Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28738
View in linear mode

Subject: "Will Nikon upgrade/FIX the D7100's buffer/write times o..." Previous topic | Next topic
Ronald Lee Registered since 10th Aug 2012Sun 07-Jul-13 01:07 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Will Nikon upgrade/FIX the D7100's buffer/write times on the memory card? Can't buy the D7100 if it sucks so bad"

Vancouver, CA

Hi there, I have a D7000 and I love it.

I've been playing around with the D7100 and I like it, I like the sharpness of it and a few other things, except that, as many have pointed out, the buffer is too small.

I've tested it with many types of SD cards and even the fastest is too slow for my tastes, compared to the D7000. I shoot mostly in full RAW files.

Now, the a question I have is whether Nikon will ever 1) release firmware to correct 2) update at the factory level, the buffer capacity of the camera?

I tell you, after taking about 4 to 6 shots, the camera is just lagging to write the files to the the memory card and I cannot shoot as fast as the D7000.

It may seem like a minor point to most people, but to us photogs, you know how important having the speed is.

Do you think Nikon even knows we are complaining about this and do you think they are planning to address it? Or is the D7100 pretty much a done product for them?

Anyone have actual inside knowledge of this?

I'd like to purchase the D7100, I'm just afraid it would drive me batty.

Ronald

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Will Nikon upgrade/FIX the D7100's buffer/write tim...
km6xz Moderator
07th Jul 2013
JosephK Silver Member
07th Jul 2013
jbloom Gold Member
07th Jul 2013
blw Moderator
07th Jul 2013
briantilley Moderator
07th Jul 2013
billD80 Silver Member
07th Jul 2013
Mycenius Silver Member
08th Jul 2013
blw Moderator
08th Jul 2013
anymouse73 Silver Member
07th Jul 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
07th Jul 2013
jbloom Gold Member
08th Jul 2013
Mycenius Silver Member
08th Jul 2013
08th Jul 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
09th Jul 2013
09th Jul 2013
PCassidy Gold Member
07th Jul 2013
08th Jul 2013
luckyphoto Silver Member
08th Jul 2013

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 07-Jul-13 01:44 AM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Will Nikon upgrade/FIX the D7100's buffer/write times on the memory card? Can't buy the D7100 if it sucks so bad"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

I doubt any change in the buffer is coming. It is not a firmware dependent subsystem so requires hardware memory to solve that problem.
The D7100 has a large buffer, compared to any other DX camera but since each file is so large, that large memory it has is used up very quickly.
Currently, the D4 is the camera to get if lower resolution is acceptable as a trade-off for extended buffer.
If there is a D400, it will probably have the buffer size you seek.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 07-Jul-13 11:30 PM
4147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Will Nikon upgrade/FIX the D7100's buffer/write times on the memory card? Can't buy the D7100 if it sucks so bad"
In response to Reply # 1

Seattle, WA, US

>If there is a D400, it will probably have the buffer size you seek.

I am with Stan on this. Buffer size is one of the distinguishing features of the multiple product lines.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sun 07-Jul-13 09:02 AM
6093 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Will Nikon upgrade/FIX the D7100's buffer/write times on the memory card? Can't buy the D7100 if it sucks so bad"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

You pay a price for those 24 megapixels, and it shows up all along the line, from the camera's buffer to the number of shots you get on a card, to the space the files take on your computer to the speed of processing the images. Personally, I would have been happier if the D7100 had been 16-MP like the D7000, but with the other improvements of the D7100.

As for future upgrades, I consider it highly unlikely that any firmware change could be made to improve the buffer. With regard to hardware, the only time I can recall that Nikon has offered such a thing was for the D3. But at the time, that was their top professional body and it cost $500 to have done. I can't picture them offering something like that for a $1200 body. (I'd be delighted to be wrong.) I'm afraid you'll have to wait for another body to come out.

This doesn't especially bother me since I don't shoot long bursts in RAW format. (I never even got that upgrade for my D3 and haven't missed not having it.) It seems to be the biggest complaint about the D7100, though.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 07-Jul-13 10:32 AM
26564 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Will Nikon upgrade/FIX the D7100's buffer/write times on the memory card? Can't buy the D7100 if it sucks so bad"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Is the D7100 even set up for maximum use of the buffer? Ie things like long exposure noise reduction, active d-lighting and other options turned off?

I seriously doubt that there's any fix coming, short of a new model.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 07-Jul-13 10:52 AM
28728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Will Nikon upgrade/FIX the D7100's buffer/write times on the memory card? Can't buy the D7100 if it sucks so bad"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

>Do you think Nikon even knows we are complaining about this...

Who is "we"? I'm sure write speed and buffer capacity is important for some types of shooting, but it's not like the D7100 is actually SLOW. I suspect you are over-estimating the number of folks who think this is a problem.

>...and do you think they are planning to address it? Or is the
>D7100 pretty much a done product for them?

I'd say Nikon made a deliberate choice on the compromises involved in specifying the D7100 (like any camera), and given its popularity they won't be rushing to change things.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 07-Jul-13 01:48 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Will Nikon upgrade/FIX the D7100's buffer/write times on the memory card? Can't buy the D7100 if it sucks so bad"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>I'd say Nikon made a deliberate choice on the compromises
>involved in specifying the D7100 (like any camera), and given
>its popularity they won't be rushing to change things.

