Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28512
View in linear mode

Subject: "Unexpected card behavior on D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sat 29-Jun-13 02:40 AM
919 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Unexpected card behavior on D7000"

US

I never noticed this before.

If you choose to use the RAW to card 1/JPEG to card 2 option, but shoot RAW only, the RAW is recorded to both cards--just as if you had chosen the backup option.

I would have expected the camera to write the RAW file to only card 1 and leave card 2 alone.

Why does it write to both? Not a big deal, but does that mean more time is used to write data to both cards than if writing to only card 1?

I never noticed this before because previously I almost always chose the "overflow" option and also almost always shot RAW plus Jpeg. As expected, the camera wrote both formats to card 1. (I almost never fill up card 1 before being able to download and clear the card).

For those times when I did choose RAW to card 1/JPEG to card 2, the behavior was as expected--each card received the specified format.

I recently made a decision to shoot RAW only unless I had a specific reason to also shoot JPEG. And then I noticed I was getting RAW recorded to both cards even though I had still left the card option to 1/RAW, 2/JPEG.

Strange.

Kent

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

sduck409 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Feb 2013Sat 29-Jun-13 03:57 AM
79 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Unexpected card behavior on D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Nashville, US

Yes, it does this. I don't know why. Just one of those little oversights in the firmware programming I guess. It's easy enough to delete the dupe copies after the fact.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 29-Jun-13 01:01 PM
6166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Unexpected card behavior on D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

Perhaps the reasoning is that the designers thought of RAW+JPEG as a means of saving a backup JPEG along with the RAW. (That's the way the manual describes it.) If you then elect not to shoot the JPEG, does that mean you don't want a backup at all or that you want the backup to be RAW? There is no obvious answer to that in my mind.

As you say, it's no big deal since you can get either behavior (RAW backup to second card or no backup at all) with the right combination of "Role played by card in slot 2" and "Image quality" settings.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sat 29-Jun-13 01:48 PM
919 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Unexpected card behavior on D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Right. I can just set the overflow option, and that will prevent two raw files from being recorded.

Kent

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28512 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.