Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28620
View in linear mode

Subject: "I am new and have a basic question - ISO and flash" Previous topic | Next topic
lautry Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2011Tue 02-Jul-13 09:36 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"I am new and have a basic question - ISO and flash"

Panama City Beach, US

A simple question I am sure. I have a D7000. When I take a picture I try to consider aperture and use ISO adjustment to achieve a shutter speed I feel comfortable with to maximize focus and reduce shake. I try to choose the lowest ISO possible ( a minimum 1 and 1/2 times lens length). When I took some flash shots recently I noticed the ISO had been previously set to 800. Since my shutter speed seems to default to 1/60 when using my SB700, why shouldn't I tell myself to just go ahead and set the ISO to 100 if I am using flash? Does it really matter? I do not use automatic ISO and I shoot raw.
Thank you
Larry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: I am new and have a basic question - ISO and flash
DaddySS Gold Member
02nd Jul 2013
lautry Silver Member
03rd Jul 2013
Al G
03rd Jul 2013
MEMcD Moderator
03rd Jul 2013
luckyphoto Silver Member
03rd Jul 2013
aolander Silver Member
03rd Jul 2013
km6xz Moderator
03rd Jul 2013
mdallie Silver Member
04th Jul 2013
lautry Silver Member
04th Jul 2013

DaddySS Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2006Tue 02-Jul-13 09:56 PM
799 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: I am new and have a basic question - ISO and flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Woodcliff Lake, US

There's a good article on the home page on flash - you should check it out. In any case, It depends on what you are shooting but you essentially want to expose for the environment (ambient) and add the flash assuming you are using TTL. They are two separate metering systems.

Richard

lautry Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2011Wed 03-Jul-13 12:28 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: I am new and have a basic question - ISO and flash"
In response to Reply # 1

Panama City Beach, US

Thanks for your reply. I did read the articles but somehow I missed the answer to my question. Let me ask my question in a different way. Mt camera is in A mode. My F stop is 8. My subject needs backlight so my SB 700 is on, TTL-BL. My shutter speed is now 1/60 because the flash is on. 1/60 was an automatic camera selection. What ISO would I select and why?

Al G Registered since 17th Nov 2012Wed 03-Jul-13 12:45 PM
116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: I am new and have a basic question - ISO and flash"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 03-Jul-13 12:45 PM by Al G

US

The flash will try to provide the proper exposure for the central area assuming your manually setting (stopped down too much) is not exceeding the range of your flash. The camera will tell you this in the viewfinder.

You can use the ISO to control the background exposure.

For example, using a low ISO in a dark area the subject may be properly exposed but everything else is dark. By increasing the ISO (like to 800), the other areas of the frame will be better illuminated (see more background details).

Al

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 03-Jul-13 01:00 PM
25662 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: I am new and have a basic question - ISO and flash"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Larry,

If the flash is going to be the primary light source, use TTL mode not TTL BL mode. When using flash, like when shooting ambient, I try to use the lowest ISO possible for the given conditions.

TTL BL is used when you are using the flash for fill light.

The things to consider are:
1. Flash to subject distance.
2. How fast and hard you plan on shooting.
3. How much ambient light do you want to contribute to the exposure.

The longer the flash to subject distance the higher the ISO you might need.
If you are shooting 1 image every few minutes, set the ISO to the base setting. Even if the flash is firing at or near full power recycling time or overheating won't be a problem.
If you are shooting fast and hard, cranking up the ISO will allow the flash to fire at lower power. This provides a faster recycle time allowing you to capture more images per unit time before the flash gets hot.
Generally the higher the ISO, the more likely that ambient light will contribute to the exposure. Then you must consider how much the flash is contributing to determine if you should use a filter on the flash to match the color temperature of the ambient light. Or if you are shooting moving subjects to make sure that you are not loosing the ability of the short flash duration freezing the subjects movement.

Best Regards,
Marty

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Wed 03-Jul-13 01:02 PM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: I am new and have a basic question - ISO and flash"
In response to Reply # 2

Port Charlotte, US

Hi Larry. I would first say you should start following the Speedlight and Lighing forum. There you will get more specific guidance to your questions about flash photography.

