Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28278
View in linear mode

Subject: "New d7100, from a d300...a few questions" Previous topic | Next topic
Barsch Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 18-Jun-13 12:09 AM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New d7100, from a d300...a few questions"

Weston, Florida, US

Just picked up a d7100...

On my d300 I was able to use the multi selector to move the actual focus point to the subject. I can't seem to do that with the d7100. Hopefully I just can't find the right setting.

Also, does anyone happen to have a settings template for various shooting situations? When I originally bought my d300 I attended a nikonian workshop with Mike Hagen and he walked us through the many shooting scenarios. Unfortunately a d7100 workshop isn't going to be in my area for a while.

Thanks,

Barry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New d7100, from a d300...a few questions
Rassie Silver Member
18th Jun 2013
RRowlett Silver Member
18th Jun 2013
Barsch Silver Member
18th Jun 2013
JosephK Silver Member
18th Jun 2013
Barsch Silver Member
18th Jun 2013

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Tue 18-Jun-13 12:16 AM
2838 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New d7100, from a d300...a few questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Milton, CA

It works the same on the D7100. Are you sure you don't have the lever around the multi-selector set to lock (L)? Also, in some auto modes you won't be able to select the focus point.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

RRowlett Silver Member Charter MemberTue 18-Jun-13 12:35 AM
1087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New d7100, from a d300...a few questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Hamilton, US

The D7100 manual is not all that clear, and the AF options are very different from my D100. (Don't know about the D300.) Here are the steps to select a mode that allows you to move the AF points:

1. Ensure that the switch around the multiselector is set to "dot" and not to "L" (lock)
  2. Hold down the AF button (just to left of lens) and select the AF mode by spinning the rear dial.
  3. Hold down the AF button and select the AF mode by spinning the front dial. If you select anything but "Auto" you will be able to select the central focus point. In AF-A and AF-C you have a full suite of choices, including single, 9, 21, 51 point, and 3D mode as well as Auto. In AF-S you get Auto and single point (S).

Cheers.

Barsch Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 18-Jun-13 12:45 AM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New d7100, from a d300...a few questions"
In response to Reply # 2

Weston, Florida, US

I must me a little dense...I have programmed the AE-L/AF-L for AF-On. (I always used AF-On on the d300) When I press the AE-L/AF-L (now operating as AF-On), I see the red focus squares focusing on what the camera thinks I should be focusing on. I know I'm doing something mechanically wrong.

Thanks for all your help...pleasure being a nikonian member.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 18-Jun-13 01:48 AM
4147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: New d7100, from a d300...a few questions"
In response to Reply # 3

Seattle, WA, US

Sounds like you are looking at the wrong AF button. The one you need is on the front of the camera where the D300's "CSM" switch is.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Barsch Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 18-Jun-13 01:58 AM
#5. "RE: New d7100, from a d300...a few questions"
In response to Reply # 4

Weston, Florida, US

Got it...as usual, it's been asked and answered before

"RE: D7100 focus point selection in AF-S mode"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Toby,

Press the focus mode button and spin the sub-command wheel (front) it will be set to auto, rotate to change it to "S" manual page 74.

This threw me too.

Jim

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28278 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.