Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28501
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 1.3x crop mode question." Previous topic | Next topic
rws67 Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Jun 2013Fri 28-Jun-13 08:32 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 1.3x crop mode question."

Cedar Park, US

When shooting in the 1.3 x crop mode, is that just the same as shooting in normal mode and cropping in post 1.3 or more depending on what you are trying to do. Or is it better to shoot in the 1.3x mode to begin with if you are trying to get closer? i.e. wildlife or something far away.

Rob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7100 1.3x crop mode question.
MarkM10431 Silver Member
28th Jun 2013
RRowlett Silver Member
28th Jun 2013
billD80 Silver Member
28th Jun 2013
rws67 Gold Member
29th Jun 2013
gfinlayson Silver Member
30th Jun 2013
Bushido7100
30th Jun 2013

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Fri 28-Jun-13 09:17 PM
376 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 1.3x crop mode question."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 28-Jun-13 09:19 PM by MarkM10431

jacksonville, US

when you shoot in DX you are shooting basically the full frame. when you shoot in 1.3, what you see in the large rectangle/octagon is what you are capturing

as far as the close in effect,

here are the comparison shots i made when i was on my fam walkabout.
it's done in the camera, and the crop files are smaller than the DX mode

RRowlett Silver Member Charter MemberFri 28-Jun-13 10:05 PM
1087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 1.3x crop mode question."
In response to Reply # 0

Hamilton, US

>When shooting in the 1.3 x crop mode, is that just the same
>as shooting in normal mode and cropping in post...

Similar, but not exactly. When shooting in 1.3x crop mode, you are only using a portion of your sensor to record the image and your in-camera processing does the rest. It will write out a correspondingly smaller image file.

If you shoot full-sensor and then crop in post, processing is controlled by your processing program, which may (will) be different from in-camera processing. You will write out a larger, full-size image from the camera.

>Or is it better to
>shoot in the 1.3x mode to begin with if you are trying to get
>closer? i.e. wildlife or something far away.

Shooting and cropping in post gives you more control over the crop and processing. Cropping in camera may save you more work later and allow you to shoot longer bursts in continuous mode if that is required to get the right shot.

Choose according to your needs.

Cheers.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 28-Jun-13 11:22 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 1.3x crop mode question."
In response to Reply # 2

US

I would think cropping later in PP would be preferable to the 1.3x mode because you don't need perfect framing when the shot is made... The crop can be executed later with real precision, and full effect.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

rws67 Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Jun 2013Sat 29-Jun-13 01:50 AM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7100 1.3x crop mode question."
In response to Reply # 3

Cedar Park, US

Thanks for the example of what it looks like. I figured it would be just as good or not better to just crop in post the larger file. But wasnt sure.

Rob

And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Sun 30-Jun-13 10:05 AM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7100 1.3x crop mode question."
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 30-Jun-13 10:07 AM by gfinlayson

Maidenhead, GB

1.3 crop mode does improve available buffer and frame rate compared to the full DX mode because of the smaller file sizes, so that may or may not be a relevant consideration for you. You still get a RAW file which can be post processed to your taste.

Bushido7100 Registered since 03rd Jun 2013Sun 30-Jun-13 08:44 PM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7100 1.3x crop mode question."
In response to Reply # 5

US

Also, in 1.3 crop mode you will get 7 fps vs 6 fps in normal dx mode.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28501 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.