Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28361
View in linear mode

Subject: "Screen Protectors and the out of stock issue." Previous topic | Next topic
PCassidy Registered since 29th May 2011Fri 21-Jun-13 01:13 PM
142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Screen Protectors and the out of stock issue."

Gainesville, US

Hello everyone, I've been shopping for some good screen protection and it is very hard to find any. When I read the reviews there are issue like not design for the 7100 but the 7000, doesn't fit or simply no stocked item. Mainly "None in stock" is what I am finding.

I like the thin glass ones that include a small screen for the control panel. So far I have not found any from Nikon which are usually plastic. I'm trying to do better than just thin film.

Any help is appreciated and Thank You,

Paul

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. Einstein
------------------------------------------------------>
Nikon F, F2, F3, F4, F5 & F100
Nikon D300 D7100

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Screen Protectors and the out of stock issue.
agitater Gold Member
21st Jun 2013
Sixmileman
21st Jun 2013
agitater Gold Member
21st Jun 2013
PCassidy
21st Jun 2013
mudman2 Silver Member
23rd Jun 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
25th Jun 2013

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Fri 21-Jun-13 07:55 PM
3986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Screen Protectors and the out of stock issue."
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Try this one.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

Sixmileman Registered since 06th Mar 2013Fri 21-Jun-13 08:12 PM
133 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Screen Protectors and the out of stock issue."
In response to Reply # 0

US

The Vello one suggested in Reply #1 below works, but it uses adhesive whereas the pricier one ($24.95) uses static adhesion (??) and leaves no adhesive residue. This is the one that continues to be out of stock. I just got my bi-monthly e-mail from B&H today saying that it remains out of stock. I am trying to hold out for the better one, but as someone who has to apply sunblock all the time, it's a pain cleaning the LCD all the time (I know I'll have to clean the protector, but I'll feel better if the gop is on it and not the LCD). I have other items I want to order and I am trying to bundle things to avoid a shipping charge that will probably rival the cost of the screen protector.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Fri 21-Jun-13 08:41 PM
3986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Screen Protectors and the out of stock issue."
In response to Reply # 2

Toronto, CA

Why worry about adhesive residue? The screen protector goes on and stays on. If it is damaged during use, strip it off using strong dental floss (a tip from another Nikonian, mentioned a few years ago in the D300 forum), remove any remaining adhesive by rubbing it off (or with a tiny bit of Goo Gone or some similar product) and install a new protector. The screen protector adhesive won't damage the surface of the Gorilla Glass LCD screen outer layer already on the camera.

The other option, if the correct size is out of stock, is to purchase a Zagg Shield screen protector product (or a similar product from another maker) that is larger than the camera LCD, then use a straight edge metal ruler and an Xacto knife to cut it to size. You can get two, full, rear LCD protectors out of a single Zagg Shield meant for an iPad Mini.

I have a Vello glass protector on my D7100 and my D800. The protectors seem almost indestructible and they're optically great. Clear, clear, clear, unlike the always slightly mottled Zagg Shield and Shieldz flexible plastic protectors.

The most important thing to remember when installing a GGS or Vello glass, adhesive screen protector is to line it up carefully before pressing it into place. Practic lining it up while the wax paper is still in position. Don't remove the wax paper from the adhesize until you understand how best to hold the screen in order to position it accurately. Everybody's fingers and hands and dexterity are different from each other. Take a minute or two or three or however much time you need to practice, then do a proper installation job. Fail to follow the advice and there's a chance you'll end up sticking down the screen misaligned then trying to lift it and reposition it and messing up the adhesive strip, and just generally pooching the job. That's either forty bucks down the drain or a misaligned screen that bugs the heck out of any photographer who's trying to live with it.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

PCassidy Registered since 29th May 2011Fri 21-Jun-13 10:10 PM
142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Screen Protectors and the out of stock issue."
In response to Reply # 3

Gainesville, US

Funny B&H has had me on back order for a Vello screen. Anyway, Thank You I've got the Vello now!

Paul

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. Einstein
------------------------------------------------------>
Nikon F, F2, F3, F4, F5 & F100
Nikon D300 D7100

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Sun 23-Jun-13 03:17 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Screen Protectors and the out of stock issue."
In response to Reply # 4

Jamison, US

just got one off Amazon, Gorilla Glass Adhesive type

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 25-Jun-13 10:16 AM
3327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Screen Protectors and the out of stock issue."
In response to Reply # 5

Dyserth, GB

I used the adhesive GGS screen protector for the D600 on my D7100 and it fits fine.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28361 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.