul 2013
km6xz Moderator
25th Jul 2013
Kidkett Silver Member
25th Jul 2013

Chuckv Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Mar 2009Thu 25-Jul-13 01:35 AM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Spots on my D7100 image sensor"
In response to Reply # 0

Lafayette, US

Can you see the spots on the sensor? Dust or Oil? Have you done a lens change when the spots appeared?

Dust should be able to be blown off/out, but the point there is SHOULD!? Using a hand blower with the camera/mirror in the cleaning position would be my next step, but unless you know what you are doing, I would pass on the wet cleaning and take it to a shop or Nikon repair.

Chuck

Chuck Vincent, Nikon F100, P7000, D100, D7100, D700, D4

Nion Lens- 50 1.8, 17-35 F/2.8, 28-105 F3.5-4.5D Macro, 28-300, 24-70 2.8, 85 1.4D 70-200 2.8, 18-200 VRII

cbertel Registered since 08th May 2013Thu 25-Jul-13 09:56 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Spots on my D7100 image sensor"
In response to Reply # 1

Blacksburg, US

Thank you, Josephk and Chucky, I guess I am going to have find somebody locally to do the clean until I gain enough confidence to do it myself. Like I said, I never had that issue with my D5100. I am wondering where the oil is coming from?

Cynthia D. Bertelsen
Discover something new every day. ~~ James Still
Gherkins & Tomatoes: Meditations and Photographs about Food History, Cooking, and Life
Author of forthcoming Mushroom: A Global History (Reaktion Books, UK, Fall 2013)
Twitter: twitter.com/gherkinstomato
Facebook: www.facebook.com/cynthia.bertelsen
Pinterest: pinterest.com/cdbertel/

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 25-Jul-13 04:18 AM
4183 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Spots on my D7100 image sensor"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Dust and other spots on the sensor is a fact of life for DSLR users. To some extent, environment and shooting habits will affect the frequency of the cleanings.

Good tutorials and supplies can be found at
http://www.CopperHillImages.com

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 25-Jul-13 10:25 AM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Spots on my D7100 image sensor"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

As mentioned by others, dust and spots are the nature of the beast. There are many potential causes from pollin and air borne pollutants to, in rarer cases, lub from the chutter or mirror motor. There is no oil in the shutter camera except sealed inside the motors which have in a few cases, leaked. There has no rash of higher than expected dirt accumulation on D7100 sensors, unlike the D600.

The best way to approach it is to clean it yourself, and get in the habit of using the camera's built-in shaker cleaner frequently.
You camera bag should contain a blower like the popular Rocket Blower that is more effective than the shaker. If that does not dislodge the dust, after several attempts, it is time for wet cleaning. It is not hard or time consuming and if done with care, not at all dangerous to the camera.

If you ever had to dust your window sills, you know that dust is omnipresent. By and large, senors are the cleanest surface in one's life and it really surprises me it is not more of a problem. If you shoot macro of common surfaces you also know how much dust is in any surface that we normally never see with the unaided eye.
If you prefer to take the camera in for service every time it gets dirty, it could become expensive.
Are the spots seen at normal apertures or do you have to stop down great deal to see them in images?
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Kidkett Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Thu 25-Jul-13 10:26 AM
434 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Spots on my D7100 image sensor"
In response to Reply # 0

Campo, US

Hi Cynthia,

It seems like these new high MB sensor is a way of life when it comes to dust and oil. I would have thought that if someone would have cleaned your camera they would have told you if there were still spot left on it. The best thing you could do is learn to clean your own sensor if you can get comfortable cleaning it. Here is a link in the D800 forum talking on just this subject but it is the same with all cameras.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=430&topic_id=20394&mesg_id=20394&page=

I hope this will answers you questions.

Happy Shooting,
Bill

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29114 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.