Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28507
View in linear mode

Subject: "Newby...RAW + JPEG on Safari" Previous topic | Next topic
walkteach48 Registered since 19th May 2013Sat 29-Jun-13 12:26 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Newby...RAW + JPEG on Safari"

US

Hi Again,

I can't tell you how helpful this site has been for someone new to photography. Thank you! I posted last week about weight restrictions on a safari and received much needed advice and was able to pare down my equipment.

I leave for Africa tomorrow, and now, it occurred to me that the setting on my camera that my photo teacher suggested, ...RAW + JPEG (fine) might be a challenge to use when I want to send pictures home from my Macbook Pro or iPad. I understand that to send a picture it should be in JPEG form. I am not sure how to do this on my MacBook or iPad.

-Am I correct in thinking that I will have one RAW photo and one JPEG photo?
-Will they be side by side and labeled, so I can pick the correct one?
-Do they look similar?
-Is this the best setting on my camera?
-I have 8 32 MB cards will these will used up too fast on a two week trip with this setting? I am planning to keep these as a back up.
-Should I change my basic setting to JPEG?

I am learning to edit RAW in Aperture, but am unsure how to proceed with the email issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lydia

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Newby...RAW + JPEG on Safari
JosephK Silver Member
29th Jun 2013
walkteach48
29th Jun 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
29th Jun 2013
professorune
29th Jun 2013
mudman2 Silver Member
29th Jun 2013
pgalligan
30th Jun 2013
sabbey51 Silver Member
02nd Jul 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
03rd Jul 2013

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 29-Jun-13 01:05 AM
4195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Newby...RAW + JPEG on Safari"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

>I leave for Africa tomorrow, and now, it occurred to me that
>the setting on my camera that my photo teacher suggested,
>...RAW + JPEG (fine) might be a challenge to use when I want
>to send pictures home from my Macbook Pro or iPad. I
>understand that to send a picture it should be in JPEG form. I
>am not sure how to do this on my MacBook or iPad.
>
>-Am I correct in thinking that I will have one RAW photo and
>one JPEG photo?

Yes.

>-Will they be side by side and labeled, so I can pick the
>correct one?

They will have the same filename (letters before the dot) One file will have an extention of .NEF the other .JPG

>-Do they look similar?

Depends on whose raw converter you are using. If you are using Nikon's software, yes they will initially look the same.

>-Is this the best setting on my camera?

There is no best, just a bunch of compromises to choose from. This is certainly not a bad way to go.

>-I have 8 32 MB cards will these will used up too fast on a
>two week trip with this setting? I am planning to keep these
>as a back up.
>-Should I change my basic setting to JPEG?

Hopefully you mean 8 32 GB cards.
I would think that would be plenty of space.

The JPG file is great for email, but you will need to size it down for emailing. One way to do that is having the camera create them as size=small and quality=basic.

Staying with the raw+JPG setting give you the best of both worlds at the cost of card space.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

walkteach48 Registered since 19th May 2013Sat 29-Jun-13 01:52 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Newby...RAW + JPEG on Safari"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thank you for your reply, Joseph,

Oops....Yes, I did mean GB.
How do I change settings to small/basic? Which menu on the camera?
I am using Aperture to edit my photos. Is that what you mean by a raw converter? I use Apple products.
I really am blindly diving into this wonderful hobby and obviously have a lot to learn.

Thanks,

Lydia

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 29-Jun-13 01:05 PM
2955 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Newby...RAW + JPEG on Safari"
In response to Reply # 2

Hatboro, Pa, US

If you're using a Mac to mail your photos you don't have to save your in camera files to small or basic. You can set the size in the mailer to small, medium, large or original. That way you can save your camera files to whatever size you want. I don't know if the Windows mail program can do the same thing since I haven't used a Windows computer in years.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

professorune Registered since 08th Jun 2013Sat 29-Jun-13 02:37 PM
379 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Newby...RAW + JPEG on Safari"
In response to Reply # 1

HK

As you've already got a RAW file, may consider setting the JPEG to "normal" if you're afraid of running out of memory.

But with 8x 32GB cards you should have plenty of space. May only need to revert to above if you're really pressed for capacity; which is better than deleting files whilst shooting - an activity to be restricted to the end of a day of shooting or after the trip.

