Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28319
View in linear mode

Subject: "What are your favorite AE-L/AF-L and Fn custom settings..." Previous topic | Next topic
plankowner110 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004Wed 19-Jun-13 03:32 PM
469 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What are your favorite AE-L/AF-L and Fn custom settings?"

Ohio, US

What are your favorite custom settings for the two AE-L/AF-L and Fn buttons on your D7100/D7000?

Right now my new D7100 is set at
AF-E/AF-L: the default setting
Fn: Spot metering

Just looking for other suggestions from avid photographers.
Thanks,
Bill

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What are your favorite AE-L/AF-L and Fn custom sett...
km6xz Moderator
19th Jun 2013
Vlad_IT Silver Member
31st Aug 2013
espeto68 Gold Member
19th Jun 2013
Lolrogge Silver Member
20th Jun 2013
km6xz Moderator
20th Jun 2013
Lolrogge Silver Member
20th Jun 2013
Toby01 Silver Member
20th Jun 2013
cocola Silver Member
19th Jun 2013
mklass Platinum Member
20th Jun 2013
Seragone Silver Member
05th Sep 2013
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
06th Sep 2013

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 19-Jun-13 04:40 PM
3301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What are your favorite AE-L/AF-L and Fn custom settings?"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

I use ae/af-l set to af-on and fn set to ae-l. For me it works better than having two thumb buttons close together like on the d3/4 and d800. Using the thumb and index finger controlling both essential controls at the same time without taking my eye from the vf is perfect......for me anyway. I set all my cameras for that even the d800
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Sat 31-Aug-13 02:49 AM
1092 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: What are your favorite AE-L/AF-L and Fn custom settings?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>I use ae/af-l set to af-on and fn set to ae-l.

Stan, when are you using ae-l? not in MM, right? I can see it needed when spot metering is used, but current cameras does the spot metering on the AF sensor selected. I do not see value of ae-l, but again, I might did not encounter a situation when it will be useful

Best regards,
Vlad

espeto68 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Wed 19-Jun-13 04:49 PM
453 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What are your favorite AE-L/AF-L and Fn custom settings?"
In response to Reply # 0

Oeiras, PT

Hi Bill,

Though i don't have a D7000/7100, my prefered setup on my D90/D70s is:
AF-E/AF-L : AF-ON
Fn: Spot metering (the D70s doesn't have this one)

José

Nikonians!!! My best investment made after my camera!!!

D700, D90, D70s(IR), F100, F80, F Photomic FTn

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Thu 20-Jun-13 01:04 AM
279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What are your favorite AE-L/AF-L and Fn custom settings?"
In response to Reply # 2

Ayden, US

I wonder what advantage there is in programming the AE-L/AF-L to AF-ON. I do not have a D7000/ D7100; either, I have a D5100 that I programmed the button for AF-ON. When I press the button, it focuses, but to engage VR, I have to depress the Shutter Release half way. My D200 has a dedicated AF-ON button and it works the same as the D5100. Why not just depress the Shutter Release half way?

Is there some advantage to the AF-ON that I don't know about.

Laverne

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 20-Jun-13 09:29 AM
3301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: What are your favorite AE-L/AF-L and Fn custom settings?"
In response to Reply # 4

St Petersburg, RU

Yes, there are benefits that suit many shooters. By decoupling the AF function from the shutter, and setting the mode to AF-C, you have complete control of focusing for both moving and static subjects and recomposing without starting the focusing process. If shooting a static subject, press the AF-on for the exact focus point needed, such as an eye in a portrait. The most sensitive and accurate focus point is the center cross point. When focus is achieved, release the AF-on button and recompose as you wish, for rule of 3rds or other preference. If the subject has not moved forward or back, focus will still be good, discounting any field curvature.
Without any setting change, if the subject moves, AF-C continuous focus tracking is engaged as long as you hold the AF-On button. Both static and active subjects are shot with the AF-C mode. The only disadvantage is AF-C mode does not enable the AF Assist light that is needed at times shooting in very dark conditions. The newer cameras such as the D7100, D600, D800 and D4 are all very good in low light focusing however.
There is no need to stabilize the VR by the 1/2 shutter press. I had run tests to see if there is a difference in performance by allowing the system the fraction of a second that a a 1/2 press provides and found that any full shutter release is enough time to settle into the stabilized image. That makes logical sense since the response time of the driven element is so fast that it reacts to minute and fast camera movement due to shake in less time than the 50-60 ms shutter response.

Recomposing means re-metering so having the AE-L function available gives you total control of focus(af-on) and metering(ae-l) without any adjustments or removing your eye from the VF. Locking metering is needed because even in Matrix meter mode that considered the entire scene, it is still biased toward the level under the current focus point so you have the choice of metering on the subject you focused on or another tone level in the scene. It sounds complicated but after short practice it is almost automatic how you determine metering and focus independently from the shutter release. It gives you much more control of how the image looks when captured.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Thu 20-Jun-13 02:54 PM
279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: What are your favorite AE-L/AF-L and Fn custom settings?"
In response to Reply # 5

Ayden, US

You are right, it does sound complicated. I will have to spend some time practicing to see what improvements I get.

Thanks for the info.

Laverne

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Thu 20-Jun-13 08:05 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: What are your favorite AE-L/AF-L and Fn custom settings?"
In response to Reply # 5

El Sobrante, US

Thanks for this info, Stan. Your explanation makes perfect sense for controls that I have never tried using before. I'm going to have a try with your setup.

cocola Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2008Wed 19-Jun-13 05:10 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What are your favorite AE-L/AF-L and Fn custom settings?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lawrenceville, US

I use the AE-L/AF-L as AE-L only, and use the Function Key as an AF-L. I enjoy separating the AE and AF functions and am trying to get away from the half held shutter before reframing images. I often use Spot metering, so the ability to pick the exact spot for AE is crucial but that same spot is not always where I want to focus.

Just my take on it...Interested in seeing other replies for this one.

- Cocola

cocola

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 20-Jun-13 12:48 PM
5870 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: What are your favorite AE-L/AF-L and Fn custom settings?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

I've set AE/AF--L to AE-ON. The Fn button along with a dial is set to change crop. I also use the FN button on the D3s and D800e to do the same, so I have consistency across the 3 bodies.

However, I do see when having one button lock exposure and teh other lock focus would be a good idea.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Seragone Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2012Thu 05-Sep-13 06:38 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: What are your favorite AE-L/AF-L and Fn custom settings?"
In response to Reply # 6

Reston, US

I started a later, related, message string on this topic. I use Fn to change crop mode as there is no other way to do this on the camera itself (?). This is important for me to take action shots using the cropped mode. But very soon I will set up my U1 to do action shots so that maybe I can use the fn differently. It seems that action shooting requires so many changes to my normal settings--set to static pictures--that it makes sense to change a dial setting rather than changing: a to s, cropping size, focusing format, etc. Stan seems always to give good advice so I will read what he wrote again after doing the U1 setup. You know, I am worn out trying to learn all these wonerful capabilities! S

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Fri 06-Sep-13 01:49 PM
367 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: What are your favorite AE-L/AF-L and Fn custom settings?"
In response to Reply # 10

Geneva, US

Don't have my camera in front of me (and I have only used crop mode sparingly), but I seem to remember using the "i" button (lower left corner of LCD) as a quick way to access shifting back and forth between normal and crop modes. This button, new on the D7100, now gives me more direct access to a lot of things I had previously set up under "My Menu" on my D90.

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28319 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.