Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28231
View in linear mode

Subject: "No battery level indicator" Previous topic | Next topic
paulharvey Registered since 15th Jun 2013Sat 15-Jun-13 03:59 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"No battery level indicator"

US

Hello all.

I just searched the forum for this and poured through nine pages of hits. None addressed my problem, which is:

Wherever the battery icon is supposed to appear on the D7000, nothing is there ... just a blank space. And the "Battery Info" menu option in Setup is greyed out. When I try to select it, I get the message, "This option is not available with current settings."

Page 35 of the manual says that no icon is displayed in the control panel when the camera is powered by the optional EP-5B power connector and EH-5a AC adapter and that a little electrical plug icon appears instead. But no such icon appears.

I'm powering the camera with the regular Nikon battery that came with the camera. I don't have the extra battery grip either.

I've tried changing the battery order back and forth but still no battery indicator.

Oh, I forgot ... the little electrical plug <i>does</i> appear in the monitor when I press the "Info" button. That's the only place it appears. But again, I don't have that adapter.

I've searched the manual, the net, and Google. No one else seems to have this problem. Or they're not posting about it.

The camera is a refurbished model and so far everything else seems to work fine.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!
Harvey

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: No battery level indicator
Elrique64a Gold Member
16th Jun 2013
paulharvey
16th Jun 2013
RockyIII Gold Member
16th Jun 2013
paulharvey
16th Jun 2013
BrianNK
18th Jun 2013
paulharvey
18th Jun 2013

Elrique64a Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2012Sun 16-Jun-13 02:48 AM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: No battery level indicator"
In response to Reply # 0

Lake Stevens, US

Sounds to me like you have a problem with the camera or the battery. Take it in to a regular camera shop and see if they will let you try a different battery in your camera and see if that is the problem, then again, try the battery in a different camera. Even if you try it in a different model of camera that takes the same battery. The D7000, D7100, D600, D800 all take the EN-EL15 battery, so the shop should have something there you can test with.

If it's the battery, then it's a relatively cheap fix. Buy a new battery. If it's a camera problem, even cheaper fix, if it's still under warranty. Send it in to get fixed. If not under warranty, then it might cost a bit.

Mike G.

paulharvey Registered since 15th Jun 2013Sun 16-Jun-13 11:08 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: No battery level indicator"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Yes, it probably is either the camera or the battery. I'll try your suggestions tomorrow.

An interesting turn of events since my first post ... last night, during a shoot, "Err 47" began blinking in the Control Panel and the shutter wouldn't fire. I turned the camera off and took the battery and memory card out. Put them back in and the camera wouldn't come on at all.

Hopefully, a new battery will be the answer. If not, I may be out of luck. I bought the thing off eBay and no warranty card came in the box :/

Thanks for your help!

Harvey

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Sun 16-Jun-13 02:41 PM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: No battery level indicator"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

Since the camera is refurbished, are you sure it is a Nikon brand battery?

Rocky

paulharvey Registered since 15th Jun 2013Sun 16-Jun-13 11:10 PM
#4. "RE: No battery level indicator"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's a genuine Nikon battery. It has the brand name on the back and the serial number is in the same format as Nikson's.

Thanks!

Harvey

BrianNK Registered since 25th Feb 2013Tue 18-Jun-13 02:19 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: No battery level indicator"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Very strange... While i don't remember NOT seeing my battery indicator on my D7000 if you google "D7000 top lcd" you'll see a few pictures without the battery indicator shown.

I would do a factory reset and see if that fixes the issue...

As for the battery... I've been using 3rd party batteries for a project im working on and all have worked just like the nikon batter (i'm using a D7100 now but it takes the same battery).

I vote its a setting

paulharvey Registered since 15th Jun 2013Tue 18-Jun-13 05:27 PM
#6. "RE: No battery level indicator"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Okay, I Googled "D7000 top lcd" and did see a few images where there was no battery indicator.

According to the manual, that's normal IF there are EP-5B and EH-5a adapters attached. Also when those items are attached, a small electrical plug icon is supposed to appear on the Info screen.

Apparently my camera thinks I have those adapters attached, as I get no battery indicator anywhere and I do get the little plug icon on the Info screen.

Although I can't find any setting for any of those adapters, nor any mention of them in the manual, I tried a reset anyway. No joy. Nothing changed.

But thanks for your response!
Harvey

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28231 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.