Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28994
View in linear mode

Subject: "Camera gear stolen" Previous topic | Next topic
MTBright Registered since 29th Dec 2009Fri 19-Jul-13 05:41 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Camera gear stolen"

Riverside, US

Tonight our car was broken into near jack London square in Oakland. We were on vacation and had several things stolen. My cAmera bag was taken with a d7100, d90, 70-200 2.8, 300 f4, 105 micro, and 18-70 kit lens from an old d70. Also a Mac book air, Mac book pro 15" and a iPad. Plus all my wife's clothes.

I have all the serial numbers at home. Not sure if I should be posting this here but feel a little helpless.
Thanks

Matt.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Camera gear stolen
Giguchan
19th Jul 2013
blw Moderator
19th Jul 2013
MTBright
19th Jul 2013
RockyIII Gold Member
19th Jul 2013
DaddySS Gold Member
19th Jul 2013
MTBright
20th Jul 2013
cogrady Silver Member
19th Jul 2013
dm1dave Administrator
19th Jul 2013
Bill Kennedy Gold Member
20th Jul 2013
Mycenius Silver Member
20th Jul 2013
HayMower Silver Member
20th Jul 2013
Giguchan
20th Jul 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
21st Jul 2013
CoolHandLou
21st Jul 2013
thecad Gold Member
21st Jul 2013
kentak Silver Member
22nd Jul 2013
PSAGuy Silver Member
22nd Jul 2013
nikond90greg Silver Member
22nd Jul 2013
FLRuckman
22nd Jul 2013
Mycenius Silver Member
22nd Jul 2013
ardoluc
04th Aug 2013
04th Aug 2013
paulharvey
22nd Jul 2013
plankowner110 Silver Member
23rd Jul 2013
cflehman Silver Member
25th Jul 2013
PAStime Silver Member
25th Jul 2013
cflehman Silver Member
25th Jul 2013
25th Jul 2013
Clint S Silver Member
29th Jul 2013
RMPANDIT Silver Member
29th Jul 2013
Bela614 Silver Member
29th Jul 2013
loveisageless
03rd Aug 2013
marinade Silver Member
04th Aug 2013

Giguchan Registered since 25th Aug 2007Fri 19-Jul-13 06:24 AM
101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 0

Long I$land, US

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. I know what you are going through. I have had precious this stolen from me too. you feel violated, helpless, and there is also a load of "coudda woudda shudda"
I think you will be forgiven for posting.. I wanted to try to say something funny to lighten your spirits but having been in the same situation laughing is the last thing you feel like doing.. Best call the insurance company and get ball rolling.

50MM G
24-7- F2.8
SB-800
SC-29
Nikon D3
Oh,and a Coolpix P5000

Cheers
my Nikonians gallery.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 19-Jul-13 01:10 PM
26540 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

There's a web site (stolencameras.com? not sure) that I understand is a registry of the obvious. Hopefully your insurance will help out. Be sure to get a police report!

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

MTBright Registered since 29th Dec 2009Fri 19-Jul-13 02:32 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 0

Riverside, US

Thanks police report filed, insurance claim filed off to fix window and to get the wife some clothes. Gotta keep staying its just stuff. It will all get replaced if need be.

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Fri 19-Jul-13 06:17 PM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 19-Jul-13 06:17 PM by RockyIII

Raleigh, US

Sorry to hear, and I hope the thief is caught and prosecuted. I had a rental car broken into once in San Francisco. The damage to the car, a broken window and damaged navigation system, was far more costly than the one thing stolen, a raincoat.

Rocky

DaddySS Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2006Fri 19-Jul-13 08:31 PM
798 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 0

Woodcliff Lake, US

Very sorry to hear of this. Hope you get it squared away without too much hassle. Do you have another camera to use while on vacation?

Richard

MTBright Registered since 29th Dec 2009Sat 20-Jul-13 12:16 AM
#8. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 5

Riverside, US

>Very sorry to hear of this. Hope you get it squared away
>without too much hassle. Do you have another camera to use
>while on vacation?

