Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28496
View in linear mode

Subject: "Supermoon via the D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Fri 28-Jun-13 04:28 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Supermoon via the D7000"

US

Color is fairly accurate; I assume this is the effect of pollution / haze. I did some minimal pp work in LR4 to bring up contrast.

Anyhow, I think the D7000 did a credible job.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Supermoon via the D7000
elec164 Silver Member
29th Jun 2013
RLDubbya Silver Member
29th Jun 2013
ddoonn
01st Jul 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
01st Jul 2013
RLDubbya Silver Member
01st Jul 2013

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sat 29-Jun-13 12:18 AM
1966 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Supermoon via the D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Nicely done Bob! Yeah the D7000 still holds its own.

In the north east we are pretty socked in with cloud cover lately, but late this past Sunday I had a small window of opportunity to get off this shot with my D7000 and a Bigma before the clouds moved back in.

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Sat 29-Jun-13 01:32 AM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Supermoon via the D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Good shot, Pete.

I know what you mean by cloud cover. I had to sit and wait for 90 minutes to get that 10 minute break in cover. I was a bit disappointed: the moonrise had started as a deep red color, but continued to fade in saturation as it moved up and across the sky.

ddoonn Registered since 29th Mar 2013Mon 01-Jul-13 05:35 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Supermoon via the D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

Your moon shows up great.

I had great clear night and took photos too. Unfortunately, they were all way too overexposed. Even after adjustments, i can not get any moon details. (shot with 70-200 lens zoomed all the way in)

How do you set exposure properly for this?

=Donald
D7000 plus more lenses than i know how to use -- new to photography with equipment inherited from my dad.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 01-Jul-13 07:41 PM
2887 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Supermoon via the D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

Hatboro, Pa, US

You have to realize that the moon is being illuminated by the sun. So the exposure will be like a sunlit day down here. If you use a meter you want to only meter the moon and not the whole frame because the meter will average the whole frame which is mostly black and way over expose. I use spot metering centering the center spot on the center of the moon.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Mon 01-Jul-13 10:19 PM
#5. "RE: Supermoon via the D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Pretty much what Len said.

Then it's a question of knowing your equipment and your limitations.

So, this was shot with a 70-200 and 2x teleconverter for an effective focal length of 400mm. I know that I have to be lucky to handhold this combination at speeds below 1/400, but I've done it before.

I also know that, generally speaking, the sweet spot for optical performance of most lenses is around f8.

I want to keep ISO as low as possible - hopefully base ISO of 100. Otherwise, there's going to be noise.

So, I ended up having to go to ISO 200, which gave me a properly exposed spot meter reading at f/5.6 and 1/200th.

However, luck was not my friend that night, and try as I might, I was too shaky to get a good frame handheld.

So I broke out my big tripod. However, this was taken on the top of a hill within about 100 yards of a freeway. The stream of heavy truck traffic was causing my rig to vibrate. So, I really couldn't step down the aperture to that sweet spot, as that lowered my shutter speed to the point where there was some blur. Had I been really prepared, I would have had a sandbag to hang from the tripod's center column to steady it a bit.

I didn't have my remote release with me, so I used self-timer mode, that way I didn't have to have my hands on the camera when the exposure was made.

I hope that helps give you some ideas. I read in one of your posts that you're just getting started in this hobby. The thing I really love about getting the right image is that it's a puzzle: there's so many variables to think through and master, so much technique to learn, so many challenges to experience. It's really great fun.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28496 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.