Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28695
View in linear mode

Subject: "How to use mc-dc2 cable release - wiggly fireworks" Previous topic | Next topic
Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sat 06-Jul-13 12:24 AM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How to use mc-dc2 cable release - wiggly fireworks"
Sat 06-Jul-13 12:25 AM by Steve6344

Aventura, US

I have wiggles in my fireworks. I was shooting in bulb mode on a tripod, and thought I had turned of the autofocus but I hadn't. That might account for the wiggles.

I realized also that I wasn't sure how to use the cable release with mirror up so I didn't use mirror up - that may have contributed to the wiggles too.

The way I was using it was to press and slide the cable release button on-wait about 5 seconds and slide it back to the off position. How does one use the cable release when doing mirror up?

(They weren't all this bad!)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How to use mc-dc2 cable release - wiggly fireworks
MEMcD Moderator
06th Jul 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
06th Jul 2013
Pete Wilson Gold Member
06th Jul 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
06th Jul 2013
MEMcD Moderator
07th Jul 2013
Gamecocks Silver Member
06th Jul 2013
billD80 Silver Member
06th Jul 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
06th Jul 2013
luckyphoto Silver Member
06th Jul 2013
sabbey51 Silver Member
07th Jul 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
07th Jul 2013
billD80 Silver Member
06th Jul 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
07th Jul 2013
HenkB Silver Member
07th Jul 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
07th Jul 2013
billD80 Silver Member
07th Jul 2013
HenkB Silver Member
07th Jul 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 06-Jul-13 11:48 AM
24978 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How to use mc-dc2 cable release - wiggly fireworks"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Steve,

I don't think Mirror slap is the problem or even a contributing factor given a 5 sec. or so shutter speed.

Could you have been inadvertantly bumping the tripod or pulling on the cable release cord?

Are you using a solid tripod that was firmly planted on solid ground?

Did you have the center column of the tripod extended?

> How does one use the cable release when doing mirror up?

Press the button once to raise the mirror and then again to release the shutter.

Best Regards,
Marty

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sat 06-Jul-13 12:09 PM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How to use mc-dc2 cable release - wiggly fireworks"
In response to Reply # 1

Aventura, US

Thanks for responding. Do you think leaving the autofocus on (inadvertently) could have caused the problem?

Yes the tripod was on solid ground and I did have the center column extended because I am 6'4". Yes it's possible I inadvertently pulled on the cable release or touched the tripod. Most of my shots had some sort of wigglr though.

About the cable release.

You said: "Press the button once to raise the mirror and then again to release the shutter."

The cable release has two modes.
In Mode 1 you press the button.

In mode 2 you slide the button into a locked position.

So is this correct:
In mode 1 you press the button once to initiate mirror up. Then you press the button and keep it depressed for the duration of the desired exposure and then remove your finger to end the exposure.

In mode 2 you also press the button once to initiate mirror up. Then you press and slide the button into a locked position. When you want to end the exposure you 'unslide' the button.

Pete Wilson Gold Member Nikonian since 27th Jun 2004Sat 06-Jul-13 01:52 PM
851 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: How to use mc-dc2 cable release - wiggly fireworks"
In response to Reply # 2

Lake Orion, US

Steve,
I believe the problem is camera shake. I think both mirror slap vibration and extended center column played a role. I strongly believe that a tripod with a fully extended center column is no longer a tripod - it has now become a monopod sitting on top of a tripod - not very stable.

The duration of the burst as shown in your picture is only fractions of a second - short enough for the camera shake to play a major factor. Even though your entire exposure was 5 seconds the burst is very short. This shot was probably worse than others because I'm guessing you pressed the release the same instant as the burst of the firework. Others will have less shake because you pressed the release prior to the firework explosion and the camera hadmamchance to settle down a bit before the burst.

Next time I would set the camera to manual focus. Use mirror lock-up. To use mirror lock-up with a release: press the release once to lock up the mirror, then press a second time to take the picture - doesn't matter on the second press if you hold the button the entire time or use the sliding lock to hold the button. The important thing is that you don't pull on the release which may cause the camera to move.