Also depends on the duration of your trip & how you shoot eg will you be shooting multiple frames of wildlife.

Enjoy your trip. I'm sure you'll have a great time

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Sat 29-Jun-13 05:55 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Newby...RAW + JPEG on Safari"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 29-Jun-13 06:00 PM by mudman2

Jamison, US

The fastest way is to import the photos into iPhoto, once in the library you can use the share button and iPhoto will create a jpg for transport via email or iMessage

I also create a masters folder and copy directly from the SD cards to the masters folder everything on the cards this way you have a back up should a card go down or gets misplaced

I process the masters when I get back from the trip

Here is one cropped in iPhoto, not bad result

pgalligan Registered since 11th Dec 2012Sun 30-Jun-13 06:24 AM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Newby...RAW + JPEG on Safari"
In response to Reply # 0

AU

>...RAW + JPEG (fine) might be a challenge to use when I want
>to send pictures home from my Macbook Pro or iPad.

How do you plan to get the photos onto the iPad if you are going to send them from the iPad? If you don't have the iPad camera kit you will have to use the Macbook to transfer photos to the iPad - too time consuming for me.

You need to decide whether you want to use the 2nd SD card for the convenience of having JPGs ready to email (as well as a being a backup), or as a full quality backup (RAW). That will depend mostly on how much time you expect to have at the end of each day.

I just spent 7 nights in Fiji and since we were staying at the same resort the whole time I wasn't concerned about ease of emailing/uploading photos. So I used the 2nd SD card for RAW backup. Each night I copied my photos from the primary card to my Macbook (using Aperture), then formatted the primary card ready for the next day. I exported JPGs from Aperture for any photos that I wanted to email/upload to Facebook etc. If you are pressed for time, especially if you are not staying in the one location, this may be a bit time consuming for you.

The 2nd card never got formatted until I had uploaded all my photos to my Smugmug account after we got home. We were there for a wedding, and I had a separate backup card for the wedding photos. So I had a copy on SD card for all my personal photos, wedding photos on a separate SD card, plus a copy on the Macbook. I had planned on burning the RAW files to DVD as well, as a separate backup to be kept in the hotel safe, but left all my DVDs at home. Doh! I didn't need it, but would have been kicking myself if it turned out that I did.

sabbey51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Tue 02-Jul-13 01:18 AM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Newby...RAW + JPEG on Safari"
In response to Reply # 6

Saddle river, US

As mentioned above, there is no "best" choice, just a series of trade-offs.

I wouldn't worry about the extra space for JPEGs, as they are much smaller than the raw files.

If you're using Aperture on your Mac, then it will automatically convert your Raw files to JPEGs. However, you will need to spend a bit of time "developing" the images - adjusting the crop, white balance and exposure if needed; setting contrast, saturation, etc. These sort of changes can really improve the quality of the finished image. If you shoot JPEGs, most of this will be done in the camera. This can save you some time each day in loading the images onto your laptop, and getting them ready for sending to family and friends.

When I was away for a month on a National Park journey last year in the American West, I was more worried about not loosing any images, so I set my camera to use the second card as a backup. This actually saved me when one card failed. In your case, you can (and should) copy each day's shooting to your laptop at the end of the day.

A 32G card will hold about 900 D7100 images shot in 14 bit lossless compression, the highest quality. So you can guesstimate how many days of shooting you will be able to accomodate on any number of cards. If you delete bad shots right on the camera as someone suggested, you'll obviously save space, but I rarely did this. It's also annoying to have to find the same image on the second card and delete it as well.

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Wed 03-Jul-13 12:38 AM
397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Newby...RAW + JPEG on Safari"
In response to Reply # 7

jacksonville, US

unless you are using a wu1a/b wireless adapter, you are not getting imaged to the ipad easily. if you are just thinking about storage, in case you need to clear the cards, then just dump them to your macbook hard drive. if you want to share with folks at home, spring for a paid dropbox account, hook the macbook to the camera, and drag and drop both the jpgs and nefs to the cloud. anyone you share the password with can then access the dropbox, and you don't have to screw with email.

dropbox is 2gb free, 100 gb for $10. a month.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28507 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.