Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28202
View in linear mode

Subject: "non-nikon EN-EL15 Li-Ion battery" Previous topic | Next topic
MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Sat 15-Jun-13 01:11 AM
354 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"non-nikon EN-EL15 Li-Ion battery"

jacksonville, US

any thoughts about using the non Nikon batteries? with the Nikon battery @ $56 on amazon, some of the 3rd party battery grips re becoming an option.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: non-nikon EN-EL15 Li-Ion battery
PCassidy Gold Member
15th Jun 2013
km6xz Moderator
15th Jun 2013
PCassidy Gold Member
16th Jun 2013
ericbowles Moderator
16th Jun 2013
elec164 Silver Member
16th Jun 2013
ericbowles Moderator
16th Jun 2013
RLDubbya
18th Jun 2013
km6xz Moderator
16th Jun 2013
BrianNK
18th Jun 2013
plankowner110 Silver Member
18th Jun 2013
Covey22 Moderator
18th Jun 2013
mklass Platinum Member
18th Jun 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
21st Jun 2013
MasterDabber Silver Member
22nd Jun 2013

PCassidy Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2011Sat 15-Jun-13 02:55 PM
141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: non-nikon EN-EL15 Li-Ion battery"
In response to Reply # 0

Gainesville, US

>any thoughts about using the non Nikon batteries? with the
>Nikon battery @ $56 on amazon, some of the 3rd party battery
>grips re becoming an option.

My experience has been that the OEM units don't last as long and some do may not have the smart chip that tells the camera the charge left and how many more exposures to expect on the given battery unit.

Recently I found I would need three OEM batteries to obtain the same length of time I get with the manufacturers brand of battery.

Paul

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. Einstein
------------------------------------------------------>
Nikon F, F2, F3, F4, F5 & F100
Nikon D300 D7100

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 15-Jun-13 08:44 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: non-nikon EN-EL15 Li-Ion battery"
In response to Reply # 1

St Petersburg, RU

I doubt the majority of users of non-Nikon branded batteries have had as poor a result as you have Paul. I have a mix of Nikon labeled batteries and ones that have other labels and some of the 6 batteries I have actually last longer in both the camera and in bench tests with instruments.
As you know Nikon does not make batteries but relies on companies who are experts in batteries to supply them. Some of those companies are making retail versions of the batteries for all the major brands and models of cameras. I have had excellent results with Delkin brand batteries in the D7000 and D800, and their battery for the D90.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

PCassidy Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2011Sun 16-Jun-13 12:37 PM
141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: non-nikon EN-EL15 Li-Ion battery"
In response to Reply # 2

Gainesville, US

Hi Stan, yes I'm certain, as you said, some manufacturers are making good batteries. I just reached the point that I want to buy the name brand Nikon for Nikon and Sony for Sony. Yes I am paying a premium but then I don't have to think about it once it goes to work.

Paul

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. Einstein
------------------------------------------------------>
Nikon F, F2, F3, F4, F5 & F100
Nikon D300 D7100

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 16-Jun-13 01:22 PM
8152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: non-nikon EN-EL15 Li-Ion battery"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

The Nikon batteries are made by Sony. I have a spec sheet from Nikon on the D7000 battery that specifically references Sony Battery company.

There are "does it operate" and "how long does it last" questions. The newer batteries have electronics to communicate with the camera about battery life, charge level, number of images, etc. Third party batteries should have that information - but you need to verify it. The battery also communicates with the charger and prevents the battery from over charging and reducing life. If the battery gets too hot in charging, life is significantly reduced. I would monitor third party batteries for a while and make sure they don't overheat or sit on a charger too long.

The second issue - battery life - can be more of a factor. If the battery is half the price but has one third the life, is it really cheaper. My experience is that third party batteries have a significantly shorter life than the Nikon batteries. I've purchased 4 branded third party batteries from a reputable source and all failed within a year or two. I've never worn out a Nikon battery - even batteries from my D200 in November 2005 are still operational.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sun 16-Jun-13 04:02 PM
1896 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: non-nikon EN-EL15 Li-Ion battery"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 16-Jun-13 04:03 PM by elec164

US

>The second issue - battery life - can be more of a factor. If
>the battery is half the price but has one third the life, is
>it really cheaper. My experience is that third party
>batteries have a significantly shorter life than the Nikon
>batteries. I've purchased 4 branded third party batteries
>from a reputable source and all failed within a year or two.
>

My experice is just the opposite. I have used Promaster batteries ( which I believe are rebadged Delkin's) for years and they are every bit as good if not better than the Nikon battery that came with the camera.

As far as I know the Promaster that I bought with my D80 back in 2007 is still being used by the granddaughter, and it even had a higher amp/hr rating then the Nikon.

Personally, I would stay away from the unbranded e-bay specials, but would not hesitate to use another Promaster.

Pete

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 16-Jun-13 06:03 PM
8152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: non-nikon EN-EL15 Li-Ion battery"
In response to Reply # 5

Atlanta, US

There are a lot of companies making generic EN-EL15 batteries. Here's an example:
http://oasishk.en.alibaba.com/product/983364145-218388874/EN_EL15_Decoded_Camera_Battery_with_Digital_Camcorder_Battery.html

These run $1-15 each depending on the quantity. Of course, ordering 100 batteries is probably overkill for most of us.

