Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28596
View in linear mode

Subject: "Cool pix" Previous topic | Next topic
Seragone Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2012Tue 02-Jul-13 11:45 AM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Cool pix"

Reston, US

I mean blue. I have my D7100 set to auto white balance. I notice that pix taken under deep but bright forest cover are quite blue. Also scenes of flowers along treed roadways are bluish. In all cases the sky above the tree canopy or through the treeline along the road is sunny. I can fix problem in pp (Capture NX2) by changing setting to daylight, shade. Is the camera working okay? Any change of settings recommended? Thanks all. Stephen

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Cool pix
elec164 Silver Member
02nd Jul 2013
agitater Gold Member
02nd Jul 2013
Seragone Silver Member
02nd Jul 2013
Seragone Silver Member
02nd Jul 2013
elec164 Silver Member
02nd Jul 2013
Seragone Silver Member
02nd Jul 2013

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Tue 02-Jul-13 01:34 PM
1896 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Cool pix"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 02-Jul-13 01:36 PM by elec164

US

A sample image would confirm my thoughts, but your camera is most likely working as it should.

The issue is most likely that AWB (auto-white balance) is designed to work with color temperatures between 3500 and 8000K. Deep shade you are describing can easily reach 9000 to 10000K causing the blue'ish look you're discribing.

If that's the case, then selecting color temperature yourself, or doing a custom white balance would be a better option. Or shooting NEF's and adjusting later in PP as your doing works too.

Pete

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Tue 02-Jul-13 01:44 PM
3862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Cool pix"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 02-Jul-13 01:45 PM by agitater

Toronto, CA

>I can fix problem in pp
>(Capture NX2) by changing setting to daylight, shade. Is the
>camera working okay? Any change of settings recommended?

You've probably, at least partially, answered your own question. If changing white balance to daylight/shade in NX2 fixes the blue colour cast, that's your answer. So whenever you're shooting in the kind of lighting that causes the blue colour cast, set your camera's white balance then the same as you'd set it NX2 to correct the problem.

The other solution is to do a preset manual custom white balance setting whenver you're going to be in difficult lighting (or at least lighting that's difficult for the camera's auto white balance system). Setting a custom white balance using either an 18% grey card or cloth, or even a white t-shirt, takes less than 30 seconds. The results are usually excellent.

Anyway, the simple instructions for doing an on-the-spot preset manual custom white balance is on page 95 of the D7100 manual.

The third method of attacking unwanted colour casts is to set white balance bracketing in the camera configuration settings. Page 137 of the D7100 manual.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

Seragone Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2012Tue 02-Jul-13 04:03 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Cool pix"
In response to Reply # 2

Reston, US

Thanks for help. I am surprised that the camera was unable to do the adjustment as it didn't seem that the conditions were extreme. I am having trouble attaching the image. I converted it from Raw to JPEG as a "good" image but still find an error message that indicates it is too large. Any guidance with this!? S

Seragone Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2012Tue 02-Jul-13 04:25 PM
#4. "RE: Cool pix"
In response to Reply # 3

Reston, US

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Tue 02-Jul-13 04:37 PM
1896 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Cool pix"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Ok, that appears to be a mixed lighting situation in which there is no one WB setting.

It appears you have streaks of direct sunlight mixed with dense shade. Adjusting for one in camera will throw off the other. Being you are complaining of blue'ish tint, it appears the camera chose the sunlight over the dense shade.

How you handle it depends on the look you want. Choosing an in camera WB for the shade will render that area neutral in hue, but would make the sunlight rays warmer in tone. Correcting for the sunlight rays will make the dense shade areas appear blue'ish.

If you want to correct for both, then selective correction in an PP editor is the only way I would know of.

At least that's my humble opinion. Hope it helps.

Pete

Seragone Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2012Tue 02-Jul-13 06:20 PM
#6. "RE: Cool pix"
In response to Reply # 5

Reston, US

Thanks again. I am happy that the issues is not one with the camera but the conditions. I got a ggod image after pp so all is good. S

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28596 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.