Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2829
View in linear mode

Subject: "D90 vs D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
RobCD Registered since 10th Nov 2010Sun 05-Dec-10 02:20 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D90 vs D7000"

US

I'm trying to get my arms around how the D7000 might benefit me and my shooting style as compared to my D90. I shoot landscapes and nature 75% of the time followed by macro and occasionally portraits and indoor.

The U1,U2 controls, low light, more rugged body, and dual card slots are nice but I'm especially interested in how the resolution, metering system, and AF system in the D7000 will benefit me in the real world and would appreciate any suggestions or advice.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Sun 05-Dec-10 03:44 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D90 vs D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

With macro and landscapes the greater resolution can provide more detailed sharper images (especially if you have to crop the image) if you use proper technique. There are a few threads detailing the fact that the pixel density of the d7k is less forgiving than the d90 in the sense that things such as camera shake will be more evident. It is important that you use proper technique and keep your shutter speeds up when hand holding. Good tripod technique produces great results, as usual.

The ISO performance of the d7k is outstanding. It is much better than the d90 or the 300/300s. It is simply amazing that Nikon can achieve this type of noise reduction in a sensor with such a high pixel density. The performance is more on par with the d700. This performance is quite an advantage when shooting indoors and in low light.

The metering system is very accurate in my experience. Some have found it shoots a little hot and requires -.3 to -.7 to even out. Standard Nikon metering system, works fine for some, others find it needs some compensation.

The AF system is much better than the d90 and more on par with the d300/300s. The low light AF is quite good. Check out this guys blog entries:

http://wildlifeacrossthewater.blogspot.com/2010/11/nikon-d7000-af-speed-test.html

http://wildlifeacrossthewater.blogspot.com/2010/11/nikon-d7000-af-impressions.html

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 05-Dec-10 07:58 PM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D90 vs D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Your biggest benefit with landscape is extremely low read noise at low ISO allowing a lot more latitude in post adjustments, shooting to capture the bright areas without clipping and having a lot of room to bring up the shadows without increasing noise. That is different from what we have been used to. The base ISO DR is incredible, which is where you shoot with landscape and what is needed for such dynamic scenes.
The DR is in the range of the D3x.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2829 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.