Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2866
View in linear mode

Subject: "Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
docimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2004Sun 05-Dec-10 10:17 PM
42 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"

Eau Claire, US

I've had my D7000 for a couple of weeks now, and something strange has going on with it since I first started using it. I can't tell has to do with the settings I'm using, or if there is a problem with the camera. I've used a D70, D70s and a D80 over the years, so I'm pretty familiar with these cameras.

The problem is that I'll be shooting images, and everything is autofocusing fine, and suddenly the camera stops autofocusing - the AF-S disappears from the display, and it allows me to take an out of focus photo, no beep. I have the camera set on AF-S, Shutter priority, using the viewfinder (not Live View) and I have the autofocus priority menu setting on "focus", not "release".

I have not been able to create a reproducible situation to purposely recreate the problem. It does not seem to be happening because the flash is charging (in that instance, the AF-S remains on the display, but it just won't let me take a photo). It does seem (possibly) to occur right after I zoom in on my subject with my Nikkor 18-135 DX lens.

I've attached an image of my camera which shows the display on the top of the camera both during and after this problem occurs. As you can see, when this is happening the AF-S is gone, and the focusing array shows only one focus point.

The inability to focus seems to resolve itself in about six seconds if I hit the right buttons - but I have not been able to define exactly what those buttons are - it seems to randomly start working again. When I took these photos I didn't touch any buttons so I could take these photos with another camera- the AF-S remained off the display for many minutes. All it took was a 1/2 click of the shutter release to get the display to revert to normal this time.

So far, I have not been able to make this happen if the camera is on Auto or one of the Scene modes - but I usually shoot in Shutter Priority so this is a big problem. I've missed a number of shots because this basically makes the camera unusable until the autofocusing starts again.

Anybody have any insights for me? The autofocus system on this camera is a bit more complicated than the D80 - so I may be missing something. The images, when it works properly, are amazingly sharp.

Thanks.

Steve

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000
billD80 Silver Member
06th Dec 2010
JHCIII Silver Member
06th Dec 2010
docimmer Silver Member
06th Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
06th Dec 2010
docimmer Silver Member
06th Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
06th Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
07th Dec 2010
aspan
07th Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
07th Dec 2010
km6xz Moderator
07th Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
07th Dec 2010
km6xz Moderator
07th Dec 2010
docimmer Silver Member
07th Dec 2010
Ray Dockrey
07th Dec 2010
poc
08th Dec 2010
docimmer Silver Member
09th Dec 2010
dscoleman
12th Dec 2010
docimmer Silver Member
12th Dec 2010
docimmer Silver Member
12th Dec 2010
docimmer Silver Member
19th Dec 2010
jckingca Silver Member
19th Dec 2010
docimmer Silver Member
19th Dec 2010
dm1dave Administrator
19th Dec 2010
docimmer Silver Member
19th Dec 2010
Blue_green_water
20th Dec 2010
shepx213
20th Dec 2010
docimmer Silver Member
20th Dec 2010
bdirect
20th Dec 2010
                                                  Reply message RE: Autofocus issues
hyphotographer
04th Jul 2013
Reply message RE: CONTACT(s)!
intrepid24
21st Dec 2010
docimmer Silver Member
21st Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
21st Dec 2010
kytra
21st Dec 2010
Robman3 Gold Member
21st Dec 2010
docimmer Silver Member
21st Dec 2010
output555 Silver Member
21st Dec 2010
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
21st Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
21st Dec 2010
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
21st Dec 2010
Blue_green_water
22nd Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
22nd Dec 2010
Blue_green_water
22nd Dec 2010
bdirect
21st Dec 2010
jdbimages
21st Dec 2010
jdbimages
21st Dec 2010
Blue_green_water
22nd Dec 2010
km6xz Moderator
22nd Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
22nd Dec 2010
bdirect
22nd Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
22nd Dec 2010
bdirect
22nd Dec 2010
docimmer Silver Member
02nd Jan 2011
briantilley Moderator
02nd Jan 2011
billmims
23rd Feb 2013
briantilley Moderator
24th Feb 2013
billD80 Silver Member
24th Feb 2013
briantilley Moderator
24th Feb 2013
MasterDabber Silver Member
24th Feb 2013
Mycenius Silver Member
06th Jul 2013
Vlad_IT Silver Member
13th Jul 2013
hyphotographer
02nd Aug 2013
Mycenius Silver Member
02nd Aug 2013
hyphotographer
03rd Aug 2013

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 06-Dec-10 12:48 AM
2116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

To me, since you actually have screen shots, this is absolutely something to run by Nikon.

Is it perhaps a contact issue? Have you tried twisting the lens in the camera a mount slightly back and forth? (With the camera off?)

