Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28067
View in linear mode

Subject: "Eye-Fi Mobi vs Nikon - WU-1a" Previous topic | Next topic
BigBen636 Registered since 28th Feb 2013Sun 09-Jun-13 01:51 AM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Eye-Fi Mobi vs Nikon - WU-1a"

IL

Eye-Fi Mobi vs Nikon - WU-1a

Any thoughts of the convenience to transfer to an iPad.
Advantages vs. disadvantages
TIA,
Ben

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Eye-Fi Mobi vs Nikon - WU-1a
sduck409 Silver Member
09th Jun 2013
BigBen636
09th Jun 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
15th Jun 2013
BigBen636
15th Jun 2013
mudman2 Silver Member
15th Jun 2013
Elrique64a Gold Member
16th Jun 2013
anymouse73 Silver Member
16th Jun 2013
Elrique64a Gold Member
16th Jun 2013
anymouse73 Silver Member
19th Jun 2013
BrianNK
18th Jun 2013
BrianNK
18th Jun 2013
Elrique64a Gold Member
20th Jun 2013

sduck409 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Feb 2013Sun 09-Jun-13 02:50 AM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Eye-Fi Mobi vs Nikon - WU-1a"
In response to Reply # 0

Nashville, US

I've got an eye-fi Pro-X2 8gb card in my D7000. It works great, transfers jpgs fast, fits in a card slot. I use mine in the 2nd slot, have the camera set up to store jpgs on it. I don't know how it compares to the newer mobi though.

BigBen636 Registered since 28th Feb 2013Sun 09-Jun-13 07:07 AM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Eye-Fi Mobi vs Nikon - WU-1a"
In response to Reply # 1

IL

Thanks for your reply.
What I understand is that the Eye-Fi Mobi can send photos even without a Wi-Fi network. True with Nikon - WU-1a use the Live View on the camera activate the shutter from an iPad
Ben

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Sat 15-Jun-13 01:04 AM
386 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Eye-Fi Mobi vs Nikon - WU-1a"
In response to Reply # 2

jacksonville, US

>Thanks for your reply.
>What I understand is that the Eye-Fi Mobi can send photos even
>without a Wi-Fi network. True with Nikon - WU-1a use the Live
>View on the camera activate the shutter from an iPad
>Ben

do you HAVE to use live view when using the WU-1a? i cannot get use to live view at all

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

BigBen636 Registered since 28th Feb 2013Sat 15-Jun-13 05:23 AM
#4. "RE: Eye-Fi Mobi vs Nikon - WU-1a"
In response to Reply # 3

IL

I have neither, so I don’t know, but I think I will be buying the Eye-Fi Mobi.
Ben

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Sat 15-Jun-13 12:49 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Eye-Fi Mobi vs Nikon - WU-1a"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 15-Jun-13 12:51 PM by mudman2

Jamison, US

I have the WU-1a and the Eye-fi Pro 2

The eye-fi works well, mostly I leave it in slot 2 and use it tethered to my phone for remote back up when I am out of wifi. It does this without interaction

The WU-1a works in conjunction with the iOS (and android) applications to let you look at the view from the camera and remotely control release

I also have the CamRanger which worked great on the 7000 but I am awaiting a new cable to make it work on the 7100. That gives you creative control and allows you to see the target and control focus and release

Different things for different applications

Elrique64a Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2012Sun 16-Jun-13 01:29 AM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Eye-Fi Mobi vs Nikon - WU-1a"
In response to Reply # 0

Lake Stevens, US

I have both. Used the Eye-Fi in my D7000 for a couple years. The one thing it didn't do was turn the tablet into a shooting aid. Focusing and framing done through traditional methods (through viewfinder or live view.)

The Eye-Fi X2 Pro 8GB card DID turn my tablet into a 10.1" instant chimp monitor, though. If you set the eye-fi into slot 2, shoot jpg small on it can get transfers to the tablet in under 3 seconds or less... Almost instant feedback on your shot.

Now I have the WU-1A to go with my new D7100. This doesn't really work the same way as the Eye-Fi card did. I can use it to either TAKE the photos or PREVIEW them. But, there do seem to be some serious drawbacks to the functionality... I also use the tablet and remote tethering software to do a few things, like Focus Stacking, etc. with my tablet. This is what I envisioned the WU-1A to be like, and it is sort of like tethered without a wire.

1) When you set up the tablet to use the WU-1A for the shooting session you HAVE to make sure you are in the correct shooting mode, with all the settings you will use for the session. Once you have the camera and tablet linked you are stuck. Can't change modes, iso, etc. Have to get out of the photo taking mode of the software on the tablet, make the changes you need for the exposure, go back into software, etc.

2) Zooming in on the liveview display on the tablet doesn't get that high of a level of zoom. If you are doing a stack or critical focusing, can't really zoom in to check where or how well the focus is. You CAN zoom in, but not like some of the other software options for tablets.

3) Peviewing shoots taken has the option to preview all the photos on the camera. It tells you which are raw and which are jpg. BUT unless I'm mistaken, it only sends the jpg embedded in the raw file to the tablet during a preview.

4) Can't tell software to use the contents of one card or the other. I shoot Raw to card slot 1 and jpg small to slot 2. When it shows a directory of the photos on the camera, the software shows all the photos taken, by name order (or time shot, same thing, basically) mixing up the raws with the jpgs.