Don't extend the center column of your tripod. I sit in a chair while watching and shooting fireworks so my tripod is never very high at all.

Pete Wilson
Nikonian from Lake Orion, Michigan
My Nikonians gallery

Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sat 06-Jul-13 02:57 PM
#7. "RE: How to use mc-dc2 cable release - wiggly fireworks"
In response to Reply # 4

Aventura, US

Thanks Pete. What you say makes sense. I will only extend the tripod when I'm not doing long exposures from now on.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 07-Jul-13 01:17 PM
24978 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: How to use mc-dc2 cable release - wiggly fireworks"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Steve,

>Thanks for responding. Do you think leaving the autofocus on
>(inadvertently) could have caused the problem?

No!

>Yes the tripod was on solid ground and I did have the center
>column extended because I am 6'4". Yes it's possible I
>inadvertently pulled on the cable release or touched the
>tripod. Most of my shots had some sort of wigglr though.

Having the center column extended is like placing a monopod on top of your tripod. This decreases stability and vibration dampening and is likely the largest contibuting factor to your problem.

>So is this correct:
>In mode 1 you press the button once to initiate mirror up.
>Then you press the button and keep it depressed for the
>duration of the desired exposure and then remove your finger
>to end the exposure.

Yes!

>In mode 2 you also press the button once to initiate mirror
>up. Then you press and slide the button into a locked
>position. When you want to end the exposure you 'unslide' the
>button.

Yes!

Best Regards,
Marty

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sat 06-Jul-13 12:35 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How to use mc-dc2 cable release - wiggly fireworks"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

Hi Steve,

Perhaps there is nothing wrong with your use of the cable as I believe that with a 5 second exposure the wiggles are a result of the falling and turning of the fireworks media. Had you used a shorter exposure time I don't believe you'd see the wiggles. Just a thought.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 06-Jul-13 02:23 PM
2117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: How to use mc-dc2 cable release - wiggly fireworks"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 06-Jul-13 02:24 PM by billD80

US

The "wiggles" aren't due to mirror slap, or the AF, or the fireworks themselves. They're a vibration most likely from the tripod itself being bumped. Or the platform on which its placed vibrating due to people walking, or some other reason inducing low frequency vibration.

I never bother with mirror up, and in the posted picture, it wouldn't have mattered.

What you CAN do is use the self-timer mode, set at 2-secs. GENTLY press and release the shutter button, and go from there.

I use that approach all the time, under circumstances much more demanding than night/long exposure shots (which tend to be very forgiving of small vibration).

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sat 06-Jul-13 02:55 PM
#6. "RE: How to use mc-dc2 cable release - wiggly fireworks"
In response to Reply # 5

Aventura, US

I don't think it was vibration from the ground because the tripod was on brick. Possibly I touched the tripod because I was pretty close. I have a remote so maybe I'll use that next time. Here is one that came out a little better.

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sat 06-Jul-13 04:37 PM
680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: How to use mc-dc2 cable release - wiggly fireworks"
In response to Reply # 6

Port Charlotte, US

I would say that it's more likely the tripod, lens or vibration than mirror slap. Mirror slap is not nearly that exaggerated and will normally show up as a lack of sharpness on long exposures. Here's a demo video.

http://petapixel.com/2011/05/02/dslr-mirror-vibration-shown-using-a-laser-pointer/

Brick will transmit vibration better than soil. Especially if the tripod is sitting on the bricks with the leg spikes extended.

A good tripod makes all the difference. Here's a Manfroto video to show how different tripods shake after being hit.

http://vimeo.com/11285845

Are all the photos the same? If so it wasn't a random hitting of the tripod. Do the wiggly lines get smaller (attenuate) over time or do they stay the same approximate size?

What lens were you using? Nikon, Sigma, Tamron, etc? If it's an older 3rd party lens it might require a firmware or chip upgrade to be compatible with the D7100 AF system.

