Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28823
View in linear mode

Subject: "Sandwich Pictures" Previous topic | Next topic
Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Wed 10-Jul-13 04:41 PM
362 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Sandwich Pictures"

Bellingham, US

Hello,
I will be getting my D7100 on Friday. I read somewhere that you can bracket photos for exposure and in the camera somehow sandwich them together into one pic with great range of color and exposure. My understanding is that the camera does this all.
Is this true?
Thanks.
Bill

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see" Henry David Thoreau
(1817-62)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Sandwich Pictures
MarkM10431 Silver Member
10th Jul 2013
Bela614 Silver Member
10th Jul 2013
wmcy Gold Member
11th Jul 2013
RRowlett Silver Member
11th Jul 2013
Bushido7100
11th Jul 2013
Bela614 Silver Member
11th Jul 2013
Bela614 Silver Member
11th Jul 2013
Bela614 Silver Member
11th Jul 2013

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Wed 10-Jul-13 04:50 PM
392 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Sandwich Pictures"
In response to Reply # 0

jacksonville, US

you might be confusing two different functions that do the same thing. if you do not shoot raw you can do in camera HDR, the cam will do the HDR work for you. i have found the results lacking. the 7100 also lets you bracket 3 or 5 frames, each with different exposures, so you can use software to create HDR images I use photomatix for that.

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Wed 10-Jul-13 05:00 PM
362 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Sandwich Pictures"
In response to Reply # 1

Bellingham, US

Thank you Mark. I am checking out your information now.

Thanks again,
Bill

(1817-62)

wmcy Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2006Thu 11-Jul-13 02:27 AM
794 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Sandwich Pictures"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu 11-Jul-13 02:37 AM by wmcy

Charlotte, US

Bill,

I use multiple exposures as Mark suggests, but process them in Nik Software's HDR Pro Efex 2 software. Try them both - I think trials are available.

Wm.

Visit my flickr site

RRowlett Silver Member Charter MemberThu 11-Jul-13 02:53 AM
1087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Sandwich Pictures"
In response to Reply # 0

Hamilton, US

If you shoot in jpeg mode, you can do 2-frame HDR in camera. It actually works pretty well in certain high contrast scenes, but not always well in AUTO mode. If you shoot brackets, there are many ways to merge them into an HDR image including in Photoshop elements.

Bushido7100 Registered since 03rd Jun 2013Thu 11-Jul-13 03:19 AM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Sandwich Pictures"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I also shoot Multiple exposures (sometimes 3 sometimes 5) And then combine them in Nik Hdr 2 for a photo realistic or Photomatix for something a bit more artistic. But to answer your question, the D7100 does in camera HDR.

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Thu 11-Jul-13 09:57 AM
#6. "RE: Sandwich Pictures"
In response to Reply # 5

Bellingham, US

I have been playing around with the photomatix and the results look good. I can hardly wait to try some more. What an excuse to use my good tripod instead of my backpacking one. Thank you for all your help.

I know this is probably the wrong place to ask but does Photoshop CS4 have such a function?
Thanks,
Bill

(1817-62)

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Thu 11-Jul-13 10:06 AM
#7. "RE: Sandwich Pictures"
In response to Reply # 6

Bellingham, US

I am going to hold off trying the Nik plug in. They only have a 15 day free trial and I want to get some more images before I pull the trigger.
Thanks,
Bill

(1817-62)

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Thu 11-Jul-13 10:46 AM
#8. "RE: Sandwich Pictures"
In response to Reply # 7

Bellingham, US

I can see I can do HDR in Photoshop CS4. But the results don't look as good as photomatics.
Bill

(1817-62)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28823 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.