Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28541
View in linear mode

Subject: "Sum of memory in slot-1 and slot-2" Previous topic | Next topic
Alfred70 Registered since 12th Dec 2012Sun 30-Jun-13 05:03 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Sum of memory in slot-1 and slot-2"

San Antonio, US

I have two 4-gig cards. My setup is slot-2 is overflow, pictures are NEFs, high quality. If I install any one of the cards into slot-1 or slot-2, the camera shows a capacity of 111 pictures (about 36mB per picture). If I install both cards, I still see a capacity of only 111 pictures (I would have expected about 222 pictures). I can take pictures and playback on any one card without problems. It appears that the camera reports status for slot-1 only.

This is just an observation, but if slot-2 is overflow to slot-1, I would have expected the sum of both cards. Can anyone confirm my operations?

Alfred

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 30-Jun-13 06:53 PM
28731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Sum of memory in slot-1 and slot-2"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

When your camera is set to "overflow" mode, the display shows you the (approximate) number of images that the CURRENT card has room for. What you're seeing is normal

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Mon 01-Jul-13 06:49 PM
386 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Sum of memory in slot-1 and slot-2"
In response to Reply # 1
Mon 01-Jul-13 06:51 PM by MarkM10431

jacksonville, US

yep confused me too. take a few frames, then pop out card 1 you will see the numer change wehn you turn the camera back on.

depending on how old those cards are, i suspect they are probably fairly slow. you should look at updating to at least s 16G class 10

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 30-Jun-13 07:34 PM
25663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Sum of memory in slot-1 and slot-2"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Alfred,

As Brian wrote above, only the space in the current card is dispayed.
Keep in mind that the 111 image capacity is a conservitive estimate.
As you get closer to filling the card, the display will become more accurate.

Best Regards,
Marty

Alfred70 Registered since 12th Dec 2012Mon 01-Jul-13 02:14 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Sum of memory in slot-1 and slot-2"
In response to Reply # 2

San Antonio, US

Thank you for the replies. It's nice to know my camera is not acting up and that it's actions are normal.

Alfred

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28541 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.