Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28929
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 Sensor Spots" Previous topic | Next topic
anymouse73 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jan 2013Wed 17-Jul-13 10:33 AM
70 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 Sensor Spots"

Philadelphia, US

Greetings,

I just wanted to know if anyone else was getting huge amounts of spots on their D7100 sensor?

It has been about 4 months since new.
I have done a lot of shooting.
There are about 60 spots that I can count on the sensor.
Some spots are hard edged, some are soft (like oil)
(different lenses, different pictures, same spots)

BTW these spots were found using the enhanced spot healing brush in Lightroom 5.

Your feedback is welcome.

Thanks,

Bob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7100 Sensor Spots
pater68
17th Jul 2013
Toby01 Silver Member
17th Jul 2013
rb4good Silver Member
17th Jul 2013
JosephK Silver Member
18th Jul 2013
dave_17531
18th Jul 2013
pater68
18th Jul 2013
anymouse73 Silver Member
18th Jul 2013
pater68
18th Jul 2013
anymouse73 Silver Member
19th Jul 2013

pater68 Registered since 17th Jul 2013Wed 17-Jul-13 10:44 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 Sensor Spots"
In response to Reply # 0

Budapest, HU

Often do you change lenses?

Peter

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Wed 17-Jul-13 05:10 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 Sensor Spots"
In response to Reply # 0

El Sobrante, US

After about 2k shots, I noticed about 7 spots on my D7100 at f/22. Not a problem: I just wet cleaned the sensor using the kit I bought from Copper Hill. I tried a rocket blower first, but it didn't get all the crud. The wet cleaning is easy if you follow the directions on the Copper Hill web site. There are also a fair number of other cleaning kits/methods. One caution: make sure you have a fully charged battery before starting the cleaning process; you wouldn't want the shutter closing and the mirror dropping while you have a cleaning swab in the mirror box.

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Wed 17-Jul-13 07:20 PM
4170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 Sensor Spots"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 17-Jul-13 07:22 PM by rb4good

Rocky Hill, US

After about 4,000 images, I noticed some spots in the sky of an HDR image. Checked the sensor using a sensor loupe and had what appeared to be about a dozen oil splatters plus some other debris. Wet cleaned and all is well so far after another 2,000 shots. I change lenses quite often and thus am prone to getting whatever on the sensors of my cameras and found that wet cleaning is the way for me to go.

Rick

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 18-Jul-13 04:27 AM
4147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7100 Sensor Spots"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 18-Jul-13 04:28 AM by JosephK

Seattle, WA, US

Dust on the sensor is a fact of life for DSLRs.
Try blowing it out with a rocket blower.
Next try a dry brush if it is not an oil problem.
Finally move to the wet cleaning if needed.

Good tutorials and products for cleaning at
http://www.CopperHillImages.com

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

dave_17531 Registered since 07th Sep 2010Thu 18-Jul-13 04:46 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7100 Sensor Spots"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I had spots on my sensor also. Took it in to the camera store where I bought it from and they cleaned it for me. Took them about 3 tries to get it cleaned. it was really noticeable on the sky shots. I do a lot of bird photography and couldn't believe I was getting spots so soon on my d7100.

pater68 Registered since 17th Jul 2013Thu 18-Jul-13 06:59 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7100 Sensor Spots"
In response to Reply # 5

Budapest, HU

Interesting. According to these new machines in Nikon occurs more often in the "oil" problem? The D600 has this problem. Now I can hear anything that paint a dusty mirror shaft. I do not know what the truth is. If you live often shift lens to understand the effects of dust. Try to pump blow out the dirt.

Peter

anymouse73 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jan 2013Thu 18-Jul-13 01:09 PM
70 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7100 Sensor Spots"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

Thanks, all, for the suggestions.

Peter, I probably do 85-90% of my shots with one lens, so I don't change it too often. But, I do switch lenses occasionally. I am conscious of the time the lens is off and try to shield the camera as much as possible and put the next lens on quickly or put the cover on. Now most of my lenses and the one I use the most is not an IF lens. I may be bellowing dust into the camera with the lens.???

BTW the oil seems to be primarily in the upper left corner of a landscape frame, though there were other oil spots in other areas. In my case, most of the spots were dust.

This time, I took the body to my local Calumet to be cleaned. I will eventually clean the sensor myself, after I do a little more research on the processes available. And again, thanks to all for your input in that regard. I will definitely check out all the processes mentioned.

I saw an antistatic brush in PopPhotography. I didn't think the company was still in business. I had one in the late 70s for dusting vinyl records before playing. It was really amazing. It had a slightly radioactive material in the handle (probably an alpha emitter) that neutralized any static. The dust literally fell off the album even without the brush. It wouldn't do anything for the oil, but the dust was my major issue.

What kind of wet swabs and cleaning fluids do you all use. I assume the cleaner is volatile so it evaporates quickly with no streaking.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how the cleaning went. (I also gave them a print of all the spots! courtesy of lightroom5 and Photoshop.)

Oh! does anyone know how to find the shutter counter on the D7100?

Bob

pater68 Registered since 17th Jul 2013Thu 18-Jul-13 03:36 PM
#8. "RE: D7100 Sensor Spots"
In response to Reply # 7

Budapest, HU

I use this: http://www.camerashuttercount.com/

Peter

anymouse73 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jan 2013Fri 19-Jul-13 12:02 PM
#9. "RE: D7100 Sensor Spots"
In response to Reply # 8
Fri 19-Jul-13 12:06 PM by anymouse73

Philadelphia, US

Thanks, Peter.
It worked great!

~2800 on the D3100
~1800 on the D7100

Bob

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28929 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.