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

JHCIII Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2007Mon 06-Dec-10 04:50 PM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

monroe, US

I've had my D7000 for just a couple of days, but have seen this problem with my 2 different non-nikon lenses (Tamron 17-50 f/2.8). In each case, the remedy is just a firm twist of the lens to mount it a bit more snugly on the camera. I've cleaned all the contacts, but it still seems to require this firm twist, and so far, only seeing this with the Tamrons. If it's just a twist, I can live with it! Never had this sort of prob over 3 years with D300.

docimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2004Mon 06-Dec-10 05:13 PM
42 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

Eau Claire, US

I'm somewhat relieved to hear someone else noticing this issue. I'm going to try a different lens and see if the problem persists.

Steve

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 06-Dec-10 05:33 PM
2116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 06-Dec-10 05:38 PM by billD80

US

>I've had my D7000 for just a couple of days, but have seen
>this problem with my 2 different non-nikon lenses (Tamron
>17-50 f/2.8). In each case, the remedy is just a firm twist
>of the lens to mount it a bit more snugly on the camera.

I had this EXACT issue with Sigma lenses and my D200, with the exact same solution. I was told that camera/lens makers ship their products with a very light substance on the contacts to keep them from corroding.

I cleaned my lenses/camera contacts, and the issue NEVER returned. I think the twisting solution ensures better contact, but in my case, the cleaning fixed the issue permanently.

I hope this is all it is...

docimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2004Mon 06-Dec-10 07:44 PM
#5. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

Eau Claire, US

I cleaned the contacts with isopropyl alcohol (that seemed like a logical potential solution to the problem) but the problem persists. I've attached a screen shot of some of the EXIF data from a photo taken when this is happening. As you can see it indicates the auto-focus type as M.

I changed to my Nikkor AF 35-70mm 2.8 D lens - and as yet I have not been able to reproduce the problem this afternoon. But, even if changing the lens narrows it down to the particular body/lens combination it still doesn't solve my problem. I'll continue to experiment with the 35-70 and see if it happens again.

Steve

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 06-Dec-10 09:47 PM
#6. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>I cleaned the contacts with isopropyl alcohol (that seemed
>like a logical potential solution to the problem) but the
>problem persists.

I would call Nikon immediately. I've found their phone tech support excellent. They need to hear this... And please get back with their response.

Sorry the cleaning didn't work.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 07-Dec-10 12:46 AM
#7. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>I cleaned the contacts with isopropyl alcohol (that seemed
>like a logical potential solution to the problem) but the
>problem persists.

By accident, found this... Some of the posts soud very similar.

http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00Xnb0

aspan Registered since 27th Nov 2010Tue 07-Dec-10 01:53 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

CA

My first post so forgive any ignorance.
I have a D7000 and noticed the autofocus switch can toggle between manual and auto i.e. sitting between the 2 and the camera will not focus.Was very frustrating for the twenty minutes it took me to figure it out. By and by a great camera after my D80. New glass really sparkles.
Cheers

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 07-Dec-10 08:40 AM
28306 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 8

Paignton, GB

Welcome to Nikonians!

>I have a D7000 and noticed the autofocus switch can toggle
>between manual and auto i.e. sitting between the 2 and the
>camera will not focus.

Yes, that has been reported quite a few times with other cameras like the D300 and D700. It pays to check the switch

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 07-Dec-10 09:11 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 9

St Petersburg, RU

That has happened to me when shooting in clubs where the camera(D90) gets knocked around a bit and its dark. The AF FP display on the top shifts to a single dot, and the AF mode goes blank. It took going out to the lobby to see with enough light to figure out the first time. The AF mode switch is pretty sure in its detent but it is in a place that certain holding hand positions seems to flip the switch to a vague center position.
There is no indication in the VF so the only place to see an indicator is the rear info display which shows "MF".
After the first time, when it happens, it is quick to check the lever switch position with my thumb without taking my eye from the VF. I suppose it is entirely my fault since it only happens when using short lenses like the 18-105 or 85 1.4, and never on the long lenses that require a different hand position. I've never noticed it happening with in vertical shooting with the grip, no doubt because my support hand in further away from the switch.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 07-Dec-10 12:22 PM
#11. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 10

US

>That has happened to me when shooting in clubs where the
>camera(D90) gets knocked around a bit and its dark. The AF FP
>display on the top shifts to a single dot, and the AF mode
>goes blank. It took going out to the lobby to see with enough
>light to figure out the first time. The AF mode switch is
>pretty sure in its detent but it is in a place that certain
>holding hand positions seems to flip the switch to a vague
>center position.

The D7000 has a switch within the toggle AF/MF switch. You press and hold that while turning a dial to vary the amount of AF points...