Thanks, yes I have another system I am trying out. For some reason they left or did not see the other bag with the fuji gear in it. An on shooting mostly with it anyways but does change a day or two that I was planing to shoot the Nikon.

cogrady Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2009Fri 19-Jul-13 09:21 PM
545 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

So sorry to hear this. It's quite a haul for a thief, and quite a loss for you. I'm sure the laptops had important files (maybe even images) that are now lost forever.

I guess you're going to find out how good your insurance really is. Keep us posted.

Claudia

www.one-eye-closed.com
www.lastlightphotographicstudios.com

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 19-Jul-13 09:54 PM
11277 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Sorry to hear this bad news. I hope that the insurance co. helps you get things sorted out.

This is always a fear when far from home and there is only so much you can do to protect yourself.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Bill Kennedy Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Jan 2013Sat 20-Jul-13 01:04 AM
352 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 7
Sat 20-Jul-13 01:05 AM by Bill Kennedy

Christiansburg, US

Before I went on a 36 day trip on Rt66 I had a security box made by Tuffy that was bolted in the back of my Jeep Liberty. It is 40" long, 13" deep and 13.5" high. Cost about $1100 and we kept my wife's purse in it as well.

If I were to it over, I would go 15" deep.

They will make any size you want and it has a 10 tumbler lock.

Piece of mind was worth it, and yes, I have an insurance policy on the camera gear.

Mycenius Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Feb 2006Sat 20-Jul-13 12:24 PM
335 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 0

Auckland, NZ

John
Kiwi Nikonian
D7100 | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G | Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G | Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D | Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G Micro

HayMower Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2008Sat 20-Jul-13 04:32 PM
188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 10

US

>

Double - Here's hoping they catch the scumbags and persecute them to the full extent of the law!

Hillbilly Harry - in the Missouri Ozarks.

D7000
D40X
AF-S 10-24
AF-S 18-55 VR
AF-S 55-300 VR
AF-S 50 1.4G
AF-S 35 1.8G
AF 85 1.8D
SB400
Nikon closeup attachments 0, 1, 3T, 4T

Giguchan Registered since 25th Aug 2007Sat 20-Jul-13 05:36 PM
101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 11

Long I$land, US

Harry,
got you some beautiful mountains there huh? any room for a 70-200? or do I have to rent something longer?!
Nikon D3
P7100
P5000
AW110
Plenty of Lenses to keep me busy.
Cheers
my Nikonians gallery.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sun 21-Jul-13 12:47 PM
3288 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 12

Dyserth, GB

I cannot begin to tell you how angry I am reading of your plight. How I think the perpetrator/s should be dealt with has no place here, but my thoughts go out to you both. It's a horrible feeling which leaves one empty.

I do hope the law does its job and that the insurance company step up and pay you out swiftly. It won't alter the violation aspect, but at least some compensation will help in other ways.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

CoolHandLou Registered since 20th Jul 2013Sun 21-Jul-13 10:44 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 0

Huntington Beach, US

>Tonight our car was broken into near jack London square in
>Oakland. We were on vacation and had several things stolen. My
>cAmera bag was taken with a d7100, d90, 70-200 2.8, 300 f4,
>105 micro, and 18-70 kit lens from an old d70. Also a Mac book
>air, Mac book pro 15" and a iPad. Plus all my wife's
>clothes.
>
>I have all the serial numbers at home. Not sure if I should be
>posting this here but feel a little helpless.
>Thanks
>
>Matt.

Matt, what a terrible loss. Not just the equipment, which can be replaced, but the lost photos which are really tangible forms of our memories. That hurts. Best wishes.

Cool Hand Lou

thecad Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2013Sun 21-Jul-13 11:19 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 0

Grovetown, US

I am so sorry to hear this. I hope the police get the perp(s) and prosecute.

James Cadwell

When your mouth drops open, click the shutter. -- Harold Feinstein

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Mon 22-Jul-13 05:26 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 22-Jul-13 08:06 PM by kentak

US

A horrible experience. But, did you not know about Oakland's crime stats?

