Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28833
View in linear mode

Subject: "Mirror clicking when I move the camera around-- is this..." Previous topic | Next topic
BOB3000 Registered since 11th Jul 2013Thu 11-Jul-13 12:29 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Mirror clicking when I move the camera around-- is this normal?"

US

Hello,

Sometimes, when my camera is on and I point it up and down, I hear what sounds like the mirror clicking up and down or the shutter opening. Is this normal?

I am at least new enough to the dslr scene that I don't know if this is normal or not. I was unable to find out any info by Googling.

Thank you!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Mirror clicking when I move the camera around-- is ...
RockyIII Gold Member
11th Jul 2013
luckyphoto Silver Member
11th Jul 2013
aolander Silver Member
11th Jul 2013
BOB3000
11th Jul 2013
Chris Platt Silver Member
12th Jul 2013
BOB3000
12th Jul 2013
Chris Platt Silver Member
13th Jul 2013

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Thu 11-Jul-13 01:04 AM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Mirror clicking when I move the camera around-- is this normal?"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

Is the sound the same regardless of what lens you are using?

Rocky

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Thu 11-Jul-13 11:03 AM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Mirror clicking when I move the camera around-- is this normal?"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

If you have the auto focus on continuous focus ( AF-C) the camera may be seeking new focus points. That would be normal.

Look through the viewfinder when you move it around to see if it is picking up new focal points or you could put the lens cap on and see if it still makes the sound when you move it around.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Thu 11-Jul-13 02:02 PM
3189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Mirror clicking when I move the camera around-- is this normal?"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

It may be the orientation (horizontal/vertical) sensor mechanism making a sound. The mirror isn't going to click unless there's something wrong with it.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

BOB3000 Registered since 11th Jul 2013Thu 11-Jul-13 08:27 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Mirror clicking when I move the camera around-- is this normal?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The sound is very much like the sound when you turn on Live View mode. It makes the sound when I tilt the camera up and down. I can not replicate it all the time. I will pay attention to whether it is a specific lens or not. It is not the auto focus sound, I dont think. Thank you for your help. Any other ideas?

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Fri 12-Jul-13 01:50 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Mirror clicking when I move the camera around-- is this normal?"
In response to Reply # 4

Newburg, US

Is there any chance you are inadvertently pressing the preview button on the lens mount? That would cause the lens diaphragm to stop down and then open back up when when you release the button. That might cause a slight sound.

Visit my gallery.

BOB3000 Registered since 11th Jul 2013Fri 12-Jul-13 09:09 PM
#6. "RE: Mirror clicking when I move the camera around-- is this normal?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I think you might be right! How embarrassing. I have chunky, large hands and that might be what has been happening. Stupid preview button. It is definitely the sound I was hearing. Thank you! I will post again if it turns out that wasn't it. So far it looks like the solution.

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Sat 13-Jul-13 03:08 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Mirror clicking when I move the camera around-- is this normal?"
In response to Reply # 6

Newburg, US

Glad you were able to resolve the problem. I've gained what little photographic knowledge I have by making a thousand embarrassing mistakes.

Visit my gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28833 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.