Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28269
View in linear mode

Subject: "Keeping d7100 dry" Previous topic | Next topic
Seragone Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2012Mon 17-Jun-13 05:58 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Keeping d7100 dry"

Reston, US

Hello all, I plan to take my d7100 with 18-200 lens to Iquazu falls. Part of the trip will be by Zodiak to the base of the falls where we have been "guarantied to get wet". So what to do to keep the camera safe? I think I will mount the camera on my monopod for stability then wrapped a plastic bag around the lens and back over the body, maybe use live view to select the scene to photograph. What do you think? Stephen

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Keeping d7100 dry
rayeddd
17th Jun 2013
billD80 Silver Member
17th Jun 2013
Seragone Silver Member
17th Jun 2013
BrianNK
18th Jun 2013
ericbowles Moderator
18th Jun 2013
Seragone Silver Member
19th Jun 2013

rayeddd Registered since 28th May 2013Mon 17-Jun-13 06:16 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Keeping d7100 dry"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Use a zip loc bag. Cut a hole for the lens and use sone gaffer tape to secure it there. Also put a clear filter on. Put some silica gel packs in the bag with the camera.
Ray.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 17-Jun-13 06:58 PM
2120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Keeping d7100 dry"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Try an EWA-Marine case... Pack/seal your camera inside while you're in the hotel, with the A/C... When you first go out the exterior will fog, but that'll soon dissipate. Unpack in your hotel.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/17357-REG/Ewa_Marine_EM_U_A_U_A_Underwater_Housing.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Seragone Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2012Mon 17-Jun-13 10:22 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Keeping d7100 dry"
In response to Reply # 2

Reston, US

Thanks gents, I had some trouble deciding between a 15 cents zip lock bag and $269 underwater bag until I discovered on Amazon.com that they sold rain protectors for about $20. Several got very good ratings. So I ordered one. I will be fine with this unless the raft flips. Stephen

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

BrianNK Registered since 25th Feb 2013Tue 18-Jun-13 02:11 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Keeping d7100 dry"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I've been using the OP/Tech Rainsleeve's for years.. ~$6 for two from amazon.

I keep a pack in my bags at all times.. love'em!

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 18-Jun-13 06:35 PM
8170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Keeping d7100 dry"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Given the amount of water, I'd probably try the largest zip lock available. You can shoot through the bag and manage most controls from outside the bag. It's not perfect, but it creates an option for extreme conditions. If there is less water than you think, you can take the camera out of the bag.

I normally use a Storm Jacket for normal light rain. I keep it clipped to my pack at all times.

Fogging is a real nuisance. If possible, keep your camera in a plastic bag until the temperature evens and you don't get any condensation on the bag. Don't change lenses in humid warm air if your camera is cold - fogging the sensor is a bigger problem than fogging your lens or filter.

Be sure to take a small absorbent towel. I have one from REI that packs small and stays in my bag. It's great for blotting moisture and you can wring it out if needed.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Seragone Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2012Wed 19-Jun-13 01:26 PM
#6. "RE: Keeping d7100 dry"
In response to Reply # 5

Reston, US

Thanks for the great advice. I ordered the "professional rain cover" from Digital Goya through Amazon. It costs $15 with $5 shipping. I worry when the ads use the word "professional" as often it means the opposite but there were many good reviews, including some from people with D7000 cameras and telephoto lenses. Maybe someone has used this product? I will have to practice focusing through the plastic window in adverse conditions. My hope is to capture pixs below the falls, as water comes cascading down. Any suggestions about water wings!? S

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28269 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.