Perhaps the OP is pushing this by accident and it's causing the issue... My impression is he'd be aware of that, but maybe it's just that simple, or similar. I hope.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 07-Dec-10 07:11 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 11

St Petersburg, RU

I just tried sliding the AF/MF lever over to see where the AF indicator on the top display goes blank. It occurs at slightly less than half way between AF and the MF position, and there is no feeling of a detent in that center area, so that is probably why I never noticed hitting the level when it happened on my D90.
The D7000 has the same sort of level but with a button in the middle of it. Stan
St Petersburg Russia

docimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2004Tue 07-Dec-10 07:39 PM
#13. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 11

Eau Claire, US

>Perhaps the OP is pushing this by accident and it's causing
>the issue... My impression is he'd be aware of that, but
>maybe it's just that simple, or similar. I hope.

I wish it was that simple - but I am aware of the new functionality of that switch, and I have not been accidentally pressing it. And, I did try purposely pressing it - and have not been able to reproduce the problem. I certainly have not been rotating the lever to Manual Focus.

I submitted a support ticket on Nikon USA yesterday, along with the images I've posted in this thread. I'm hoping they will respond and have some insight into the problem.

Steve

Ray Dockrey Registered since 02nd Sep 2007Tue 07-Dec-10 11:18 PM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 13

Mustang, US

I don't know that the isopropyl alcohol is strong enough. Especially if there is oxidation built up on the contacts on either the camera or the lens.I had the exact same issue with my D300 when I bought my new Tamron 17-50 VC lens. The reason I knew it was happening is that I was in single point mode so it wouldn't take the picture cause it couldn't achieve focus. I took it back to my dealer who swapped the lens for another new one and the same thing happened. He wiped the contacts down and the issue went away for a few days and then came back. So I went and bought some De-Oxit at Radio Shack and cleaned them really good. I hadn't had an issue since.

poc Registered since 08th Jan 2008Wed 08-Dec-10 12:14 PM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 14

Glenview, US

Hello Steve,
Just received my D7k yesterday so not a whole lot of experience with it.
I've had the same issue when working with my nikon 35 1.8 which is fine with D90 and D300s.
Will keep playing and checking back on your post.

POC

http://cabreraphoto.smugmug.com

docimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2004Thu 09-Dec-10 09:21 PM
#16. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 15

Eau Claire, US

Well, Nikon never responded to a ticket request on their web site, so I called. I'm afraid they weren't particularly helpful. Said they'd never heard of this issue, and their only suggestion was to reset the camera - which we did - but the problem persists.

I still can not get it to happen with my 35-70 lens, just the 18-135 - and with which it happens about once in every ten shots. I have a few other lenses I can try to see if I can narrow it down to that one lens (I hope).

I asked him about cleaning the contacts, and he recommended a dry brush only with no solvent...

Steve

dscoleman Registered since 12th Dec 2010Sun 12-Dec-10 03:10 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 16

US

Day one with my D7000 and I'm seeing this issue with the 18-105mm kit lens. I'm hoping it's just a problem with this lens as I don't plan on using it very much. No issue so far with 10-24mm but again, it's my first day with the camera.

docimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2004Sun 12-Dec-10 04:18 AM
#18. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 17

Eau Claire, US

I did finally get a written response to my support ticket:

Thank you for contacting us, sorry for the problems you have had with your Nikon equipment.

Can you please confirm if this happens with all the lenses?

The images that you have sent us look as if the camera entered in standby mode, which will explain why you are able to see the display if the shutter is pressed half way. On another note, it also seems that there may be a communication error between the lens and the camera, in order to correct this please try the following.

- Remove all accessories from the camera.
- Use a fully charged battery on the camera.
- Make sure that the lens has the Focus switch set to A/M or A and not on M
- Verify if the camera body focus switch is set to AF and not to M
- Detach and reattach the lens to the camera body
- Your Nikon camera offers resets such as the two-button reset or a custom settings reset please follow those instructions provided in the product manual.

We also recommend using an approved memory card with your camera, please use the link below in order to view the approved memory cards for your camera:

Approved Memory Cards - D7000
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17061

Hope you find this information helpful.

Regards,

Jean C.

I didn't find it particularly helpful.

So far, I'm only seeing this with AF-S. I've got the camera on AF-A to see if it will happen, but so far it hasn't.

Also, I'm seeing this only with the 18-135 lens, and an older Nikon telephoto zoom, but not with my Nikkor 50 prime, or the AF Zoom-NIKKOR 35-70mm f/2.8D, or the AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED, or my Vivitar 50 mm macro.

So, I think it is a lens + camera issue, rather than a camera specific issue.

