Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29022
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 Using SB-910 Dark Photos" Previous topic | Next topic
adrezs Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2013Sat 20-Jul-13 09:15 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 Using SB-910 Dark Photos"

Tullamarine, AU

Sorry this may be a stupid question, I did a search but couldn't find anything on this topic for D7000 or D7100
Just got the camera, brilliant so far, haven't had a chance to read any in depth articles on the intricacies of the settings.
I have purchased David Busch's Nikon D7100 Guide to Digital SLR Photography eBook so I need to start reading.

I have taken some photos of a female friend indoors not much clothing and I am finding that the skin appears very dark, there is enough natural light, using the SB-910, Auto mode, Program mode and even aperture Priority mode set to the highest Aperture (lowest number), Auto ISO.
I know I should be making adjustments, but also should be able to just set to auto and leave it ...
All seem to be dark with unnatural skin tones, I need to use Photoshop elements using Auto adjust and then the skin tones appear to be correct

I am sure I need to adjust one of the settings but which one I am not sure.

Any advice ?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sat 20-Jul-13 10:52 AM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 Using SB-910 Dark Photos"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

Welcome to the Nikonians. There could be multiple reasons why you're having issues using a flash. One good starting place would be to provide a sample photo with the EXIF data to analyze.

How does the camera perform without the flash? Do you have the flash attached to the hot shoe or are you trying to use Nikon's Creative Lighting System with the flash off-camera? What was the shutter speed, ISO and aperture of some of the photos?

Once you provide a bit more data it will be much easier to help you.

Thanks,

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

DaddySS Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2006Sat 20-Jul-13 11:55 AM
799 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 Using SB-910 Dark Photos"
In response to Reply # 0

Woodcliff Lake, US

What mode is the 910 in? TTL and TTL BL give very different results. Also there is an excellent write up in the articles section on various aspects of flash.

Richard

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Sat 20-Jul-13 02:33 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 Using SB-910 Dark Photos"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>>
Any advice?
<<

Read fellow Nikonian Russ MacDonald's blog on Nikon's CLS.

http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/2008/01/nikon-flash-two-separate-metering.html

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Sat 20-Jul-13 03:41 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7100 Using SB-910 Dark Photos"
In response to Reply # 0

El Sobrante, US

For flash use, you also need to turn off auto_ISO. Otherwise the camera will increase the ISO as far as possible before letting the flash contribute to the exposure. In other words, the metering system does not consider what the flash will contribute, so it tries to get a good exposure based on aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. Flash is then added. If your model is very pale and the background is light, you might need to add some exposure compensation because the camera is trying to expose for a middle grey tone.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29022 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.