Just some things to think about.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

sabbey51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Sun 07-Jul-13 12:54 AM
479 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: How to use mc-dc2 cable release - wiggly fireworks"
In response to Reply # 8

Saddle river, US

Larry - the tripod tap-test video is an excellent reference. Perhaps the guys over at the tripod forum would like to see it.

It makes three points to me:
- never use the center column if you can help it (I removed the column from my Gitzo 2541 to avoid temptation)
- proper technique to stabilize the tripod through weighting it AND AVOIDING KNOCKING IT can help
- there is a difference between tripods which is measurable

Scott

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sun 07-Jul-13 01:42 AM
#12. "RE: How to use mc-dc2 cable release - wiggly fireworks"
In response to Reply # 8

Aventura, US

If you look at the first picture I posted, some of the wiggles seem to get bigger as a function of time.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 06-Jul-13 04:50 PM
2117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: How to use mc-dc2 cable release - wiggly fireworks"
In response to Reply # 6
Sat 06-Jul-13 04:57 PM by billD80

US

I have a remote so maybe I'll use that next
>time. Here is one that came out a little better.
>

The vibration is still there... Were you using a long lens, perhaps too heavy for the tripod? Not only is there vibration, it also seem to be lasting longer than you'd expect.

Somehow, I don't think the vibration relates at all to your method of firing the shutter...

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sun 07-Jul-13 01:40 AM
#11. "RE: How to use mc-dc2 cable release - wiggly fireworks"
In response to Reply # 9

Aventura, US

I was using an 18-300 zoom probably at about 150-175mm. The tripod is rated for 18 pounds. My gear including the lens is about 5 lbs.

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004Sun 07-Jul-13 03:20 AM
507 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: How to use mc-dc2 cable release - wiggly fireworks"
In response to Reply # 0

Wayland, US

Did you remember if you disengaged the VR?

Think about the shape and period of the wave form. Remember, each of those trails is a time trace of the glowing payload. In order to produce this image, your camera would have to have been oscillating in a substantial arc around the axis of the center post of the tripod. You certainly would have noticed such a 'Rosemarie's Baby' incident. I vote VR.

Best,

Hendrik

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sun 07-Jul-13 11:42 AM
#14. "RE: How to use mc-dc2 cable release - wiggly fireworks"
In response to Reply # 13

Aventura, US

VR was definitely off. I remembered to do that and I checked it afterward. That was when I saw that the AF was on. I had also set AF Off initially at home but switched it on at the beginning of the shoot when I was setting up but never switched it back off.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 07-Jul-13 01:37 PM
#16. "RE: How to use mc-dc2 cable release - wiggly fireworks"
In response to Reply # 14
Sun 07-Jul-13 01:39 PM by billD80

US

>VR was definitely off. I remembered to do that and I checked
>it afterward. That was when I saw that the AF was on. I had
>also set AF Off initially at home but switched it on at the
>beginning of the shoot when I was setting up but never
>switched it back off.

My vote is, big explosions, use of long tele, and tripod (while perhaps good) not up the combination of the first two factors.

Try this... As suggested earlier, set your gear up, with the same zoom setting (no VR). Focus on a point of light, and while looking through the lens (or perhaps with LiveView), just tap the front of the lens barrel, and see how much wobble you get. It should settle VERY quickly (a second).

Shooting at 150mm and up will really exaggerate any motion (I usually shoot fireworks at 8 to 12 mm).

Also, big booms can send reverberation through the air and the ground... This would explain the larger wiggles in the latter part of the first image.

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004Sun 07-Jul-13 03:30 PM
507 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: How to use mc-dc2 cable release - wiggly fireworks"
In response to Reply # 16

Wayland, US

On reflection, the explanation you offer is the simplest. What is striking is the persistence of the wiggles with little evidence of damping if the middle of the waveforms are not taken into account. But freakish timing of several explosions could set up an oscillation in the tripod and keep it refreshed over the length of the exposure. A rogue wave, if you will. The oscillation doesn't need to be isolated to the center column, either. It's likely that an inch up or down might very well have changed the resonance of the tripod/camera system sufficiently to partially (or mostly?) eliminate the effect.

Best,

Hendrik

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28695 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.