Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27943
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 with 70-300mm lens - out of focus" Previous topic | Next topic
dolphinks Registered since 07th May 2013Wed 05-Jun-13 09:06 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 with 70-300mm lens - out of focus"

US

I have not been able to fine tune the focus with this lens. Anyone having this issue. Recommendations for camera &/lens adjustments.
I am shooting mostly motorcycle racing & drag racing photos.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 with 70-300mm lens - out of focus
MarkM10431 Silver Member
05th Jun 2013
dolphinks
06th Jun 2013
Rassie Silver Member
06th Jun 2013
dolphinks
06th Jun 2013
km6xz Moderator
06th Jun 2013
dolphinks
06th Jun 2013
golfercat Silver Member
06th Jun 2013
avm247 Moderator
06th Jun 2013

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Wed 05-Jun-13 10:31 PM
351 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 with 70-300mm lens - out of focus"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 05-Jun-13 10:31 PM by MarkM10431

jacksonville, US

without knowing camera settings it will be tough to help diagnose.

I know with my older zooms I only get good sharpness at F8 +- a couple stops. wide open they are worthless.

can you post a photo and annotate your camera settings?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dolphinks Registered since 07th May 2013Thu 06-Jun-13 07:17 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 with 70-300mm lens - out of focus"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I am shooting mostly wide open since they are so far away. Can someone tell me where to upload photos? I am new to the forum & still trying to figure out the options.

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Thu 06-Jun-13 12:42 AM
2797 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 with 70-300mm lens - out of focus"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 06-Jun-13 12:43 AM by Rassie

Milton, CA

When I bought my D7000 new late last year I could not get autofocus tuned properly. The body was backfocusing so far that even -20 fine tune settings were not enough. I took the body and the Nikkor 18-200 mm lens to a Nikon repair facility where they adjusted the body. I then managed to fine tune autofocus well enough to ensure good focus with both lenses.

You may have to take the body and Nikkor lenses for adjustment. If it's only the lens that needs adjustment, at least they can calibrate it with the body.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

dolphinks Registered since 07th May 2013Thu 06-Jun-13 07:16 PM
#4. "RE: D7000 with 70-300mm lens - out of focus"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks, I'll may have to see where the nearest Nikon facilty is.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 06-Jun-13 04:39 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 with 70-300mm lens - out of focus"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Welcome to Nikonians Karen!
Are your other lenses focusing correctly? And if so, are your shots of static subjects, tripod mounted of hand held faster than 1/500 out of focus also?
What shooting conditions and modes are you using? And if possible, can you post an image that shows this problem, that also has its exif meta data intact?
If you are coming from a lower resolution camera you will probably notice you need a higher shutter speed to eliminate motion blur since smaller movements of the camera are recorded with the ultra-fine pitched pixels.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

dolphinks Registered since 07th May 2013Thu 06-Jun-13 07:19 PM
#6. "RE: D7000 with 70-300mm lens - out of focus"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I don't seem to notice the focusing issue with my short lens. Trying to figure out how to post photos.

golfercat Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2012Thu 06-Jun-13 08:01 PM
186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 with 70-300mm lens - out of focus"
In response to Reply # 6

Menifee, US

You might want to post the JPEG picture in your Gallery where the size limit is 1meg. Posting in the forums is limited to 300kb.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberThu 06-Jun-13 09:10 PM
18153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 with 70-300mm lens - out of focus"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Karen, welcome to Nikonians!

Section 3 of the Terms of Use should be able to help you out with resizing and uploading images.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27943 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.