Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29013
View in linear mode

Subject: "No Exposure Meter In Aperture Priority" Previous topic | Next topic
Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Fri 19-Jul-13 10:25 PM
356 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"No Exposure Meter In Aperture Priority"

Bellingham, US

Hello all,
I am using a D7100. I normally shoot in "Manual" mode and today I switched it over to "Aperture Priority". The exposure meter disappeared. Is this normal?
Thanks in advance,
Bill

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see" Henry David Thoreau
(1817-62)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: No Exposure Meter In Aperture Priority
golfercat Silver Member
19th Jul 2013
Bela614 Silver Member
19th Jul 2013
JosephK Silver Member
20th Jul 2013
Bela614 Silver Member
20th Jul 2013
blw Moderator
20th Jul 2013
NickMilner Gold Member
20th Jul 2013
paulharvey
20th Jul 2013
Bushido7100
22nd Jul 2013
Bela614 Silver Member
23rd Jul 2013
Bushido7100
23rd Jul 2013

golfercat Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2012Fri 19-Jul-13 11:15 PM
190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: No Exposure Meter In Aperture Priority"
In response to Reply # 0

Menifee, US

I believe what you are seeing is normal. A mode is a semiautomatic mode where you set the aperture and the camera selects shutter speed based on the I S O. My D700 works in the same manner...manual has meter while aperture does not. I do not see an issue, it is working normally.

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Fri 19-Jul-13 11:51 PM
356 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: No Exposure Meter In Aperture Priority"
In response to Reply # 1

Bellingham, US

Thank you golfer cat. I guess I will just have to trust the camera that everything is OK. I bracket my photos and I like to watch through the viewfinder what is going on. I guess I can live without it. Thanks again.
Bill

(1817-62)

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 20-Jul-13 04:23 AM
4165 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: No Exposure Meter In Aperture Priority"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, WA, US

Because you are in a semi-auto mode, the camera will always pick an exposure that it thinks will zero the meter. Since the meter is always zeroed, there is no sense showing it to you. However, as soon as you turn on the EV comp or bracketing, so that the meter is no longer zeroed, the camera will show you the meter in the semi-auto mode.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Sat 20-Jul-13 11:20 AM
#5. "RE: No Exposure Meter In Aperture Priority"
In response to Reply # 3

Bellingham, US

Hello Joseph,
Thank you for the information. It is really appreciated. But when I try to bracket in "Aperture Mode" there is no exposure meter. Am I missing something? I am shooting continuous 3 shots at -2, 0, +2 EV? Do I have the camera set up wrong?
Thanks,
Bill

(1817-62)

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 20-Jul-13 02:53 PM
26575 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: No Exposure Meter In Aperture Priority"
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond, US

Bracketing normally appears on the top LCD, not in the finder.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

NickMilner Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2013Sat 20-Jul-13 11:15 AM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: No Exposure Meter In Aperture Priority"
In response to Reply # 0

Manchester, GB

Also, the meter will re-appear automatically if your camera cannot achieve what it thinks is a good exposure. The auto modes then allow you to use exposure compensation (which of course you have to do manually in manual mode, er, obviously!)

paulharvey Registered since 15th Jun 2013Sat 20-Jul-13 01:29 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: No Exposure Meter In Aperture Priority"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I noticed the disappearing meter also. I was worried 'til I read this thread. Thanks to all for the question and answers!

And BTW, on my D7000, the meter re-appears if I pop up the flash.

Bushido7100 Registered since 03rd Jun 2013Mon 22-Jul-13 10:22 PM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: No Exposure Meter In Aperture Priority"
In response to Reply # 6

US

I have easy exposure compensation set (page 235) and I have the meter in all modes.

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Tue 23-Jul-13 01:32 PM
#9. "RE: No Exposure Meter In Aperture Priority"
In response to Reply # 8

Bellingham, US

Hello Bushido,
Thanks for the information. I have tried it and it works. I wonder if there is any down side to doing this? But for the time being there it is, the solution.
Thanks for the info. I would have never figured this out.
Bill

(1817-62)

Bushido7100 Registered since 03rd Jun 2013Tue 23-Jul-13 09:42 PM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: No Exposure Meter In Aperture Priority"
In response to Reply # 9

US

I have not found a downside. It allows me to add the necessary .3 to .7 adjustments depending on the composition of the frame. I shoot a lot of water birds and the All white Egret, needs less exposure and the almost black Anhinga needs more.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #29013 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.