Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27938
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 - AF mode button and command dials do not alter A..." Previous topic | Next topic
mayank0712 Registered since 05th Jun 2013Wed 05-Jun-13 08:19 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 - AF mode button and command dials do not alter AF"


MX
          

Dear Friends
I am new to this forum - have recently got this D7100
In fact its my first DSLR

I was trying to go by the manual - when i got stuck on page 71-74 it says about changing the AF mode by pressing the AF mode button and rotating the back or front command dials.

When I do that - absolutely nothing happens -
The control panel LCD on top would have the same display and does not change anything

Could this be locked and do i need to unlock
or would it be a problem with my camara

I purchased it from Nikon DSLR Zone from India and moved to Mexico so cant go back to the store i purchased it from.

Can some of you help - it has truly frustrated me a lot

  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7100 - AF mode button and command dials do not alt...
Bushido7100
05th Jun 2013
1
Reply message RE: D7100 - AF mode button and command dials do not alt...
mayank0712
06th Jun 2013
2
     Reply message RE: D7100 - AF mode button and command dials do not alt...
km6xz Moderator
06th Jun 2013
3
          Reply message RE: D7100 - AF mode button and command dials do not alt...
mayank0712
08th Jun 2013
5
Reply message RE: D7100 - AF mode button and command dials do not alt...
martinjp
07th Jun 2013
4
Reply message RE: D7100 - AF mode button and command dials do not alt...
mayank0712
08th Jun 2013
6

Bushido7100 Registered since 03rd Jun 2013Wed 05-Jun-13 08:42 PM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 - AF mode button and command dials do not alter AF"
In response to Reply # 0


US
          

It's important that the switch is set to AF, not M. Then press the button and adjust the command dials. I just verified this on my 7100.

Hope this helps.

  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

    
mayank0712 Registered since 05th Jun 2013Thu 06-Jun-13 04:05 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 - AF mode button and command dials do not alter AF"
In response to Reply # 1


MX
          

>It's important that the switch is set to AF, not M. Then
>press the button and adjust the command dials. I just
>verified this on my 7100.
>
>Hope this helps.
>


Dear Bushido
Thanks but I keep the switch on AF side but its the same

Doesnt work

  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

        
km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 06-Jun-13 04:28 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 - AF mode button and command dials do not alter AF"
In response to Reply # 2


St Petersburg, RU
          

What shooting mode are you in?
Look through the viewfinder and press and hold the small button in the middle of the AF/MF level switch on the lower left side of lens mount. The rear command wheel should change between AF-S and AF-C as you turn it. The front command wheel if rotated while pressing the button in the center of the AF/MF switch, will change the focus point type.
Does the rear information display show the AF mode when the Info button is pressed? Does anything on the display change when pressing that little center button on the AF/MF mode rotary switch on the front?
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

            
mayank0712 Registered since 05th Jun 2013Sat 08-Jun-13 04:45 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7100 - AF mode button and command dials do not alter AF"
In response to Reply # 3


MX
          

>What shooting mode are you in?
>Look through the viewfinder and press and hold the small
>button in the middle of the AF/MF level switch on the lower
>left side of lens mount. The rear command wheel should change
>between AF-S and AF-C as you turn it. The front command wheel
>if rotated while pressing the button in the center of the
>AF/MF switch, will change the focus point type.
>Does the rear information display show the AF mode when the
>Info button is pressed? Does anything on the display change
>when pressing that little center button on the AF/MF mode
>rotary switch on the front?
>Stan
>St Petersburg Russia

Visit
>my
>Nikonians gallery>.



Dear Stan
Thanks for your advise but this is what I was doing / I truly appreciate your effort to pull me out
regards
Mayank

  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

martinjp Registered since 02nd Mar 2013Fri 07-Jun-13 03:27 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7100 - AF mode button and command dials do not alter AF"
In response to Reply # 0


US
          

If you have the camera in Auto mode (top left dial) you can not change auto focus mode. You have to be in P, A, S, or M to be able to change auto focus mode.

Also you have to continue holding the AF button while you turn the back command dial unless you change the setting in the menus that allows you to press the button and let go change the setting then press the button again to turn it off.

Jim

  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

    
mayank0712 Registered since 05th Jun 2013Sat 08-Jun-13 04:48 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7100 - AF mode button and command dials do not alter AF"
In response to Reply # 4


MX
          

>If you have the camera in Auto mode (top left dial) you can
>not change auto focus mode. You have to be in P, A, S, or M
>to be able to change auto focus mode.
>
>Also you have to continue holding the AF button while you turn
>the back command dial unless you change the setting in the
>menus that allows you to press the button and let go change
>the setting then press the button again to turn it off.
>
>Jim


JIM JIM JIM
this was it!!!!!

Thanks a ton - i was so frustrated at one point in time that I was about to drop the camera (but the thought of its cost prevented me)
I realize its a fine machine - only I need to be more educated on this . Once again Thanks a lot for course correction.
Cheers

  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27938 Previous topic | Next topic


Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.