Steve

docimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2004Sun 12-Dec-10 02:46 PM
#19. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 18

Eau Claire, US

Well, when taking photos of the snow today, on AF-S the autofocus shut off several times with the 18-135. So, it's not only AF-S.

docimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2004Sun 19-Dec-10 08:20 PM
#20. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 19

Eau Claire, US

Sorry, a typo in my last post. I'm finding that the autofocus is shutting off in both AF-A and Af-S modes, and in both Shutter Priority and Auto modes. With continued experimentation, I'm convinced it is lens specific - but it is happening with multiple lenses: the 18-135 Nikon, my 70-210 f4 AF Nikon, and I just tried a brand new Tamron 18-200 F3.5/6.3 XR DiII - and the autofocus shut off immediately with the first shot.

So, I'm at a loss as to whether I should pursue this as a problem with the D7000 body (since these lenses all worked fine with the D80), or replace the Nikon 18-135 lens with a Nikon 18-200 VRII and blame it on the lenses?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve

jckingca Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Dec 2010Sun 19-Dec-10 09:04 PM
135 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 20
Sun 19-Dec-10 09:07 PM by jckingca

CA

Hi Steve
I am wondering if your issue is temperature related. I have only had mine for a week and on two occasions while shooting outside, the shutter refused to fire. It returned to normal after I brought the camera inside. Nikon manual says operating temperature is above 0 degrees Celcius (32F) and the outside temperature both times this happened was right at zero.

-John

docimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2004Sun 19-Dec-10 09:31 PM
#22. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 21

Eau Claire, US

Actually, this problem is happening in the house - the snow photo was taken through the window.

Steve

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 19-Dec-10 11:05 PM
11044 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 22

Lowden, US

Here is an additional quick test to possibly narrow down the possible problem.

Make sure that the lens is firmly locked into place.

Turn on the camera, half press the shutter and make sure that you are seeing all of the AF info in the top LCD.

Now hold the lens in one hand and the camera in the other and gently twist the lens back and forth wile watching the display.

Is the AF info going on and off as you wiggle the lens?

Is there significant play between the camera and lens?
If so, is it more play then you have with a lens that is not effected by this issue?

A few years back we had a pretty bad issue with the D80 where certain lenses made poor contact with the camera body. This of course causes a communication error. On the D80 the camera would become non-responsive and often created an ERR message on the display.

A stop gap fix that I used was a small piece of tape on the lens mount that reduced the amount of play between the camera and lens. Eventually Nikon issued a firmware update that somehow solved the problem.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Underwater | Online Assignments| Best of 2014

docimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2004Sun 19-Dec-10 11:40 PM
#24. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 23

Eau Claire, US

Good suggestion - but, no. I'm not appreciating any play between the camera and lens, and it doesn't make the AF display change.

Blue_green_water Registered since 14th Nov 2010Mon 20-Dec-10 01:30 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 24

NL

I have the same problem. You are not alone.
Solution ? No idea!

Perhaps I sell my d7000 because I missed some critical shots.

shepx213 Registered since 08th Dec 2010Mon 20-Dec-10 02:35 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 23

US

>A few years back we had a pretty bad issue with the D80 where
>certain lenses made poor contact with the camera body. This of
>course causes a communication error. On the D80 the camera
>would become non-responsive and often created an ERR message
>on the display.
>
>A stop gap fix that I used was a small piece of tape on the
>lens mount that reduced the amount of play between the camera
>and lens. Eventually Nikon issued a firmware update that
>somehow solved the problem.

Greetings all. I have been a long time lurker on these forums, and finally decided to come out of hiding this week. I have been gone most of the last few days, but have been meaning to post about this.

I have the same problem as the op. In fact, I sent my first D7k back for replacement, and my new one does the same thing too. It does it with all of my lenses; 18-105, 35 1.8, 50 1.8, 55-200, 85 3.5, and tokina 11-16. Sometimes when I first pull it out of the bag it will not AF. I will have to twist on the lens back and forth to get it to engage.

I considered sending this one back too, but I love the camera enough to deal with it until Nikon figures out what the problem is. I would bet it's something similar to the D80 problem you mentioned.

docimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2004Mon 20-Dec-10 03:56 AM
#27. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 26

Eau Claire, US

I added some more info to my tech request on the Nikon web site. I think if they get numerous notifications of this problem they will spend more time looking into it, than if it's just me. So, if you're having this issue, I'd suggest letting them know.

