Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28673
View in linear mode

Subject: "How hard is it to view the top display? Is it used oft..." Previous topic | Next topic
Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Thu 04-Jul-13 05:37 PM
295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How hard is it to view the top display? Is it used often?"

Bellingham, US

Hello,
I am a d70 owner thinking about going to a D7100. I checked one out at Best Buy and noticed I could not read the top view screen. I am very far sighted and need reading glasses to read small print. Once you get the camera set up the way you like it how often do you need to view the top view screen. I shoot mostly in manual and auto.
Thanks for your help.
Bill

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see" Henry David Thoreau
(1817-62)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

NickMilner Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2013Thu 04-Jul-13 08:21 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How hard is it to view the top display? Is it used often?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 04-Jul-13 08:23 PM by NickMilner

Manchester, GB

I'm in the same boat and I also struggle with some aspects of the top LCD panel. However, there are some aspects that still make it useful: the important parameters are large enough to read, and when you're changing specific parameters (e.g. ISO) all the other information disappears so you can concentrate on the setting you want to change.

One final point is that although some settings are too small to read you get to learn where things are. For example, although I shoot in raw and can fix WB in post I firmly believe in getting the shot right in-camera, so I carry WB cards and use the custom WB settings. The problem is that the indicators for WB are about three or four microns in height (or that's how it seems!) and completely unreadable. But it's not so bad because you learn that auto is the far left and custom is the far right so you can spin the dial and get the right setting purely by location.

You can always use the back screen but if you shoot in manual (which I do as well) the top display is pretty handy.

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Thu 04-Jul-13 08:26 PM
295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How hard is it to view the top display? Is it used often?"
In response to Reply # 1

Bellingham, US

Hello Nick,
Thats what I used to do with my D70. I knew where the symbols were located and could figure out what the setting was. Same with ISO standing alone in the viewer. It sounds like it is not too much different than the D70. I was hoping for an improvement but I am adaptable.
Thanks again for your answer.
Bill

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see" Henry David Thoreau
(1817-62)

NickMilner Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2013Thu 04-Jul-13 09:08 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How hard is it to view the top display? Is it used often?"
In response to Reply # 2

Manchester, GB

It's a shame they haven't cottoned on to e-ink displays yet. They're bit mapped so they're as flexible as the rear panel, they only get easier to read the brighter the sun, and they only consume energy when they're updated - you could have all your shooting parameters displayed all the time whether the camera was on or off.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28673 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.