Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28356
View in linear mode

Subject: "Will the SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 U..." Previous topic | Next topic
BigBen636 Registered since 28th Feb 2013Fri 21-Jun-13 06:43 AM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Will the SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 UHS-I work on the Nikon D7100 ?"

IL

Question: Will the SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 UHS-I work on the Nikon D7100 ?

What is the SDHC Memory Card Extreme Pro Class 10 UHS-I and the SDXC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 UHS-I ?
======================================================================
B&H
SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 UHS-I…… $48.95
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/844763-REG/SanDisk_SDSDU_064G_A11_64GB_SDXC_Memory_Card.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

Ben

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Will the SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Ultra Class ...
agitater Gold Member
23rd Jun 2013
BigBen636
23rd Jun 2013
agitater Gold Member
23rd Jun 2013
BigBen636
23rd Jun 2013
agitater Gold Member
23rd Jun 2013
BigBen636
23rd Jun 2013
agitater Gold Member
23rd Jun 2013
BigBen636
23rd Jun 2013
BigBen636
23rd Jun 2013
Sixmileman
23rd Jun 2013
agitater Gold Member
23rd Jun 2013

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sun 23-Jun-13 12:21 PM
3970 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Will the SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 UHS-I work on the Nikon D7100 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

The SanDisk Utra cards are relatively slow - 10 MB/sec write speed - in my opinion much better suited to the smaller files of 12 megapixel cameras.

The SanDisk Extreme Pro cards - 45 MB/sec write speed - are much better suited to 24 megapixel file sizes generated by the D7100.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

BigBen636 Registered since 28th Feb 2013Sun 23-Jun-13 01:50 PM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Will the SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 UHS-I work on the Nikon D7100 ?"
In response to Reply # 1

IL

Thanks,and do you have an opinion how the "SanDisk Utra cards" would work on the D7100 video ?????
Ben

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sun 23-Jun-13 02:45 PM
3970 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Will the SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 UHS-I work on the Nikon D7100 ?"
In response to Reply # 2

Toronto, CA

For 720p shooting at 24fps, the Ultra cards should work perfectly well. For 1080p shooting at any frame rate and for high speed 720p shooting, you'll need the Extreme Pro write speed for best results in my opinion.

My Nikonians Gallery

BigBen636 Registered since 28th Feb 2013Sun 23-Jun-13 02:57 PM
#4. "RE: Will the SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 UHS-I work on the Nikon D7100 ?"
In response to Reply # 3

IL

Thanks for you information.
Plan on using it for long interviews that will not need broadcast standards.
Ben

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sun 23-Jun-13 04:04 PM
#5. "RE: Will the SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 UHS-I work on the Nikon D7100 ?"
In response to Reply # 4

Toronto, CA

>Plan on using it for long interviews that will not need
>broadcast standards.

Have a blast, but be careful not to overheat your D7100. Video DSLR bodies have thermal shutoffs because they're not designed to be used the same way as dedicated video cameras and camcorders.

My Nikonians Gallery

BigBen636 Registered since 28th Feb 2013Sun 23-Jun-13 05:00 PM
#6. "RE: Will the SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 UHS-I work on the Nikon D7100 ?"
In response to Reply # 4

IL

Thanks for the warning....
Guess I'll forget that idea about the videotaping of interviews.
Ben

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sun 23-Jun-13 05:41 PM
#7. "RE: Will the SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 UHS-I work on the Nikon D7100 ?"
In response to Reply # 6

Toronto, CA

I think that entire interviews shot from a single angle - from a single, unvarying position - are difficult to follow. Your D7100 can work perfectly well if you stop every 5 minutes or so to change the shooting angle, check the lighting, take sip of water, work a bit with the interview subject, and so on.

Interviews, for entertainment or research or family genealogy purposes, need shot planning. Interviews for security or law enforcement purposes do not.

My Nikonians Gallery

BigBen636 Registered since 28th Feb 2013Sun 23-Jun-13 05:53 PM
#8. "RE: Will the SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 UHS-I work on the Nikon D7100 ?"
In response to Reply # 7

IL

It will be for family history and genealogy.
Would think 5 minutes is too limiting. Probably use my old video camera.
Ben

BigBen636 Registered since 28th Feb 2013Sun 23-Jun-13 05:54 PM
#9. "RE: Will the SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 UHS-I work on the Nikon D7100 ?"
In response to Reply # 8

IL

Forgot to thank you....
Ben

Sixmileman Registered since 06th Mar 2013Sun 23-Jun-13 06:48 PM
133 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Will the SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 UHS-I work on the Nikon D7100 ?"
In response to Reply # 9

US

I'd suggest the SanDisk Extreme Pro Class 10 with a claimed 95 MB/S write speed to maximize frame rate.

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sun 23-Jun-13 07:45 PM
#11. "RE: Will the SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 UHS-I work on the Nikon D7100 ?"
In response to Reply # 8

Toronto, CA

>It will be for family history and genealogy.
>Would think 5 minutes is too limiting. Probably use my old
>video camera.

The D7100 is rated for between 20-29 minutes of continous video shooting, depending on the resolution and quality settings. So my 5 minute suggestion was really more of a generalization about breaking up a long, boring, fixed shot angle. If you're doing genealogy interviews, you're probably good to go with your D7100. Just use an interview timer to give your camera a rest and avoid overheating. if that's not possible because you don't want to break the train of someone's thoughts - especially seniors - then your old digital video camera might be a better choice.

I think the choice of camera also might depend on the reason for gathering the interview footage in the first place. For example, if you're going to be using the footage to compile a documentary video about a family history, the higher quality D7110 footage might be the best way to go. On the other hand, if the footage is being gathered mainly for fact gathering in order to preserve family stories as well as genealogical history for compilation as a book, web site and/or family tree, the digital vidcam footage will do quite nicely I think.

My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28356 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.