Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28358
View in linear mode

Subject: "Magnetic fields" Previous topic | Next topic
RobertK Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2013Fri 21-Jun-13 12:27 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Magnetic fields"

Roselle, US

I’ll be visiting the Krell laboratory I mean Fermilab next month. While the place is mostly decommissioned, I still have concerns about using my D7100 near 50 foot magnets. Has anyone else visited an atom smasher lately?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 21-Jun-13 12:57 PM
1987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Magnetic fields"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 21-Jun-13 12:57 PM by elec164

US

Never visited one, but I would think particle accelerators by their nature would use electromagnets not permanent magnets.

As such there might be some residual magnetic forces in some of the structure, but there shouldn't be much magnetic forces present to affect the functioning of the DSLR I would think.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Dgastrong Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012Fri 21-Jun-13 01:01 PM
862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Magnetic fields"
In response to Reply # 0

Sonoita, US

I suspect the only part of your camera system that is vulnerable is the memory card(s). They may not let you get close with anything magnetic or electronic around your neck or in your pockets. That being said remember that the magnetic field strength increases three fold as your distance to the magnet decreases by one; inverse distance cubed. If you shoot from a distance you should be fine, no macros of the magnets..
Dale

DHoff Registered since 10th Oct 2007Sat 22-Jun-13 02:13 PM
180 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Magnetic fields"
In response to Reply # 0

Lynchburg, US

Nice reference to Forbidden Planet . I wouldn't worry too much about the electronics in your camera. I would maybe have a concern about the shutter mechanism if I was using it in close proximity to a large magnet. As noted elsewhere the magnetic attraction falls of rapidly with distance (I would have thought inverse square law as in radio and most any other type of wave but you get the picture).

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sun 23-Jun-13 11:03 AM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Magnetic fields"
In response to Reply # 3

Port Charlotte, US

From a strictly theoretical perspective it would be the inverse square law if the magnet field was generated by a monopole source. However, in reality, magnets are two poles and so the field decay calculation is more complicated and can range to an inverse cubed decay or more depending on where you are in relationship to the composite field and the shape of the field (could be multiple poles - 4, 6, 8, etc).

If there were strong residual magnetic fields, warning signs would probably be in place. Your camera should be fine

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28358 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.