Edited to add:

Here's a pertinent story. Consider yourself lucky. Had you been carrying your gear, a personal assault might not have been unlikely, as several news crews have found out in recent months.

http://gawker.com/oakland-thieves-hit-another-tv-news-crew-and-their-sec-509319115

Kent

PSAGuy Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008Mon 22-Jul-13 05:35 PM
715 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 0

Lake Elmo, US

Bad stuff....sorry to hear this.

Hopefully your insurance handles it...but then watch out !! Your rates will skyrocket. Insurance companies these days act like loan sharks when they pay a theft claim. You'd actually probably be better off taking out a loan and rebuying the gear, because the insurance company will raise your rates till they recoup the loss over a 3 year period. It just happened to me as well as 2 people I know.
Call your agent and ask for specifics on what will happen after you file the claim. Have them be very detailed on what will happen with your rates....and for how long. It's outrageous.

nikond90greg Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jan 2010Mon 22-Jul-13 06:52 PM
90 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 17

Yorba Linda, CA, US

I had my D90 cut right off of my Black Rapid strap in Nha Trang, Viet Nam,last March. Happened in a instant before I even realized it was gone. Luckily I had insurance and State Farm paid off in days. My rates haven't gone up, yet. It has been 16 months.

FLRuckman Registered since 02nd Apr 2013Mon 22-Jul-13 08:54 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 18

Collinsville, US

So sorry for your unfortunate incident. i'm traveling to France in September with my D7100, 12-24, 35 and 50mm lenses. Had planned to carry the camera with my Black Rapid Sport R and a small Lowepro over the shoulder bag. Any suggestions for ensuring that an insurance claim isn't necessary?
Thanks....

Mycenius Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Feb 2006Mon 22-Jul-13 09:25 PM
335 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 19
Mon 22-Jul-13 09:28 PM by Mycenius

Auckland, NZ

>So sorry for your unfortunate incident. i'm traveling to
>France in September with my D7100, 12-24, 35 and 50mm lenses.
>Had planned to carry the camera with my Black Rapid Sport R
>and a small Lowepro over the shoulder bag. Any suggestions
>for ensuring that an insurance claim isn't necessary?
>Thanks....

Camera Armor Tough Strap (or equivalent - the original Camera Armor brand itself is no longer available) is always good - it has built-in steel wire the whole length so can't be cut, as long as you use strong rings to connect it to the strap mounts on the camera it will be pretty secure...

But the best protection is probably to carry it in a nondescript bag of some type - like the Think Tank Retrospective or similar - and only have it out visible when taking a photo...

John
Kiwi Nikonian
D7100 | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G | Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G | Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D | Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G Micro

ardoluc Registered since 16th Feb 2013Sun 04-Aug-13 01:32 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 19

saint-jean-sur-richelieu, CA

Hi
Kelby training
Scott Kelby recommand when travelling not using any camera bag that is identified as such (Lowepro). He also recommend to use black tape over your camera name and model, so the thieves do not know if stealing your camera gear, is worth going to jail. Also do not use the camera strap that advertise the make or model of your camera. He also mentionned of not leaving from your eyes your camera gears at a restaurant, on a bus, or in a taxi, or in the subway.Do not put on the floor your camera bag, it will be stolen or you will forget to take it back when you leave. Scott recommands to bring only one lens, at the most two. Do not leave your camera gear in your room if it is not in the security safe that many rooms has in France hotel.

. I have been in Paris twelve days six years ago, and five years ago 21 days in Peovence near Marseille. Marseille is not anymore a safe place to travel. Be carefull France was badly hit by the 2008 economic crash. I have to say that both trips were amazing. At the time I carried only a Canon G7 and a Fujifilm sf100s bridge (only one day). Carrying a D7100 + lenses all day long is not for me.... The temperature in Provence was around 40C, in july

I wish you a wonderfull trip

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sun 04-Aug-13 01:56 PM
3288 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 31
Sun 04-Aug-13 01:59 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

Last year I was in Rome, Barcelona, Florence and Monte Carlo and I took a Tamrac Rally 6 messenger bag which contained a D7100 with a 16-35 f4 and a 28-300mm in one divider. See details: http://www.tamrac.com/products/rally6/ When I was walking through the cities I wore the bag over by neck and shoulder with the Tamrac badge and zip to the inside. Luckily, I experienced no problems, however the gazing eyes of suspicious looking folks was very apparent in the Rome and Barcelona tourist hot spots.

