Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27948
View in linear mode

Subject: "Flash raises when not needed?" Previous topic | Next topic
Danks Registered since 01st Nov 2012Wed 05-Jun-13 11:59 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Flash raises when not needed?"

Sydney, AU

Hi All,

I have check all the setting on my camera and i am sure they a correct.

However, when i am on the auto setting the flash raises even in full light some times the flash will go off sometimes not.

I've taken it back to the shop and they tell me that this is just the way the D7000 is designed. I can't believe this is true otherwise you have to push the flash back down every time you take a shot even on a bright sunny day.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Christopher

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Flash raises when not needed?
golfercat Silver Member
06th Jun 2013
Rassie Silver Member
06th Jun 2013
aolander Silver Member
06th Jun 2013
km6xz Moderator
06th Jun 2013
JosephK Silver Member
06th Jun 2013
Danks
06th Jun 2013
Omaha
07th Jun 2013

golfercat Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2012Thu 06-Jun-13 12:45 AM
186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Flash raises when not needed?"
In response to Reply # 0

Menifee, US

To prevent the activation of the flash in auto mode with the D7000, you need to select the symbol that looks like a lightening bolt with a line through it (right next to Auto on the Mode dial). That will put you in auto mode with the flash disabled. Refer to pages 36/37 in the manual.

Hope that helps

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Thu 06-Jun-13 01:07 AM
2797 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Flash raises when not needed?"
In response to Reply # 0

Milton, CA

According to the manual on Page 39, in Auto mode the flash should raise when extra light is required. I take that to mean that where lighting is sufficient the flash should stay locked down. I tested my D7000 and it does work that way in Auto mode. When I point the camera at a bright light indoors the flash stays down. When I point away from the light the flash pops up.

I suggest you try the same test. I get the feeling the flash is going to pop up in many conditions where the lighting is not especially bright. If your flash pops up even when aiming at a bright light the camera may be faulty. Your other option is to turn the mode dial to the "flash off" setting immediately clockwise from the Auto setting on the mode dial. That will provide you all the same Auto settings, except the flash is forced to stay off.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Thu 06-Jun-13 02:03 AM
3053 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Flash raises when not needed?"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

The flash may pop up when in Auto even in brighter light as the camera determines the need for fill light, e.g. strong back light.

Alan

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 06-Jun-13 03:46 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Flash raises when not needed?"
In response to Reply # 3

St Petersburg, RU

Yes, Alam is right, if the subject being focused on is darker than the background the camera uses flash to equalize the light level between the background and subject. It is a very effective and desired feature to get well exposed shots in backlit conditions.

Try an experiment, take the shot with the flash that popped up, say, of a person in the shade but where the background is bright. Then, rotate the shooting mode dial one click to the symbol of flash with a line diagonally through it. That will keep the flash from activating. Take the shot and compare. You will notice the first photo has the person well illuminated and the second one has the person too dark and the background well exposed. The fill flash function is limited in effectiveness by the low power of the built-in flash so works best when the subject is within 10-15 feet of you. You might notice that experienced photographers often walk around in broad daylight with an external higher power flash mounted on their camera's hot shoe. It is common to want fill flash on bright sunny days to get the best exposure possible.
If you have been to the beach on a bright sunny day and saw a commercial photoshoot for an ad or other use, to get balanced light on the main subject they use a combination of large reflectors, shade screens and large studio flash units on stands. They are doing exactly what your camera is trying to do on a smaller scale.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 06-Jun-13 04:46 AM
3705 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Flash raises when not needed?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

As already mentioned, this is common in "auto" mode for both dark scenes and when the camera thinks it needs fill light in bright scenes.

Instead of "auto" mode, if you run in "P" mode, you get the same automatic exposure by the camera while you get to choose if and when the flash is used. Plus a few other decisions you get to make instead of the camera making them.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Danks Registered since 01st Nov 2012Thu 06-Jun-13 06:37 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Flash raises when not needed?"
In response to Reply # 0

Sydney, AU

thanks you all for your feed back, much appreciated.
Christopher

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Fri 07-Jun-13 01:59 AM
459 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Flash raises when not needed?"
In response to Reply # 6

Omaha, US

Just chiming in to "second" what was said here.

One of the truly excellent features of modern Nikon cameras is their fill-flash "brains". Its just absolute magic how well it works, both with the built in flash on the cameras (pretty darn good) as well as with Speedlights (absolutely outstanding).

I've been on a kick lately where I am shooting with an older, completely manual camera. The thing I miss the most is the automatic fill flash capabilities on my Nikon. Try it yourself some time: Shoot an outdoor headshot against a bright sky. Meter the sky, then figure out how many stops of flash you need to throw on your subject, as well as what aperture to set the camera, in order to get a balanced exposure. Its not super complicated, but it takes time and is fiddly. Nikons do it instantly, automatically and PERFECTLY!

Brilliant stuff.

Oh, and the other thing Nikons do is automatically throw the correct amount of fill flash even when you are shooting manually. So cool. Set your exposure to the background, pop up the flash, and BINGO. You about can't miss.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27948 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.