Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28729
View in linear mode

Subject: "Did everything wrong" Previous topic | Next topic
Seragone Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2012Sat 06-Jul-13 07:37 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Did everything wrong"

Reston, US

Fourth of July on a boat in the Potomac River. Thus, no tripod, no slow exposure; just the D7100 and my 35mm 1.8. Instead of flowing colors I got pinpoints of color. But the shoreline helps make the photo something more than colors--I hope! What could I have done differently?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 06-Jul-13 07:46 PM
4100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Did everything wrong"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

For a shutter speed of 1/250, they came out much better than I expected. If you are in a boat as small as what is in the pictures, there is not much you can do due to the wave action. However, experimenting with slightly slower shutter speeds and VR set at "active" might be good to try.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Seragone Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2012Sun 07-Jul-13 11:40 AM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Did everything wrong"
In response to Reply # 1

Reston, US

Forgot about active vr, will try to remember next year. I tried a slower shutter speed and that caused some of the colors to look blotchy.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 07-Jul-13 11:24 PM
4100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Did everything wrong"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, WA, US

Yah, ideally you are looking for 3-5 second exposures from a locked down tripod on a non-moving platform. But when you cannot have that, experimenting is the way to go.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28729 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.