It's a kind of cool little toy, with some functionality. Since you are networked to the camera with this device on it, the software for getting other and more improved functionality is just a waiting game. There is at least one other piece of software that can use the WU-1A/B to control the camera, and with it you can set ISO, fstop, shutter, etc from the software. And the liveview zoom works as intended, too, so can check for critical focus, etc.

Overall I will probably still wire tether to my tablet until Helicon Remote for Android gets support for this device. shooting stacks with this software is just too easy!

Mike G.

anymouse73 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jan 2013Sun 16-Jun-13 12:27 PM
70 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Eye-Fi Mobi vs Nikon - WU-1a"
In response to Reply # 6

Philadelphia, US

Does the eye-fi, WU-1a, or anything on the market talk to a laptop, or is it only to a mobile device? I would really like to tether my D7100 to my laptop somehow to get the pix into Lightroom.

Any suggestions?

Bob

Elrique64a Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2012Sun 16-Jun-13 05:19 PM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Eye-Fi Mobi vs Nikon - WU-1a"
In response to Reply # 7

Lake Stevens, US

The Eye-Fi card can be used to send to a laptop, and you don't need to go to the X2 or Pro models to get that functionality. I'm not sure if you can use the WU-1A from a laptop, haven't tried it.

You would just have to watch the folder the eye-fi card writes to in order to know where to go in lightroom. Not a big deal, really. From that folder you could move, reorganize, etc, then do any editing you want.

Might need the pro version of the card to send raw files, not sure, about that... Check out their website for more info.

Mike G.

anymouse73 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jan 2013Wed 19-Jun-13 01:21 AM
70 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Eye-Fi Mobi vs Nikon - WU-1a"
In response to Reply # 8

Philadelphia, US

Thanks, Mike G.

Bob

BrianNK Registered since 25th Feb 2013Tue 18-Jun-13 09:06 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Eye-Fi Mobi vs Nikon - WU-1a"
In response to Reply # 7

US

>Does the eye-fi, WU-1a, or anything on the market talk to a
>laptop, or is it only to a mobile device? I would really like
>to tether my D7100 to my laptop somehow to get the pix into
>Lightroom.

I have written a 'desktop' application that pulls new images from the WU-1a/b and imports them into Lightroom. I'll have it in the Mac (OSX) app store once im done with my iOS app. I've got the bones of a Windows version done... but its low on my list of to-do's.

BrianNK Registered since 25th Feb 2013Tue 18-Jun-13 08:52 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Eye-Fi Mobi vs Nikon - WU-1a"
In response to Reply # 6

US

>1) When you set up the tablet to use the WU-1A for the
>shooting session you HAVE to make sure you are in the correct
>shooting mode, with all the settings you will use for the
>session. Once you have the camera and tablet linked you are
>stuck. Can't change modes, iso, etc. Have to get out of the
>photo taking mode of the software on the tablet, make the
>changes you need for the exposure, go back into software,
>etc.

This is a limitation of Nikons crappy software.. Not the WU-1A.

>2) Zooming in on the liveview display on the tablet doesn't
>get that high of a level of zoom. If you are doing a stack or
>critical focusing, can't really zoom in to check where or how
>well the focus is. You CAN zoom in, but not like some of the
>other software options for tablets.

You forget to mention that the iOS version of Nikons software is written for the iPhone... not the iPad.

>3) Peviewing shoots taken has the option to preview all the
>photos on the camera. It tells you which are raw and which
>are jpg. BUT unless I'm mistaken, it only sends the jpg
>embedded in the raw file to the tablet during a preview.

Correct.. also, if you download a RAW file it has the camera convert the image to JPG (no true RAW download).

>4) Can't tell software to use the contents of one card or the
>other. I shoot Raw to card slot 1 and jpg small to slot 2.
>When it shows a directory of the photos on the camera, the
>software shows all the photos taken, by name order (or time
>shot, same thing, basically) mixing up the raws with the jpgs.

Nikon's software again!!

>It's a kind of cool little toy, with some functionality.
>Since you are networked to the camera with this device on it,
>the software for getting other and more improved functionality
>is just a waiting game. There is at least one other piece of
>software that can use the WU-1A/B to control the camera, and
>with it you can set ISO, fstop, shutter, etc from the
>software. And the liveview zoom works as intended, too, so
>can check for critical focus, etc.
>
>Overall I will probably still wire tether to my tablet until
>Helicon Remote for Android gets support for this device.
>shooting stacks with this software is just too easy!

Or... You could wait for a new app soon to be published to the iOS App store Written by an awesome, yet humble, member of this forum (ME!).

1) Full iPad support.
2) Full camera control (even in live view)
3) RAW download support.
4) Fixes most (if not all) of the complaints above.
5) Faster transfer speeds then Nikon's App.

$4.99!? (still toying with the price).

Should go into Beta by the end of the month... hopefully sent to the app store early Aug.

Elrique64a Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2012Thu 20-Jun-13 10:56 PM
#12. "RE: Eye-Fi Mobi vs Nikon - WU-1a"
In response to Reply # 9
Thu 20-Jun-13 10:58 PM by Elrique64a

Lake Stevens, US

I didn't forget to mention something I have absolutely no knowledge of. I run android tablets, not iPad. Since I have no experiences with apple's machine, I couldn't comment to it.

As the OP was concerning the eye-fi and the wu-1a I posted my experiences with them through an android tablet.

But, thanks for hijacking the thread for a plug for your app. I'm sure the OP had that in mind when he created it...

Mike G.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28067 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.