Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28608
View in linear mode

Subject: "need buy a camera. D7100 or a D600 ???" Previous topic | Next topic
xis Registered since 01st Jul 2013Tue 02-Jul-13 04:30 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"need buy a camera. D7100 or a D600 ???"
Tue 02-Jul-13 04:31 PM by xis

Porto, PT

hi everyone!
as i stated in my "new members topic" post, i am getting back into photography after being away from it for some years. my last camera, which i don't have anymore, was a D80.
i'm going to buy a new camera but i can't make my mind whether i should buy a D7100 or a D600...
can someone help me deciding?
thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: need buy a camera. D7100 or a D600 ???
elec164 Silver Member
02nd Jul 2013
RRowlett Silver Member
02nd Jul 2013
DinoCardelli
02nd Jul 2013
MEMcD Moderator
02nd Jul 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
02nd Jul 2013
xis
03rd Jul 2013
Toby01 Silver Member
03rd Jul 2013
mudman2 Silver Member
03rd Jul 2013
NikonJohn2
04th Jul 2013
xis
07th Jul 2013
greyface Gold Member
07th Jul 2013
Toby01 Silver Member
07th Jul 2013
xis
08th Jul 2013
briantilley Moderator
08th Jul 2013
xis
08th Jul 2013
VictorSuarez
15th Aug 2013
RobertK Silver Member
15th Aug 2013
stash Gold Member
17th Aug 2013
tfeazel Silver Member
09th Jul 2013
xis
14th Aug 2013

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Tue 02-Jul-13 04:55 PM
1986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: need buy a camera. D7100 or a D600 ???"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Depends on what your shooting needs are. Telling us more about your subject interests and shooting needs would help narrow down the choice.

As good as the DX cameras have become, FX is still better at low light situations and subject isolation through narrow DOF.

DX provides a lighter more compact kit and generally puts more pixels on the subject for a given subject distance and focal length. And given today's PP techniques you can simulate to some extent the narrow DOF which leaves the biggest difference to low light, weight, size and cost.

So for me it would go to the amount of disposable income and shooting interests.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RRowlett Silver Member Charter MemberTue 02-Jul-13 07:49 PM
1087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: need buy a camera. D7100 or a D600 ???"
In response to Reply # 0

Hamilton, US

What, if any, lenses do you own from your D80 days? If you have a good collection of DX-appropriate lenses, are happy with them, and are looking for an affordable re-entry, then a DX body might be the ticket. Otherwise, your options are more open.

If I were starting completely over, I might go FX. But I appreciate some of the advantages of the DX bodies, especially for tele shooting.

Cheers.

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010Tue 02-Jul-13 07:56 PM
236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: need buy a camera. D7100 or a D600 ???"
In response to Reply # 0

Plantation, US

The D7100 and D600 have similiar controls...

As mentioned, do you still have any lenses? If so, which ones?

For the price difference, depending on your needs, you can get a very nice D7100 kit for the same price as a D600 body.

dc

Visit my professional gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 02-Jul-13 09:21 PM
25732 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: need buy a camera. D7100 or a D600 ???"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Francisco,

The answer depends on your budget and what subjects you shoot.
FX bodies have better high ISO performance, more Dynamic Range, and a narrower DOF than DX bodies.
FX lenses are also quite a bit more expensive than DX lenses.
If you shoot sports indoors or night games under the lights, the D600 would be the better choice. For just about anything else, both bodies are more than capable of performing extremely well. If you compare and image captured with a D600 to an image captured with a D7100 most of the time it would be extremely difficult to tell the difference between them.