An area that confuses many photographers when starting out in flash photograph is the concept of two types of light to control. First, there is ambient light and then there is the flash lighting on the subject. You also have to remember that there are two metering systems at work; the camera metering system and the internal flash meter. They can work somewhat independently.

The question you asked has more than one answer depending on other variables in the scene. One Nikonian (Russ Macdonald) has put together a series of articles on various uses of flash that are excellent and easy to understand.

Here's the link -

http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/2008/01/nikon-flash-two-separate-metering.html

I would spend some time reading those short articles. There's a wealth of knowledge in them.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Wed 03-Jul-13 01:01 PM
3191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: I am new and have a basic question - ISO and flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

You would choose the ISO depending on subject distance. If you needed to use f/8 for DOF, for example, but the subject was at a distance, the flash may not have enough power to expose the subject properly at ISO 100 so you would need to increase the ISO. Another reason would be to increase the background (ambient) exposure if f/8 at 1/60th and ISO 100 would give you a background that was darker than you wanted.

Just to add, you can select any aperture and shutter speed (within sync range) if you use manual exposure mode (the camera won't default to 1/60th). TTL will expose the subject correctly this way, too. You can also change the camera's default shutter speed in the menu.

Alan

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 03-Jul-13 04:06 PM
3299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: I am new and have a basic question - ISO and flash"
In response to Reply # 5

St Petersburg, RU

Alan made the best suggestion: manual exposure mode. It gives you total control and it actually makes your task easier.
Set your manual settings for the amount on ambient contribution and depth of field needed for your artistic intent and let the flash deal with subject illumination.

That will give a well exposed image so you can experiment from that base configuration to get desired differences such as making the background disappear in blackness if needed.
There are a great variety of options availability for artistic control that are not available in other modes.

As a base night interior configuration try:
M mode, 1/80, 320 ISO and 1/60 if you prefer brighter background and 1/200 darker background. Set flash to TTL. That will properly expose most interior people shots and you can experiment from there. Turn off auto ISO.
Have fun!
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Thu 04-Jul-13 01:02 AM
228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: I am new and have a basic question - ISO and flash"
In response to Reply # 7

Novi, US

I'd like to echo Alan and Stan's suggestion for manual and provide am embellishment to the explanation.

Without the correct settings, there is a good chance you'll have a well-lit (by flash) exposure of a person and the background will be pretty darn dark. Not a great picture.

By using manual to expose for the ambient light, your flash will fill in the foreground and your manual settings will give foreground the brighter exposure you need. The flash will also help "freeze" the action and somewhat compensate for a shutter speed that might be a little slower than you'd like.

Here is somewhere where I might differ from the others: I'd use a higher ISO. I can shoot at ISO 1600/3200 with my D7000 and have very clean pictures (assume I have not under-exposed the picture). I'd raise my ISO as necessary to get properly exposed ambient lighting for the background. As long as I stayed under ISO 3200, I don't think I'm going to be disappointed. In reality, I don't often go above 1600, but I can without feeling bad about it.

Mike

lautry Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2011Thu 04-Jul-13 07:33 PM
#9. "RE: I am new and have a basic question - ISO and flash"
In response to Reply # 8
Thu 04-Jul-13 07:35 PM by lautry

Panama City Beach, US

I would like to thank everyone for the replies. I believe they will help me. If I could take anything from this it would be that there is no hard fast answer to my question, but I do know this. I have been using the flash on TTL-BL as long as I have had my camera, and I have never used manual. From these replies and the articles on the Niconians web site, TTL-BL is not always appropriate and I should get over my "not good enough yet to use manual" feeling and move off the "A" setting on occasion. I did most always get a usable flash picture because I shoot raw and I am pretty good at PP. (Thank you shadow adjustments in Photoshop) If I had better exposures a higher ISO initially would have the noise held down when cropping and sharpening. On to better flash pictures! Thanks again.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28620 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.