Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28258
View in linear mode

Subject: "Darn Nikon! Back to two bodies" Previous topic | Next topic
dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006Sun 16-Jun-13 08:06 PM
1496 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Darn Nikon! Back to two bodies"

Roland, US

Like many of you, I shot with two bodies when I had the D700 and D7000. Pixel density wins when it comes to distance. Brian T said it best, it's pixels on the subject that matters. Enter the D800. The DX crop from the D800 has about the same pixel density as the 7000. Eureka! one body to carry. Then, along comes Nikon with the 7100. Resist I did, but eventually I had to take a look. Not convinced that the greater pixel density would improve the reach of the 80-400 all that much, and concerned about the IQ, I took one home to try it.

D7100 with 80-400 @ 400mm, f/5.6, 1/800, ISO 500 (Frame count on D7100 = 22, new!)

Full frame

1500x1000 pixel crop

Larger view by clicking image (do I really have to say that).

David

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Shy Talk Registered since 12th Jun 2010Mon 17-Jun-13 12:44 AM
544 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Darn Nikon! Back to two bodies"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Glasgow, GB

So true

For cropping in, it's pixels every time.

Pixels, kilo pixels, megapixels!

Some folk squawk on here about how 'more Mp' make 'no difference'.

And, there's a sort of truth in that. Heck my first Oly E-1 made some beauty pix with its 5 MP sensor......but...

For telephoto users, all those MP can count though, can they not?

For cropping in hard, that awful 'pixellation' that makes your photo look like a pic of a 'Special Forces' Squaddie, is the last bloody thing you want.

Give me a 36mp DX cam ASAP please Nikon.

my webpage is at http://www.scottishops.co.uk

my Nikonians gallery is here. http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/330319

Bushido7100 Registered since 03rd Jun 2013Fri 21-Jun-13 03:15 PM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Darn Nikon! Back to two bodies"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Absolutely! Since I have upgraded from the D80 to the D7100 I am able to substantially crop.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28258 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.