Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28365
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which remote?" Previous topic | Next topic
MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Fri 21-Jun-13 06:51 PM
354 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which remote?"

jacksonville, US

I'm seeing many remotes listed for the 7100, from the mc-dc2 cord
ml-l3 remote
wr-r10/wr-t10
wr-1 wireless controller
comm unit ut-1
wt-5 wireless transmitter
wu-1a mobile adapter

anyone have the skinny on these guys? from what I am reading the WU-1A mobile adaper lets you control the camera from an Ipad/Iphone, and lets you transfer the photos as well.

anyone have this gizmo? I have also see a simular device called Cam Ranger.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which remote?
DaddySS Gold Member
22nd Jun 2013
jeffcs Silver Member
23rd Jun 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
24th Jun 2013
Elrique64a Gold Member
24th Jun 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
26th Jun 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
27th Jun 2013

DaddySS Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2006Sat 22-Jun-13 06:16 PM
765 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which remote?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 22-Jun-13 06:17 PM by DaddySS

Woodcliff Lake, US

The ML-L3 will control the shutter release when the ML-L3 remote is turned on in the shooting menu.

The WR-R10 and RT10 work as a pair using radio frequency instead of infared.

The WR-1 works tihe other WR-1s or WR10s set to chanel A.

The WT-5 is a wireless adapter and an transmit images to your workstation or phone or control the camera with software like camera control pro.

The WU-1A is a wifi adapter that can be used with your smartphone to view images or control the shutter using the smartphone app.

Richard

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sun 23-Jun-13 01:36 PM
110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which remote?"
In response to Reply # 1

egg harbor twp, US

I have the wu-1A $59.99 it works as noted and for quick up-loads from my I-phone works great note you will not be getting full quality out of the camera as far as remote $9.95 I use the little Nikon remote as a trigger for the D7100 and D3200 no 10pin connector as on my D3 & D800
Enjoy your Nikons
Jeff
See it, shoot it, for tomorrow the light will have changed

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Mon 24-Jun-13 03:47 PM
354 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which remote?"
In response to Reply # 2

jacksonville, US

I'm only using it for remote shutter trip for now.

Elrique64a Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2012Mon 24-Jun-13 07:31 PM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Which remote?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lake Stevens, US

A couple of remote methods you didn't mention and they do double duty. I have used both and like them.

RF-602 by Yongnuo: This can be used as both a radio remote trigger for the camera and as a non-iTTL strobe/flash trigger. Get the model with the cabling you need for your camera, they run fairly cheap on ebay. Roughly $30 or so.

Pros: Dual duty, great range, easy to fit in a pocket or camera bag, not compatible with the next one I'll mention.

Cons: These work on a transmitter/receiver method, where you have one of each (or more receivers.) the transmitter uses one of those funky CR2 batteries which can be somewhat hard to find. Not TTL. No one camera flash when transmitter mounted on camera. Receiver has a cold shoe on the bottom, no pass-through.

RF-603 by Yongnou: This is a huge improvement over the 602's. Tranceiver design instead of a transmitter/receiver combo. Uses different cables than the 602's. Works again as both a camera remote shutter and as a flash/strobe trigger. Just need the right cables for the job you are doing. Will not do TTL. Again, about $30 a pair.

Pros: designed as a transceiver, so whichever you trigger through either the button on top or the shutter release becomes the transmitter and the other becomes the receiver. Uses AAA batteries, fairly easy to find. Has pass-through on the hot shoe mount, so can fire a TTL flash through the transceiver.

Cons: Not compatible with the 602's, different cabling, so will need to get the cables for strobes, etc, separately. Most of the suppliers for these are in China so plan for longer shipping times. They can be found from US suppliers, but a bit more expensive.

These work really well, either model. I'm leaning more toward the 603's simply from the convenience of battery selection. Can "daisy chain" either model of these to fire either 2 cameras, one after the other, etc. or one set to fire the camera with a transceiver on the hot shoe to fire strobes (different channels.) They are fairly durable, but aren't something I want to bang around a lot. They do NOT lock to the camera, so if you are moving with a flash on the hot shoe mount, it might fall off, or lose connection.

I also have the WU-1A and it's just a neat toy now, until someone develops decent software for android to run all the features it could use. The Nikon software is, well, sub-par. When I'm shooting a stack or doing something I can take my tablet with me to shoot, I'm still tethering.

HTH

Mike G.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Wed 26-Jun-13 09:08 PM
669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Which remote?"
In response to Reply # 4

Los Angeles, US

For my D7000, I bought the cord release, and then the IR remote. I do product photography on a tripod and like to stand next the camera when shooting. Both Nikon accessories are in the $15 bracket. I don't need to be 30 feet from the camera, but the IR trigger has surprising range and can even fire around corners, with some juggling of position.

I don't like have to attach gadgets to the hotshoe. And don't want to spend of $$$ for fancy hardware requiring batteries and tweeking.

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Thu 27-Jun-13 02:57 AM
#6. "RE: Which remote?"
In response to Reply # 5

jacksonville, US

i ordered the wu 1a and found out it was back ordered 6 weeks canceled that and got the mc-dc-2 when i have the money I'll go to the cam ranger. sounds like its a do it all remote.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28365 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.