Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28553
View in linear mode

Subject: "Where do Random EC corrections Come from?" Previous topic | Next topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 30-Jun-13 09:30 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Where do Random EC corrections Come from?"

Los Angeles, US

From time to time, when looking at playback and viewing settings, a EC+ exposure correction factor pops up. I mostly shoot in A or S exposure modes. And I know that when an EC factor is set, it doesn't go away when the camera is switched off

But, darn it, I want control over exposure and don't like "magic" surprises.

What could cause this. I never shoot bracketing. And I am scared of Easy ISO. So, what is going on?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Where do Random EC corrections Come from?
elec164 Silver Member
01st Jul 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
01st Jul 2013
gfinlayson Silver Member
01st Jul 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
01st Jul 2013
gfinlayson Silver Member
02nd Jul 2013

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Mon 01-Jul-13 11:35 AM
1973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Where do Random EC corrections Come from?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 01-Jul-13 11:38 AM by elec164

US

When in A,S or P (or any of the Auto Semi-Auto modes) the meter display should not appear in most circumstances.

Perhaps what your seeing is a warning of incorrect exposure (or what the cameras metering system believes is an incorrect exposure). That happens most often when in A or P mode when you run out of aperture. Say the scene is dark and while in S mode you are already at maximum aperture, but with the ISO and shutter speed you've selected to get a correct exposure it would require a wider aperture. In that case the metering display would appear showing the amount by which the exposure is off.

At least I think that is what you are describing.

Pete

OOOPS, need more coffee for I believe I miss-interprete your post!! I now realize that it's play back not during shooting!!

Pete

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 01-Jul-13 02:47 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Where do Random EC corrections Come from?"
In response to Reply # 1

Los Angeles, US

I understand, but I am referring here to EXIF data that appears during Playback. The actual settings show an EC +/- that I didn't put there.

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Mon 01-Jul-13 09:58 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Where do Random EC corrections Come from?"
In response to Reply # 2

Maidenhead, GB

This might seem like a dumb response, but have you accidentally set exposure bracketing?

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 01-Jul-13 11:22 PM
#4. "RE: Where do Random EC corrections Come from?"
In response to Reply # 3

Los Angeles, US

As I stated in my original question. Bracketing scares me off, and so I've never used it.

The button that activates it is sort of prominent, and so it is easy to set it off accidentally. But there is that tell-tale icon that appears in the viewfinder.

Just kind of spooky. And I know that it was a common hazard when using a flash to unwittingly triggering flash EC.

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Tue 02-Jul-13 09:14 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Where do Random EC corrections Come from?"
In response to Reply # 4

Maidenhead, GB

Is Active D-Lighting on? It adjusts exposure according to the scene to preserve highlights, then selectively pushes shadow areas to achieve the right overall exposure. That might account for random unexpected EC values......

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28553 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.