Hopefully, it is something that can be fixed in a firmware update.

bdirect Registered since 03rd Jun 2006Mon 20-Dec-10 03:26 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 27

CA

Good morning _ Just to confirm that you are not alone in this issue, my D7K is also sporadically Auto Focusing. I took my Sigma 120-400 in for warranty repair, due to this issue, still have not got that lens back. Since doing so, I have had the exact symptoms with other lenses. Without evening trying to take a picture, the camera AF's fine. Turn it off and leave it for a while and it goes back to manual focus-(single dot on screen). Turn off camera set it down, come back 15 minutes later, Auto Focus is fine. Yes, I made sure that the lens was properly seated. I have tried all the above mentioned remedies but the sporadic nature persists. I called my dealer, Henrys Toronto, and they will be getting me a replacement...they also suggested that Nikon is about to release a firmware update...this may be wishful customer service on their part?
Hopefully, there will be a firmware update that will resolve this?

thanks

Brian

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Thu 04-Jul-13 04:34 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#58. "RE: Autofocus issues"
In response to Reply # 16

GB

I have some issues too, it is really annoying when my camera locked up mysteriously, not allowing me to release the shutter...

intrepid24 Registered since 28th Oct 2006Tue 21-Dec-10 02:13 AM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: CONTACT(s)!"
In response to Reply # 0

Long Island, US

This problem has been reported recurrently with virtually ALL recent new Nikon body introductions. Apparently, Nikon applies an anti-oxidant to the body contacts (in the 'roof' of the bayonet mount,) which apparently is not removed before shipment to dealers.

To narrow down if you have a 'legitimate' issue, the contacts on both the body and the lens need to be cleaned and the indexing checked.

Use a DRY microfiber cloth to swab both body and lens contacts. Use a clean section of cloth on each contact swipe. Make certain that the spring-tensioned lens contacts are not stuck closed or 'unsprung.'

If still troublesome, twist the lens clockwise and counter-clockwise in the body mount. The body will verify in the info panel that contact has been achieved.

If the problem persists, an application of DeOxit on the contacts might eliminate the problem; else swap with your dealer for a replacement if you're still in the return window, or open a repair ticket with Nikon.

Intrepid24
Long Island, NY

docimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2004Tue 21-Dec-10 12:51 PM
#31. "RE: CONTACT(s)!"
In response to Reply # 29
Tue 21-Dec-10 01:28 PM by briantilley

Eau Claire, US

Thank you! I think this solved the problem. I cleaned the contacts with just a microfiber cloth as you suggested. I just shot 50 shots with the 18-135 and 50 shots with the Tamron 18-200 - and the problem didn't manifest itself at all. Up until now, it would have happened at least 5-10 times in 100 shots.

The idea of cleaning the contacts in a brand new camera occurred to me - but seemed unnecessary. I guess I was wrong. If this is a known issue, Nikon sure didn't seem to know about it. I'm still waiting to hear back on my response to their support ticket.

I'll follow up after I've taken more shots. But, I hope this was the solution.

Thanks again to everybody.

Steve

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 21-Dec-10 04:09 PM
#37. "RE: CONTACT(s)!"
In response to Reply # 31

US

>Thank you! I think this solved the problem. I cleaned the
>contacts with just a microfiber cloth as you suggested. I just
>shot 50 shots with the 18-135 and 50 shots with the Tamron
>18-200 - and the problem didn't manifest itself at all. Up
>until now, it would have happened at least 5-10 times in 100
>shots.
>
>The idea of cleaning the contacts in a brand new camera
>occurred to me - but seemed unnecessary. I guess I was wrong.
>If this is a known issue, Nikon sure didn't seem to know about
>it. I'm still waiting to hear back on my response to their
>support ticket.
>

Whether Nikon is aware or not, it does seem to happen.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=2866#2911

kytra Registered since 27th Mar 2010Tue 21-Dec-10 04:57 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: CONTACT(s)!"
In response to Reply # 37

RO

Happened to my also a few times. I remember i restarted the camera ( windows user reflex and tried to make sure the lens is fully screwed on. I will pay more attentin next time since it appears as a possible issue for other users too. I believe it is a contact problem.

Robman3 Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Apr 2010Tue 21-Dec-10 07:21 AM
1721 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

West of Santa Monica, US

Steve,

I unearthed my 18-200 and was messing around and for some reason, the f stop was only going to 4.5 and not to 3.5.

If I rebooted, the 3.5 would appear then disappear after a shot back to 4.5.

I had not used the lens for some time, having the 24-70 set on the D-90 and subsequently the D7K.

I took my lens pen and swirled around the contacts, and have Eclipse just in case.

The pen seems to have solved the issue and everything works fine now.

Contacts, they can get micro dusty and one assumes electrolysis oxidation which can form a patina on plated surfaces.