I know, for some, the buffer is a compromise. I'm still a one-shot, no crop guy, and I am amazed at the advances the D7100 has, staying at the D7000 price-point!

Just the AF system advance and MP increase is great, and, for me, a larger buffer, requiring a more expensive processor would not have been worth it.

The D7100 is the latest in the string of truly great cameras, as is, and hard to believe for what it costs.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Mycenius Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Feb 2006Mon 08-Jul-13 10:00 AM
335 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Will Nikon upgrade/FIX the D7100's buffer/write times on the memory card? Can't buy the D7100 if it sucks so bad"
In response to Reply # 4

Auckland, NZ

>I'd say Nikon made a deliberate choice on the compromises
>involved in specifying the D7100 (like any camera), and given
>its popularity they won't be rushing to change things.

Yep Definitely - as Brian says the buffer is obviously a compromise that Nikon accepted in return for being able to fit everything else they wanted in - to have had larger and faster memory for the buffer would likely have pushed the cost (and thereby retail price) up significantly, and possibly required sacrificing something else from the functionality or processing ability of the camera...

John
Kiwi Nikonian
D7100 | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G | Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G | Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D | Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G Micro

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 08-Jul-13 11:27 AM
26564 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#15. "RE: Will Nikon upgrade/FIX the D7100's buffer/write times on the memory card? Can't buy the D7100 if it sucks so bad"
In response to Reply # 11

Richmond, US

> larger and faster memory for the buffer would likely have pushed the cost (and thereby retail price) up significantly

Nah. The buffer is DRAM, which is neither physically large nor particularly expensive these days. Another six frames of buffer memory amounts to something on the order of 200 MB. Given that we are now generally passing out of the 8Gbit DRAM generation, a single chip is 1Gbyte, meaning that even at design time the cost of the additional memory was not large. In fact, it's even possible that they had to reserve a supply of older technology to get the buffer size DOWN to what it is. This was clearly a decision designed to limit functionality.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

anymouse73 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jan 2013Sun 07-Jul-13 07:08 PM
70 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Will Nikon upgrade/FIX the D7100's buffer/write times on the memory card? Can't buy the D7100 if it sucks so bad"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

I also shoot only Raw format I noticed the same thing when I tried to shoot some action shots on Continuous-High. I got about 5 or 6 shots and the buffer filled.

This happened with a Transcend 16GB SDHC card and a SanDisk Ultra MicroSDHC card in an adapter. (both Read at 30MB/s and Write at 10MB/s) They cost me approx $1/GB.

I then purchased two 32GB SanDisk ExtremePro (Gold Label) SDHC cards. (Read at 95MB/s; Write at 90MB/s) They cost me approx $2/GB.

Now on Continuous-High the buffer fills at about 12 shots, and on Continuous-Low the card seems to keep up. I shot 40 shots without overflowing the buffer (and I released the button). If there is a limit on C-L, it's more than I think I would ever need to shoot.

Perhaps this will give you at least a partial solution to the buffer issue.

Hope this helps,

Bob

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sun 07-Jul-13 09:44 PM
3314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Will Nikon upgrade/FIX the D7100's buffer/write times on the memory card? Can't buy the D7100 if it sucks so bad"
In response to Reply # 6

Dyserth, GB

I think we need to get this buffering issue into some sort of perspective. In other threads, especially relating to the latest firmware upgrade, I have stated I was a little disappointed that it didn't address the buffering speed. However, it has been pointed out that this is a hardware issue. When one considers the camera that can be bought for the price of the D7100 and what it does for the money, we have in my view the best Nikon non semi pro camera money can buy.

Most on these forums, including me, are not professional photographers, serious amateurs maybe and don't require the buffering that is "thought" to be needed. I was out today capturing birds in flight and I barely noticed the buffering, after all by the time I stopped clicking the bird was long gone.

I think we need to be a bit pragmatic and accept that the D7100 gives a lot of bang for our bucks, but at its price it is never going to be a D4

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 08-Jul-13 10:10 AM
6093 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Will Nikon upgrade/FIX the D7100's buffer/write times on the memory card? Can't buy the D7100 if it sucks so bad"
In response to Reply # 7

Wethersfield, US

>When one considers the camera that can be bought for
>the price of the D7100 and what it does for the money, we have
>in my view the best Nikon non semi pro camera money can buy.

That's true, and I think most people would agree. But what bothers those who are doing the loudest complaining is that there is no middle ground between the D7100 and the top-of-the-line camera, and not even a more top-of-the-line DX camera.

If Nikon had a model at say, $2000, that had the deep buffer some people demand, along with other professional-grade characteristics (weather sealing, etc), it would stem most of the complaining. What a lot of people, including me, find mystifying is why Nikon doesn't have such a model. It's certainly not for technical reasons, so I can only assume they just don't think it would sell well enough.