I always use a Sunsniper Pro - Steel and Bear strap so the camera strap cannot be cut. In the end it's an awful lot of trouble to go to just to be safe, however risk is everywhere and IMHO the European recession has little to do with it as there's always been low life around any corner

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

paulharvey Registered since 15th Jun 2013Mon 22-Jul-13 11:14 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 22-Jul-13 11:16 PM by paulharvey

US

Would you be able to spot any of your gear at a distance? Does any of it have identifying marks; or have you recorded the serial numbers?

The reason I ask is if you're still in the area you might be able to find the stuff yourself.

Browse the local pawn shops; you might see some (or all) of your equipment sitting on a shelf with a price tag on it. If you see it and can identify it, call the police and wait near by.

Not sure about California law, but in Ohio the pawn shop owner is required to turn the stuff—and any info on who pawned it—over to the police right at the scene. All you have to do it prove it's yours.

I know a guy who got his prized saxophone back that way. A couple days after it was stolen, he saw it in a pawn shop front window. He didn't go in but he did call the police. When they got there they took it from the window and asked the kid to describe it. Without seeing it up close, he was still able to list every scratch and dent on that thing. The police took it for "further investigation" and he had it back in a few days.

plankowner110 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004Tue 23-Jul-13 02:15 AM
469 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 21

Ohio, US

Matt,

I know exactly how you feel and it is awful. My camera bag and two suitcases were stolen in an instant from a locked automobile trunk while my wife and I were checking into the Holiday Inn in Pomezia (Rome), Italy. The car was parked at the front door!

We lost 22 rolls of film- photos of Germany (my wife's ancestral towns), Austria, and northern Italy. We returned to the USA with only two bottles of wine and no luggage (try explaining that to US Customs!) State Farm Insurance replaced my Nikon with a new F100 and lenses.

I still get that aching feeling when I think about all the precious photos we lost.

Bill
Nikon since 1970

cflehman Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2005Thu 25-Jul-13 01:26 AM
95 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 22

Colorado Springs, US

You know, it has always seemed to me that Nikon (and other camera companies) could help in this regard. We register our equipment with them so they have the serial numbers and if our gear is lost of stolen we should be able to email them the info. They could annotate the loss or theft. When gear comes in for repair it would be simple to bounce the serial number against what they have on file. Moreover, when we are buying used gear we could check the number with them to see if it was stolen. It is a service that they could easily implement.

Charlie
www.Charlie.Zenfolio.com

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Thu 25-Jul-13 02:03 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 23

Kingston, CA

>It is a service that they could easily implement.

I'm not so sure! If you were a camera repair center, would you want you and your staff to get involved in:

- telling customers their gear is believed stolen or was once stolen from a previous owner, and presumably withholding its return to the customer?
- getting involved in reporting and transferring stolen goods to the authorities?

Peter

cflehman Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2005Thu 25-Jul-13 01:40 PM
95 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 24

Colorado Springs, US

I don't think that they should get involved to that extent. They could, on receipt of equipment to repair, let the customer know it was reported stolen or lost. It could, if we request info, let us know if gear we intend on purchasing has been reported stolen or lost.

What does Nikon do with the info now? What is the point of registering? The first time I sent in a lens for repair many years ago, one which I had registered, I had to send a copy of the receipt if I wanted Nikon to even look at it. Since then I have not registered Nikon gear. When I need repair I just send in copies of the receipt. At least there would be some point to registering. BTW, this applies to Nikon USA, I would hope that Nikon is better elsewhere.

Charlie
www.Charlie.Zenfolio.com

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 25-Jul-13 02:27 PM
#26. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 25
Thu 25-Jul-13 02:28 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

UK/EU Nikon rules are: When one registers any camera (it will allow the registration of any piece of kit old or new) after a few weeks I received an e-mail and warranty certificate saying that "*The original purchase date will need to be verified by providing a valid VAT receipt or other evidence when requesting warranty service".