Cheers,

Rob

docimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2004Tue 21-Dec-10 02:03 PM
#32. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 30

Eau Claire, US

So...I began searching the net using "nikon body contact problems autofocus", and came up with this discussion:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=37087120

the poster there had found that lightly pressing the lens release button will disable autofocus... and I found that it does on my camera, 100% of the time. It may be that with certain lenses, depending on how they zoom and how I hold them, I may be touching this button with my left thumb - which doesn't require much pressure to disable the autofocus.

I found with my 18-135 that AF immediately comes back if I let go most of the time. If it does not, I have to rotate the lens a bit, and then it does.

So, now I'm not sure if it is the contacts or the Lens Release button. If it's the lens release button that is a problem - it's way too sensitive - but manageable.

I'm curious if this is just my camera, or all of them?

Steve

output555 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2008Tue 21-Dec-10 02:22 PM
317 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 32

US

I was testing out my D7000 yesterday with the Nikkor 35mm F/1.8 AF-D DX attached. I wasn't making any adjustments to the lens or focus settings when the camera suddenly wouldn't focus, just as the OP's D7000 did. I tried repeatedly to get it to work but it seemed frozen. Only by turning the camera off, then on again did the problem go away. I haven't played with the camera much since, but I wonder if the fix is cleaning the contacts. Will try this if the problems occurs again.

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Tue 21-Dec-10 02:45 PM
895 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 34
Tue 21-Dec-10 03:06 PM by JohnE Nikon

New HArtford, US

>I was testing out my D7000 yesterday with the Nikkor 35mm
>F/1.8 AF-D DX attached. I wasn't making any adjustments to the
>lens or focus settings when the camera suddenly wouldn't
>focus, just as the OP's D7000 did. I tried repeatedly to get
>it to work but it seemed frozen. Only by turning the camera
>off, then on again did the problem go away. I haven't played
>with the camera much since, but I wonder if the fix is
>cleaning the contacts. Will try this if the problems occurs
>again.

I just posted this problem I noticed with my 70-200 VRII last night. I am grateful for all of the above advice.
I was in focus priority mode and shutter released despite no focus, making me wonder if the camera thought I was in manual focus mode. The left and right green arrows were functional and I would imagined if I tried to manually focus I would have gotten a green light.

Does anyone know how to delete a post? My post is now completely superfluous.

I will also contact Nikon, so that they are aware.

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 21-Dec-10 02:59 PM
28306 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 35

Paignton, GB

>Does anyone know how to delete a post? My post is now
>completely superfluous.

Your wish is our command...

I have removed the other post.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Tue 21-Dec-10 05:47 PM
895 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 36

New HArtford, US

>>Does anyone know how to delete a post? My post is now
>>completely superfluous.
>
>Your wish is our command...
>
>I have removed the other post.

Brian. Thanks.

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

Blue_green_water Registered since 14th Nov 2010Wed 22-Dec-10 06:46 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#45. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 32

NL

>So...I began searching the net using "nikon body contact
>problems autofocus", and came up with this discussion:
>
>http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=37087120
>
>the poster there had found that lightly pressing the lens
>release button will disable autofocus... and I found that it
>does on my camera, 100% of the time. It may be that with
>certain lenses, depending on how they zoom and how I hold
>them, I may be touching this button with my left thumb - which
>doesn't require much pressure to disable the autofocus.
>

This problem is alleviated with the latest firmware.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 22-Dec-10 06:53 PM
#46. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 45

Paignton, GB

>This problem is alleviated with the latest firmware.

Where did you hear that?

The Nikon website does not mention it, though it's not unheard of for a change to be included "on the QT" in a firmware upgrade.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Blue_green_water Registered since 14th Nov 2010Wed 22-Dec-10 07:01 PM
#47. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 46

NL

>>This problem is alleviated with the latest firmware.
>
>Where did you hear that?
>
>The Nikon website does not mention it, though it's not unheard
>of for a change to be included "on the QT" in a
>firmware upgrade.
>

Humm,

I just noticed it. Then I though hey, maybe its because I just bought a new objective, a 70-200/2.8Vr2, so I also tested it with one of my older objectives, a 70-300. With both objectives, this annoying error is gone. Great!

bdirect Registered since 03rd Jun 2006Tue 21-Dec-10 02:18 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 30

CA

Hi - I agree with Intrpid24's comment and will look into the anti oxidant application, because a dry cloth has yet to solved the issue (for me). What I tested for this morning was...could I repeat the problem. When I mounted my Sigma 18-250 the Auto focus was not engaged - but as Intrepid24 suggests, you gently torque the lens back and your Auto Focus engages. I was able to do this a number of consecutive times with two different lenses. So, it truly is a contact issue. I do have a second body on order and will try this when it arrives. It does seem odd that a new camera would have such an issue? I never ran into this with the D70,D80 or D90.