There are only three companies in Japan that make batteries - and Sony is one for them.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

RLDubbya Registered since 24th Dec 2011Tue 18-Jun-13 04:41 PM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: non-nikon EN-EL15 Li-Ion battery"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>My experice is just the opposite. I have used Promaster
>batteries ( which I believe are rebadged Delkin's) for years
>and they are every bit as good if not better than the Nikon
>battery that came with the camera.
>
>As far as I know the Promaster that I bought with my D80 back
>in 2007 is still being used by the granddaughter, and it even
>had a higher amp/hr rating then the Nikon.
>
>Personally, I would stay away from the unbranded e-bay
>specials, but would not hesitate to use another Promaster.
>
>Pete

I had good experience with the ProMaster battery in my D5000. Used it quite a bit, never an issue. My mother-in-law is now using that body, and she doesn't even know which battery is which - there's no difference between them as far as she's concerned.

For some reason, I got all snobby and just bought Nikon batteries for my D7000s. Could be that's what the store had in stock when I purchased.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 16-Jun-13 06:15 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: non-nikon EN-EL15 Li-Ion battery"
In response to Reply # 4

St Petersburg, RU

Sony was the source of a number of recalls for defective batteries in laptops and cellphones and might have been the source of the Nikon recalled batteries a bit over a year ago. The division has been up for sales since last summer but the government wants Nissan to buy it.

As battery companies go, it is not a major player with less than $2 Billion in annual sales, some of the 3rd party makers are bigger and have more success in developing that market and technologies that Sony has not had the money to spare to compete with. Sony is going through a major downsize and is shedding all but its core consumer electronics business. The CEO has stated that they are going to concentrate on mobile devices, digital imaging and gaming, and possibly, medical equipment. There has been a lot of talk about Sony Semiconductors being on the block also. They have already closed dozens of plants and sold off divisions such as its chemical company. The semiconductor division is rumored to be up for sale. If it happens might be why Nikon is getting second sources for sensors.
Given its checkered history and sale-at-a-loss attempts, Sony batteries might be anything but the best option. Rather than internet rumors, I prefer to rely on my own testing and as a result I have been quite happy with my additional charge life from the Delkin batteries at less that $25.
I would not buy any eBay specials or even Amazon unless it came from Amazon stock and not from its associate retailers.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

BrianNK Registered since 25th Feb 2013Tue 18-Jun-13 02:35 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: non-nikon EN-EL15 Li-Ion battery"
In response to Reply # 7
Tue 18-Jun-13 02:35 PM by BrianNK

US

I used to be in the 'Nikon Battery Only' crowed... Until a few months ago.

I'm writing an iOS app that talks to Nikons WU-1a/b wireless controller. With the WiFi adapter plugged into the camera i can drain an EN‑EL15 in a few hours while i'm coding & testing. Rather then put lots of cycles on a $60 Nikon battery i decided to buy a few off-brand batteries.

Having put TONS of cycles (full charge to empty) on the non-nikon EN-EL15 i can say some work amazing and some are not worth the money.

I would HIGHLY recommend the 'Wasabi Power' battery from Amazon (~$24 available for 'prime'.. ships from the manufacture).

I have a few of them now and each works just as good (if not better) then the OEM Nikon.

plankowner110 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004Tue 18-Jun-13 02:51 PM
469 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: non-nikon EN-EL15 Li-Ion battery"
In response to Reply # 8

Ohio, US

Does anyone know anything about this battery? Safe to use?

X-it Photo EN-EL15 rechargeable battery for Nikon
Made in China
Importer: X-it Photo, 1431 Broadway, 4th Floor, NY, NY 10018

I got it free but haven't used it in my D7100.

Thanks,
Bill

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 18-Jun-13 08:41 PM
10410 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: non-nikon EN-EL15 Li-Ion battery"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Bill,

I'd rather go with a known big NYC retailer and a third-party battery maker. I'm debating myself since I just picked up a V1 at the cheap refurb rate and I'm looking to just have a spare on-hand.

http://www.adorama.com/PQACD410.html?kbid=64628

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 18-Jun-13 05:42 PM
5581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: non-nikon EN-EL15 Li-Ion battery"
In response to Reply # 8

Tacoma, US

Same story with me. Always used the Nikon official batteries after bad experiences with 3rd party EN-EL3 units.

Reading several posts here I though I would try a Wasabi battery, to complement my 3 Nikon batteries for my D800e and D7100.

I've had it for 2 weeks and so far it is working without any problem, at least as well as the Nikon version.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Fri 21-Jun-13 11:24 PM
354 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: non-nikon EN-EL15 Li-Ion battery"
In response to Reply # 8

jacksonville, US

good to hear i was looking at the wasabi.

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Sat 22-Jun-13 04:33 PM
3211 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: non-nikon EN-EL15 Li-Ion battery"
In response to Reply # 13

Camberley, GB

Not so happy with my Nikon EN-EL15 that was was supplied with my D7000.
It's about 6 months old and had fairly low use but the age indicator is now on "3". It suddenly went straight from 0 to 3 (missed out 1 and 2). I've now got to send it back for inspection.

Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28202 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.