Best Regards,
Marty

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Tue 02-Jul-13 10:20 PM
397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: need buy a camera. D7100 or a D600 ???"
In response to Reply # 4

jacksonville, US

I did what you are doing, going from a D80 to a new body i chose the 7100 because i have a decent DX zoom that i could not afford to replace straight away. if you have FX glass or can afford new fx glass, go for the 600. if money is a concern you cannot go wrong with a 7100.

in my case, i had to go from the older body, it just was limitng. this way, I have a body thay will last a few years and I can take time buying good FX glass

xis Registered since 01st Jul 2013Wed 03-Jul-13 05:22 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: need buy a camera. D7100 or a D600 ???"
In response to Reply # 0

Porto, PT

thank you all for your replies.

sorry not to have been very clear about my needs and so not making it easy for you. i'll try to do it now.

about my shooting needs and subject interests, well, i'll begin saying that i'm a bit of a minimalist. that said...

what i do usualy like to shoot:

- everything i see that catches my attention in pursuit of patterns, shapes, colors
- objects, still life
- some closeups, macro
- lots of city landscape
- some street scenes
- some landscapes
- no sports
- no wildlife

now, about lenses, i'm not very fond of zoom lenses so i sold two i had and at the moment i only have two prime lenses:

- AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G
- AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D

one more thing, i pretend to keep shooting raw (eventualy raw+jpg).

thanks again,

Francisco

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Wed 03-Jul-13 05:34 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: need buy a camera. D7100 or a D600 ???"
In response to Reply # 6

El Sobrante, US

Since you don't seem to shoot much in low light, either camera would work pretty well for you. I had the same dilemma and chose the D7100 because of its wider focus sensor spread and a couple of other features the D600 lacks. The D600 is pretty fabulous, though, and you may find that your 35mm DX lens works fine for you on that body. I put mine on a friend's D600 and found it quite usable, with only minor vignetting that could be fixed in post-processing. I don't think you can go wrong with either body.

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Wed 03-Jul-13 08:53 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: need buy a camera. D7100 or a D600 ???"
In response to Reply # 7

Jamison, US

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. After testing both I decided to go with the 7100 which I think is actually a better camera.

I tend not to buy DX lenses and with the FX's I have I think the 7100 takes a better picture than the 600. Of course thats a very subjective view

Now when the D400 arrives I might be swayed

NikonJohn2 Registered since 23rd Jun 2013Thu 04-Jul-13 05:12 PM
90 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: need buy a camera. D7100 or a D600 ???"
In response to Reply # 8

US

The big advantage with a full frame camera is it is better in low light at ISO 1600 and higher. If most of your pics are taken in day light, you will not see much if any difference in picture quality.

xis Registered since 01st Jul 2013Sun 07-Jul-13 08:56 AM
#10. "RE: need buy a camera. D7100 or a D600 ???"
In response to Reply # 0

Porto, PT

hi again,
now about lenses...
and in case i end up buying the D7100 now, is it a good move to buy FX lenses instead of DX lenses, with a future FX camera buy in mind?
thanks,
Francisco

greyface Gold Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2008Sun 07-Jul-13 06:57 PM
1522 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: need buy a camera. D7100 or a D600 ???"
In response to Reply # 10

New Bedford, US

>hi again,
>now about lenses...
>and in case i end up buying the D7100 now, is it a good move
>to buy FX lenses instead of DX lenses, with a future FX camera
>buy in mind?
>thanks,
>Francisco

If you see an FX camera in your future, I would say yes to buying FX lenses. A DX sensor will use the center of the FX lens since the FX lens covers more than DX sensor and you will get better corner to corner sharpness on the DX sensor. The FX lenses are more expensive and heavier than the DX lenses. I believe you will also have better access to faster lenses in choosing FX lenses. Also better IQ, just my opinion, with FX lenses. Specifically the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 70-200 VR II f/2.8, again just my opinion.

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Sun 07-Jul-13 07:57 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: need buy a camera. D7100 or a D600 ???"
In response to Reply # 10

El Sobrante, US

If you think you'll go FX in the future, I would suggest getting the D600 right now. It's a great camera and there's no reason to waste money on DX if you are not going to stick with it. On the other hand, if you think you might stick with DX, the 16-85 VR plus the 70-300 VR and a couple of light primes could satisfy your needs for many years.

xis Registered since 01st Jul 2013Mon 08-Jul-13 10:15 AM
#13. "RE: need buy a camera. D7100 or a D600 ???"
In response to Reply # 0

Porto, PT

is the 16-85 VR sharp enough to cope with the D7100 resolution? as far as i've seen it's the kind of standard zoom i would like for the everyday carrying around. and is it VRII or not?