Thanks for sharing everyone.

Brian

jdbimages Registered since 17th Aug 2008Tue 21-Dec-10 06:37 PM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 33

Port Chester, US

I too have had problems with my 7000. If I take the same lens and put it on my D300 -no problem. It seems specific to the D7000. The last time jiggling the lens worked, but I never have had this issue with previous Nikons.

jdb

jdbimages Registered since 17th Aug 2008Tue 21-Dec-10 11:26 PM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 40

Port Chester, US

Isn't it time for Nikon to respond? Surely they read these concerns.

jdb

Blue_green_water Registered since 14th Nov 2010Wed 22-Dec-10 10:54 AM
#42. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 41

NL

Respond, Yeah that would be nice. A recall and then fix it. Would be great - a fix I mean. But I'm not sure. Did they ever admit that there was an error? It's a Japanese - techno company you know. That will mean face loosing for some of them.
So, what was the solution for the older dslr that had the same issue?

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 22-Dec-10 11:55 AM
#43. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 42

St Petersburg, RU

The D90 was returned in large numbers at first also because of lens to camera communications issues. By slightly twisting the lens the contacts would again conduct. I had seen that many time with new products shipped from overseas or that sat in warehouses a long time. It happened to my D90 with the 18-105 lens when the camera was first released.

Knowing how oxidation can build up on contacts that are normally self cleaning when sitting a long time exposed to atmosphere oxygen, I applied a little De-Oxit D-5 to both the lens contacts and body contacts. Oxide is a chemical process, not dirt so a dry wipe will do not to it. Using common solvents will also just make it worse after briefly making it better. After the contacts were de-oxidized the problem that occurred often in the first week, never came back, after close to 50,000 shots.

I use a de-oxidizer almost daily in various repair and preventative maintenance tasks in my home electronics lab. This is a problem that happens naturally and is not dirt, it is worse with contacts that are seldom used.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 22-Dec-10 01:13 PM
#44. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 42

Paignton, GB

>Did they ever admit that there was an error?

Nikon are generally pretty good at responding to actual, real problems - witness the firmware update issued today for the "video bright spots" problem.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

bdirect Registered since 03rd Jun 2006Wed 22-Dec-10 07:58 PM
#48. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 44

CA

Hi - I posted #28 and #33 on this topic. Today I received my replacement D7K body and so far after trying a couple of lenses the issue is gone...I will keep my fingers crossed and at least I know what the issue is if the problem should reoccur.

Cheers

Brian

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 22-Dec-10 08:17 PM
#49. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 48

US

>Hi - I posted #28 and #33 on this topic. Today I received my
>replacement D7K body and so far after trying a couple of
>lenses the issue is gone...

Curious... what's the firmware on your new body?

bdirect Registered since 03rd Jun 2006Wed 22-Dec-10 08:21 PM
#50. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 49

CA

Hi _ I have to update the video firmware released today..but what is currently listed in both A&B is 1.00 and L 1.002.

Cheers

Brian

docimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2004Sun 02-Jan-11 02:04 PM
#51. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 50

Eau Claire, US

OK. I think I've figured out what is causing this. I've taken a lot of photos over the holidays, and have found that whenever the autofocus shuts off I am touching the lens release button. On this camera (opposed to my D70, D70s, and D80 the SLIGHTEST touch of the lens release button turns off the autofocus. The reason it happens with some lenses and not others is that because of their size and shape I hold them differently.

If I hold the lens with my left hand, with my fingers on top of the lens and my thumb underneath, my index finger knuckle may brush the lens release button and shut off the autofocus until I move my hand. Once I stop touching the button the autofocus functionality returns.

What I need to know now is whether this is a problem with my particular D7000 body, or is a problem with all the D7000 bodies. If it is just mine, then I need to send it in for repair or replacement. If it is all of them, we need a firmware upgrade or something to fix this.

I just had a second response from Nikon tech support suggesting that it was the contacts and that they needed cleaning, but I think I have conclusively figured out what is happening.

Do other Nikonians find that lightly touching that button shuts off Autofocus?

Steve

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 02-Jan-11 02:36 PM
#52. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 51

Paignton, GB

Thanks for the update. It's good to hear that you're figured out what the problem is - and that it's not a camera fault.

You might like to check out this article from our resources section on hand-holding technique, which indicates that having your the fingers of your left hand under the lens rather than over is better practice. Doing so might easily reduce the possibility of accidentally touching the lens release button

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

billmims Registered since 23rd Feb 2013Sat 23-Feb-13 10:51 PM
#53. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 52

US

Well, I am new to this post, and see that no one has talked about this problem lately. I have just begun experiencing it. In my case, the camera will simply refuse to auto-focus, and then a few seconds later will work fine. The problem seems to be slowly getting worse. I don't think my fingers are touching the release button, since I always hold the camera with my left hand under the lens.
Any more news about this? Did Nikon ever respond?

