Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27947
View in linear mode

Subject: "SU-4 or SC29" Previous topic | Next topic
jerryray Silver Member Charter MemberWed 05-Jun-13 11:30 PM
319 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SU-4 or SC29"

NYC, US

I am going to be shooting moving fish in tanks. Would a SU-4 as opposed to a cable (sc29) allow me to use the SB910 off camera wireless?

I typically use a SC-28 and hold the flash up to me left against the glass, but if this can be done without the cord, great?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 06-Jun-13 04:53 AM
3299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SU-4 or SC29"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Are you referring to SU-4 Mode or a SU-4 module?
The SU-4 is a dumb optical trigger so any flash will trigger it to emit the flash power it was set for manually.
The SC-29 offers full TTL.
Is there is a reason you are not using CLS Wireless TTL? It works great and offers full control without wires.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

jerryray Silver Member Charter MemberThu 06-Jun-13 05:04 AM
319 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SU-4 or SC29"
In response to Reply # 1

NYC, US

Just trying to get the 910 flash wireless from the camera so I don't have the cord hanging down.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 06-Jun-13 05:52 AM
3299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SU-4 or SC29"
In response to Reply # 2

St Petersburg, RU

Have you tried CLS wireless? It is one of the advantages of owning Nikon instead of any other brand.
If you do not want the popup flash to contribute to the exposure, set the the role it plays as "--" in Commander mode. Set the SB910 to TTL Remote and you are ready to go. If you do want the built in-flash to contribute to the exposure, set the camera flash menu for Commander TTL and dial in the level of light. If its to be just fill flash with the SB910 as primary, set the built in flash for -1.7 or -2ev or lower.
No cable, no manual setting of remote flash and still full TTL.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27947 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.