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 08-Jul-13 10:19 AM
28755 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: need buy a camera. D7100 or a D600 ???"
In response to Reply # 13

Paignton, GB

I would direct you to our Nikkor Lenses Forum for that type of topic.

But briefly, I don't think you will find a better lens in that zoom range than the 16-85mm DX - and it does have the second generation of VR

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

xis Registered since 01st Jul 2013Mon 08-Jul-13 10:40 AM
#15. "RE: need buy a camera. D7100 or a D600 ???"
In response to Reply # 14

Porto, PT

thanks Brian for your help and sorry for my last post here, at the moment i didn't realise i was getting "off topic".

VictorSuarez Registered since 28th Apr 2013Thu 15-Aug-13 01:35 AM
157 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: need buy a camera. D7100 or a D600 ???"

Carmel, US

>
>is the 16-85 VR sharp enough to cope with the D7100
>resolution? as far as i've seen it's the kind of standard zoom
>i would like for the everyday carrying around. and is it VRII
>or not?
>
>

The 16-85 VR is tremendous with my 7100, simply beautiful rich colors.

RobertK Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2013Thu 15-Aug-13 01:22 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: need buy a camera. D7100 or a D600 ???"

Roselle, US

>
>is the 16-85 VR sharp enough to cope with the D7100
>resolution? as far as i've seen it's the kind of standard zoom
>i would like for the everyday carrying around. and is it VRII
>or not?
>
>
Glad you asked
Here's a picture I took last week while on vacation with my D7100 and 16-85mm VRII.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

stash Gold Member Charter MemberSat 17-Aug-13 01:12 PM
525 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: need buy a camera. D7100 or a D600 ???"
In response to Reply # 19
Sat 17-Aug-13 01:21 PM by stash

Auburn, US

Grand Hotel--Mackinaw Island---Went there for a Somewhere in Time Weekend a few years ago. I stood in the same place as you and got the same shot. Good photographers think alike.

Stash

tfeazel Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Sep 2004Tue 09-Jul-13 04:49 PM
428 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: need buy a camera. D7100 or a D600 ???"
In response to Reply # 0

Polk City, US

Simple solution:
I have a D600 and a D7000.
I'm probably not going to buy a D7100, since the comparative tests I've run show only a very tiny difference between it and a D7100. Ken Rockwell wrote this comparison: http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/comparisons/2013-04-09-dslrs/index.htm
The D7000 is so good that the additional pixels don't make much difference until the image is blown up to REALLY HUGE.
Buy a D 7001 or a D7000 and a D600. The UI's are nearly identical, so switching between them is very easy, and you get the benefits of both, the reach of DX with the Wide Angle capabilities of FX.
I'm rambling a bit here, but it comes down to what you like to shoot: Wide or Telephoto.
If you have to choose, that's about it.
I like having both.

Tom

xis Registered since 01st Jul 2013Wed 14-Aug-13 06:11 PM
#17. "RE: need buy a camera. D7100 or a D600 ???"
In response to Reply # 0

Porto, PT

hi all,
well... i ended up buying the D7100.
i was ansious to start shooting but in the meantime, as i stated here in Nikonians but in another fórum (monopods), i got hill after coming from holidays.
and what seemed to be a simple pneumonia turned up to be a much worse lung infection...
but, as far as the doctor tells me, it has treatment, i've just started it.
its "hard" but it's true... but i'll survive!!!
as far as i can i'll be using my new D7100 at home to get used to it, and, as soon as i can i'll go out with it as well.
i'll be posting soon,
Francisco

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28608 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.