Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28923
View in linear mode

Subject: "Using remote with my D7100" Previous topic | Next topic
AusGabby Registered since 16th Jul 2013Wed 17-Jul-13 12:29 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Using remote with my D7100"

AU

I've recently bought a D7100 after using the D7000 (which husband now has) and it seems a backward step to me to have to access the menu when I want to use the remote rather than have it on the dial like the D7000. I find it very frustrating when I turn off the camera to move to a new position and have to access the menu to turn the remote back on, especially when shooting in low light.

Am I missing something - and is there another way to turn it on?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Using remote with my D7100
MEMcD Moderator
17th Jul 2013
NickMilner Gold Member
17th Jul 2013
AusGabby
18th Jul 2013
rb4good Silver Member
17th Jul 2013
Mycenius Silver Member
18th Jul 2013
Toby01 Silver Member
18th Jul 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 17-Jul-13 12:42 AM
25732 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Using remote with my D7100"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 17-Jul-13 01:01 AM by MEMcD

US

Hi Glenda,

I assume you are using the ML-L3 IF Remote.
Have you tried using My Menu Recent Settings for faster access?

Replacing the ML-L3 with a WR-1 or a MC-DC2 wired remote will solve your problem.

Best Regards,
Marty

NickMilner Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2013Wed 17-Jul-13 08:13 AM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Using remote with my D7100"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 17-Jul-13 08:16 AM by NickMilner

Manchester, GB

I think it's also on the new "i" menu for quick access (actually, that might have been what you meant!)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

AusGabby Registered since 16th Jul 2013Thu 18-Jul-13 03:58 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Using remote with my D7100"
In response to Reply # 1

AU

Thanks everyone, looks like if I upgrade my remote trigger everything will be better. I too have been frustrated with bracketing and having to push the button multiple times.

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Wed 17-Jul-13 07:39 PM
4174 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Using remote with my D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Rocky Hill, US

I found the ML-L3 to be a nice gadget to use on a few occasions but not very good for anything else. As you said ,it was a pain to use, even going through the "I" menu and I could never find a way to do a bracket with one push of the button, had to push the button for each image(maybe I had something set wrong ?). Bought the MC-DC2 and now I'm a happy camper. Set a bracket, and push and hold the button and when the bracketing sequence is done, it stops.

Rick

Mycenius Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Feb 2006Thu 18-Jul-13 07:31 AM
335 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Using remote with my D7100"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 18-Jul-13 07:31 AM by Mycenius

Auckland, NZ

I must say I'm a bit lost by this - on the D90 you used to have to use a menu, but on the D7100 you just switch the dial to remote and the IR remote works - I've used mine a couple of times to do multiple exposures... Or do you mean you can't use the IR remote & multiple exposures *with* bracketing at the same time?

John
Kiwi Nikonian
D7100 | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G | Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G | Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D | Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G Micro

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Thu 18-Jul-13 09:21 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Using remote with my D7100"
In response to Reply # 5

El Sobrante, US

Hi, John.

I had the same response as the OP when I tried this on my D7100. On my D90, you could set it to use the IR remote by pushing down the middle button on the top right-hand side of the camera and turning the rear command wheel to the appropriate setting. On the D7100, you have to use a menu or the i button. This is the one area in which I think the D90 was better.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28923 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.