Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27934
View in linear mode

Subject: "Thinking about a D7100..." Previous topic | Next topic
Barsch Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 05-Jun-13 07:44 PM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Thinking about a D7100..."

Weston, Florida, US

Hi all. I'm currently a D300 shooter and regularly use it with my 70-200 2.8 and 1.7tcII, giving me reach of 340. It's time for an upgrade, and prefer DX as I have the 17-55 2.8, love it and use it often.

It's my understanding that the D7100 has a 1.3 crop option. Would that give me essentially the equivalent of a 154-442?

Do I lose additional stops like I do with the 1.7tcII?

Thanks,

Barry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 05-Jun-13 08:21 PM
4109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Thinking about a D7100..."
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

The 1.3 crop is just that, cropping -- the discarding of pixels. You get no magnification from it; it is the same as if you do the cropping in post-production. It will obviously change your field of view just like the FX vs DX "cropping".

Since the D7100 has more pixels than the D300, you might benefit there from the additional pixel density for more detail in cropping.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Bushido7100 Registered since 03rd Jun 2013Wed 05-Jun-13 09:00 PM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Thinking about a D7100..."
In response to Reply # 1

US

The only benefits to using the "additional" 1.3 crop factor is a slight increase in the "Frame Advance Eate" DX Jpg or 12 bit NEF 6 frames for second and at the 1.3 crop factor, 7 frames per second. Also, the files will be smaller on your memory cards. Otherwise it's more convenient to crop in post processing to the same size image.

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Wed 05-Jun-13 10:18 PM
382 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Thinking about a D7100..."
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 05-Jun-13 10:18 PM by MarkM10431

jacksonville, US

IRT the 1.3 crop, here is an example. I took these frames with an 18-55mm zoom @ 46mm. DX on the right crop mode on the left

Barsch Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Thu 06-Jun-13 12:43 AM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Thinking about a D7100..."
In response to Reply # 3

Weston, Florida, US

Thanks for the replies...I can see the advantage of cropping PP with the d7100.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27934 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.