Thanks,

bill

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 24-Feb-13 08:10 AM
#54. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 53

Paignton, GB

Welcome to Nikonians, Bill!

There never proved to be a general problem with intermittent AF on the D7000. In practice, any problems tended to be caused as described above, or by dirty electrical contacts between lens and camera.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 24-Feb-13 10:12 AM
#55. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 54

US

>Welcome to Nikonians, Bill!
>
>There never proved to be a general problem with intermittent
>AF on the D7000. In practice, any problems tended to be
>caused as described above, or by dirty electrical contacts
>between lens and camera.

I've had the no-AF happen a few times since owning the D7000 since it came out. The pattern seems to be: just attached the lens, doesn't AF, shut off camera, give the lens a bit of a twist near the mount, AF returns...

I seem to recall this with my D200...

My belief is it's a lens contacts issue, and the twisting is reseating them properly (or forcing better contact where oxidation has set in).

By the way, what would you use to apply Deoxit 5 to the camera contacts (leaving no lint)?

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 24-Feb-13 10:23 AM
#56. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 55

Paignton, GB

>By the way, what would you use to apply Deoxit 5 to the camera
>contacts (leaving no lint)?

I would generally use a microfibre cloth - something like the type used to clean lenses (but don't use it to clean lenses afterwards, of course...!)

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Sun 24-Feb-13 03:58 PM
3211 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#57. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 56

Camberley, GB

I see this thread started life in 2010 but I've only just seen it. Although only having only had D7000 since Christmas 2012 I can say that I have had this problem on a couple of occasions.
It has seemed to have corrected itself within a few minutes and I haven't bothered to do an analysis but now, having read this thread and the remedial suggestions I will pay more attention.
Because the problem was brief and I was able to continue shooting after only a short glitch I thought the problem was probably me having a funny five minutes... now I know it probably wasn't.

Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Mycenius Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Feb 2006Sat 06-Jul-13 01:11 AM
335 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#59. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 51
Sat 06-Jul-13 01:12 AM by Mycenius

Auckland, NZ

>What I need to know now is whether this is a problem with my
>particular D7000 body, or is a problem with all the D7000
>bodies. If it is just mine, then I need to send it in for
>repair or replacement. If it is all of them, we need a
>firmware upgrade or something to fix this.

Steve - how did you end up eventually with this? Bit late picking up this thread, but FWIW I'd have thought the above is a fault regardless. Brian is right about hand holding but regardless the lens release should not be so sensitive that a slight brush causes it to disengage the contacts or whatever... However if you are holding in such a way as to be actively pressing against the release button then that probably is just OE and requires a technique change... If it was me, and the former, I'd have been taking the body back immediately no matter what...

Just my 2˘

John
Kiwi Nikonian
D7100 | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G | Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D | Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G Micro | SB-800 | Gitzo GT3542LS Tripod

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Sat 13-Jul-13 04:45 AM
963 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#60. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 59
Sat 13-Jul-13 04:47 AM by Vlad_IT

New Tampa, US

Guys, this thread is three year old, BUT

Please do not underestimate effect of resetting camera to factory defaults by removing battery from the camera for one week, to drain down the clock backup battery. The bottom line - remove the battery from your camera for at least one week. re-run firmware update, even if this is the same version as you have and it will fix 50% of WEARD problems. with this advice I Helped at least 4 times people on this forum, and many more times in my life.

Best regards,
Vlad

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Fri 02-Aug-13 06:07 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#61. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 60

GB

Reseting my D7000 in such a way is really drastic to me. I feel reluctant to do because I had spent days in setting up 9 picture controls, more than a dozen of quick access under my custom control list, direction and functions of command and sub-command dial, this goes on a bit...

Mycenius Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Feb 2006Fri 02-Aug-13 09:45 PM
335 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#62. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 61

Auckland, NZ

A standard reset doesn't wipe out any custom settings IIRC - i.e. your custom menu stuff & such like remains intact...

John
Kiwi Nikonian
D7100 | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G | Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G | Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D | Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G Micro

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Sat 03-Aug-13 12:38 PM
#63. "RE: Autofocus temporarily shutting off on D7000"
In response to Reply # 59

GB

Dear D7k owners,
Please can anyone share experience on reseting their camera by removing battery to drain built-in clock battery? Did they gain back normal behaviour on focusing and shutter release? Did they lose their custom menu and controls (button & dials) settings? Thank you in advance.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2866 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.