However, if one registers a lens or any other piece of kit no e-mail is sent by Nikon to confirm registration. Interestingly in it's repair T&C it says "a) Nikon shall be under no obligation to give the Customer an estimate before commencing to repair the Goods unless the Customer gives Nikon a written request for an estimate".

There is no quoted requirement when sending in an item for repair (unless under warranty) to send any receipt whatsoever.

Richard

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011Mon 29-Jul-13 04:19 AM
445 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 0

Chula Vista, US

I had a considerable amount of gear stolen in March so I can empathize with your plight. Hopefully your insurance company will handle your claim as efficiently and promptly as Farmers handled my claim – without my rates going up.

You should get the serial numbers to the police as soon as you can – although I learned that most stolen photographic gear in California is not recovered, when it is, it is usually the result of some other incident.

I learned checking pawn shops, Craig’s list and eBay was not worth the time. If you would happen to find what you think is your gear, contact the insurance company.

I could not find any place to let Nikon know that my gear was stolen even though I have all of my gear registered with them. I’m not sure why camera manufactures offer a place to register your gear except maybe for their marketing purposes and and easy to provide service to customers – it could help to prove ownership to your insurance company if they had questions.

When researching online solutions – any registry of stolen gear becomes a lot more complicated than what it initially seems so there are probably many reasons why such a registry is not common place.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

RMPANDIT Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jun 2009Mon 29-Jul-13 04:43 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 0

Pune, IN

Sorry to hear this.
If your Mac book also there than Pl. check with Apple/Mac people. I understand that there is some kind antitheft divice/software in mac, in which case one can able to trace out your mac.
RMPANDIT

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Mon 29-Jul-13 02:53 PM
308 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 28

Bellingham, US

Hello,
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your camera gear. I can't imagine how you must feel. I have had small things stolen from me and that hurt I can only imagine yours.
I live in a secure apartment so I do not have renters insurance. This building is new with a sprinkler system and whatnot. But your story inspired me to go out and get insurance on my camera gear. State Farm will insure the camera gear for a nominal amount. My bag just yells "steal me" and I am very self conscious when I am carrying it. It is a Kata with the tripod strapped on to the back.
I hope everything works out for you,
Bill

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see" Henry David Thoreau
(1817-62)

loveisageless Registered since 27th Feb 2011Sat 03-Aug-13 02:55 PM
116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 0

Oakland, US

I live in Oakland and am very sorry to hear of your loss. When you return home, please go on Craig's List for the SF/Bay Area and place a post under photo video with the serial numbers for your stolen gear. The photography community here is very good about checking serial numbers for stolen equipment. I know your insurance will probably reimburse you, but we'd really like to nail the thugs that do this kind of thing.

marinade Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Feb 2011Sun 04-Aug-13 02:26 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Camera gear stolen"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Matt I really feel your pain and personal violation. And I hope the rest of this post doesn't sound like closing the barn door after the horse gets out. Below is a link of a blog written by Lens Rental go-to guy Roger Cicala. While the bulk of the article is about theft prevention options there is some good info about recovery:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/06/protecting-yourself-from-gear-theft

I had a conversation this week with my insurance guy who has written an Inland Marine type of coverage for some musical instruments that I own. We attached some camera equipment to the back end of it. I didn't think it was enough so I put together a spread sheet with serial numbers and listed everything I owned and the cost of replacement. While I won't cram everything I own into a camera bag but what I do carry can rocket into 5 figures. I also did a photo inventory with legeible serial numbers, and a single pdf of my receipts. The rest of the gear was spread out and shot as though I was selling it on eBay. The photos, pdf, and the spread sheet now reside in Dropbox where I can access them. It took me a half a day to pull this off.
Where I'm going with this as photographers we gather visual evidence. It may be things we like or want to document. The easier we can provide supporting evidence to make a case the more odds are improved to get our gear back. The inventory packet can be printed out and placed in your luggage or trunk of your car if traveling. Copies, with a cover letter, can be made and sent to pawn shops and camera stores (who buy use equipment)in the area. Mention in the cover letter that folks will be coming in to check from time to time.

Again I really feel for your lost. I have had friends who have lost priceless musical instruments, some of them were insured, and some were actually recovered. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28994 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.