Meanwhile, I find the D7100 adequate for just about any use, including sports, until I need to shoot in low available light, when it's time to break out the FX body.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Mycenius Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Feb 2006Mon 08-Jul-13 10:07 AM
335 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Will Nikon upgrade/FIX the D7100's buffer/write times on the memory card? Can't buy the D7100 if it sucks so bad"
In response to Reply # 6

Auckland, NZ

>This happened with a Transcend 16GB SDHC card and a SanDisk
>Ultra MicroSDHC card in an adapter. (both Read at 30MB/s and
>Write at 10MB/s) They cost me approx $1/GB.
>
>I then purchased two 32GB SanDisk ExtremePro (Gold Label) SDHC
>cards. (Read at 95MB/s; Write at 90MB/s) They cost me approx
>$2/GB.

Yep - there is plenty of evidence and feedback out there showing that you should stick with the approved SD Cards for Nikon Cameras (e.g. SanDisk). I'm pretty sure Transcend (as an example) isn't one of them...

...and with SanDisk you definitely want the ExtremePro cards (with the gold labels) - the standard Extreme or Ultra ones aren't fast enough for the D7100...

Check out here:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/camera_wb_multi_page9ec1.html?cid=6007-12451
(This is with a D800 from mid-last year but I believe is the closest comparison to a D7100's performance).

John
Kiwi Nikonian
D7100 | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G | Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G | Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D | Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G Micro

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 08-Jul-13 10:46 AM
3314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Will Nikon upgrade/FIX the D7100's buffer/write times on the memory card? Can't buy the D7100 if it sucks so bad"
In response to Reply # 12

Dyserth, GB

<<Yep - there is plenty of evidence and feedback out there showing that you should stick with the approved SD Cards for Nikon Cameras (e.g. SanDisk>>

I'll vouch for that. I use Lexar Professional 600X, 90MB/s, 32GB, SDHC Cards, which is the highest SD card they produce. Shame, as if the D7100 had an CF card slot then a x1000 could be bought as I have in my D800. I've used Transcend and Kingston and neither did what they claimed.

By reading about and adjusting my D7100 techniques I am happy with what I can achieve with the D7100.

The D400 is coming and I'm confident in that. Whether I will change is unlikely, as I think the additional cost for the extra features may be too excessive.

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Tue 09-Jul-13 05:40 PM
386 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Will Nikon upgrade/FIX the D7100's buffer/write times on the memory card? Can't buy the D7100 if it sucks so bad"
In response to Reply # 6

jacksonville, US

that's also dependent on shutter speed. i was experiemtning where i was shooting Jpeg-fine, shutter was about 1/250 and could fire till the card was full. shooting at 1/2000. the buffer was full inside 15 frames.

YMMV

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 09-Jul-13 06:11 PM
#18. "RE: Will Nikon upgrade/FIX the D7100's buffer/write times on the memory card? Can't buy the D7100 if it sucks so bad"
In response to Reply # 17
Tue 09-Jul-13 06:12 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

<<i was experiemtning where i was shooting Jpeg-fine, shutter was about 1/250 and could fire till the card was full. shooting at 1/2000. the buffer was full inside 15 frames.>>

I'm sure there's a good reason for that, however whatever the reason is escapes me as to why That should make such a great difference!

Richard

PCassidy Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2011Sun 07-Jul-13 09:58 PM
142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Will Nikon upgrade/FIX the D7100's buffer/write times on the memory card? Can't buy the D7100 if it sucks so bad"
In response to Reply # 0

Gainesville, US

I don't have any problems with the D7100 or the buffer read/write speeds but if you need more speed try this.

Shoot JPG/fastest or RAW/slower in crop mode
Have the buffer write go to one card and the other card set for overflow

That should yield you a respectable read/write and RAW would be just a bit slower of course. As for complaining I certainly am not, I think it is a great camera with the sharpness and resolution I've been waiting for IMHO. The camera excels in many areas but a little speed issue does not make it suck.

Sports and nature photographers might not like it as much if speed is an issue I have other camera bodies for that

Cheers

Paul

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. Einstein
------------------------------------------------------>
Nikon F, F2, F3, F4, F5 & F100
Nikon D300 D7100

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 08-Jul-13 06:05 AM
#10. "RE: Will Nikon upgrade/FIX the D7100's buffer/write times on the memory card? Can't buy the D7100 if it sucks so bad"
In response to Reply # 8

Dyserth, GB

<<Shoot JPG/fastest or RAW/slower in crop mode
Have the buffer write go to one card and the other card set for overflow>>

Agreed. I often use the crop mode for that very reason. Also as a birder there is another bonus, that being it trains me to track the subject within a more confined area and that, I find, improves my skill.

Richard

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Mon 08-Jul-13 11:34 AM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Will Nikon upgrade/FIX the D7100's buffer/write times on the memory card? Can't buy the D7100 if it sucks so bad"
In response to Reply # 10

Port Charlotte, US

Also, make sure Auto Distortion is OFF. This is a real CPU hog and will slow the writes down. You can do distortion control in post processing.

If you absolutely need the high frame rate, get a Nikon 1 J3 which shoots at 15 fps in RAW. The buffer will hold 20 RAW images.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28738 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.