Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28885
View in linear mode

Subject: "7100 + commander mode + sb600?" Previous topic | Next topic
cporiger Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2003Sun 14-Jul-13 12:48 AM
136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"7100 + commander mode + sb600?"

Austin, US

I have the 7100 and a sb600. I was hoping I could use the commander mode on the 7100, turn off the built in flash and not trigger it when using the 600 in wireless remote. But it doesn't seem to work with the 600. Have any of you tried to do what I described?

Thanks
Chuck

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 7100 + commander mode + sb600?
km6xz Moderator
14th Jul 2013
cporiger Silver Member
15th Jul 2013
JosephK Silver Member
15th Jul 2013
km6xz Moderator
15th Jul 2013
cporiger Silver Member
17th Jul 2013
pgalligan
20th Jul 2013

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 14-Jul-13 02:33 PM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 7100 + commander mode + sb600?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 14-Jul-13 02:39 PM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

Using a SB600 in TTL remote wireless mode requires light pulse communications between the remote flash and the camera. That is done by the popup-flash set to Commander Mode, another CLS wireless compatible shoe mounted flash, such as another SB600, a SB700 or a SB900. It can also be accomplished by using a Nikon SU-800 IR optical commander mounted one the camera hot shoe.

When the popup flash is used as commander, you can set it to contribute to the exposure or to not add light to the exposure, even though the flash is firing, the exchange of communication pulses occur before the shutter opens. If you are close to the subject, they can be a little light contribution to the exposure however. At about 7-8 feet or more, the low power communications pulses will not contribute to the exposure unless you set the mode to Commander/TTL and some flash compensation value.

The Nikon Creative Lighting System uses a sequence of command and response light pulses immediately before the shutter is opened to poll the remote flashes and send back coded commands for power settings, based on the meter results of light falling on the subject when each remote is told to fire a reference flash. It is a complex system that works really well and with little input from the user.
So, the popup flash is needed if you are not using another model as commander.
You can trigger remote flashes as dumb slaves in SU-4 Mode but that is full manual in power settings. That is more practical for controlled studio environments.
You can also use radio triggers, but also manual in settings, however there are a few expensive RF triggers which work with CLS.

If you only need one remote flash, and have it in close proximity to the camera, a cable that attaches to the hot shoe and connects to the SB600 can be used in full TTL mode. Nikon has the SC-28 and SC-29 model cable assemblies for that purpose.
What are you trying to accomplish and under what conditions?
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

cporiger Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2003Mon 15-Jul-13 12:38 AM
136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 7100 + commander mode + sb600?"
In response to Reply # 1

Austin, US

Hey Stan, thanks for explanation. When I saw it flash I just assumed it was full power. I'm just trying to prepare to take some engagement photos of my oldest son and his fiancée. Off camera flash is certainly going to produce better results. My plan is to do these outdoors in open shade.

Thanks

Chuck

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 15-Jul-13 01:12 AM
4153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 7100 + commander mode + sb600?"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, WA, US

You will want to do some outdoors testing before the official shoot. Bright ambient light often cuts down the communication range.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 15-Jul-13 10:02 AM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: 7100 + commander mode + sb600?"
In response to Reply # 2

St Petersburg, RU

If you are using it outdoors be sure to point the flash body's front, where the light sensor is, towards your camera so it sees the command flashes. You can rotate and tilt the flash head towards you subjects.
If there is fill light needed while the SB600 is sharing duty as main light sources, you can still get some fill flash to brighten eye sockets etc by putting the popup flash in Commander mode, TTL and set some level of popup flash contribution. If there is primary light coming from the external flash and diffused sky light try -1ev as a experiment starting level if you need more fill with the popup flash from the camera's perspective. If there is backlighting, you are going to need all the light you can get to fill darker faces so use both the SB600 and built-in flash to balance the backlight.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

cporiger Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2003Wed 17-Jul-13 03:43 AM
#5. "RE: 7100 + commander mode + sb600?"
In response to Reply # 4

Austin, US

Stan, good point about turning the flash body toward my camera and the pop up. I would not have thought about that? This off camera flash stuff is complicated. All good advice. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Chuck

pgalligan Registered since 11th Dec 2012Sat 20-Jul-13 01:19 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: 7100 + commander mode + sb600?"
In response to Reply # 4

AU

>If you are using it outdoors be sure to point the flash
>body's front, where the light sensor is, towards your camera
>so it sees the command flashes. You can rotate and tilt the
>flash head towards you subjects.
FYI - on SB-600 the sensor for wireless flash is on the same side as the battery cover. The big red window on the front is for the AF assist.

+1 on testing outdoors before the event. You will definitely want to test wireless range. You may wish to assign some custom flash settings to My Menu as well as to Fn button and/or DOF Preview button. FV Lock is one option I like to have assigned to a button when using flash. Also consider a Stofen or similar diffuser to attach to the SB-600.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28885 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.