Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27912
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 Focus issues" Previous topic | Next topic
Brubish Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2013Tue 04-Jun-13 12:44 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 Focus issues"

Gloucester, GB

I've uploaded five jpgs to my gallery for comments on my focusing performance at 300mm. I bought the D7100 18th May and thought right! from now on any focus issues are down to me!
They are shots of Bob Atkins resolution chart taken using 70-300mm f4.5/5.6.
Labelled Af Trials 1 to 5, they should be in order of best to worst focusing technique.

1. Manual focus, LiveView at max, Tripod, VR OFF
2. AF focus, Fine=tune ON at -8, Tripod,VR OFF
3. AF focus Fine-tune off, Tripod, VR OFF
4. Hand-held VR ON
5. Hand-held, VR OFF

Question. Is res of 6.3 best that can be achieved from 70-300 f4.5/f5.6?
Question. What res should I expect if I upgraded to say a 70-200mm f2.8?
Question. How to improve my technique in shot 4

Brian

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7100 Focus issues
Brubish Gold Member
04th Jun 2013
elec164 Silver Member
04th Jun 2013
km6xz Moderator
04th Jun 2013
Brubish Gold Member
04th Jun 2013
elec164 Silver Member
04th Jun 2013
Brubish Gold Member
04th Jun 2013

Brubish Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2013Tue 04-Jun-13 01:38 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 Focus issues"
In response to Reply # 0

Gloucester, GB

Sorry folks,
Sent full size jpgs by mistake!
Have now uploaded cropped jpgs labelled "AT Trials crop -1 to -5"

Cheers
Brian

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Tue 04-Jun-13 01:47 PM
1896 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 Focus issues"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Brian, I think you miss understand how that chart is to be used, and your set up makes any results somewhat unreliable to me.

According to Bob Atkins, you're suppose to at a minimum use 5 charts printed at 4x6 inch and place them on a larger chart of 15x22 inch (one in center and one in each conner) and fill the frame with the larger chart. Your also supposed to make sure the chart is as parallel to the sensor as possible.

Given that your chart seems to be at an angle, the lighting seems somewhat variable with the white-balance all over the place, the illumination minimal if not insufficient with a slight under exposure makes any results unreliable and suspect (contrast and relative tonality has an impact on perceived sharpness).

When testing and attempting to fine-tuning AF, you need to be meticulous in your setup.

At least that's my humble opinion, hope it helps.

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 04-Jun-13 02:21 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 Focus issues"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

It would appear that the different AF and MF settings are not limiting as much as the lens is wide open at 300mm. There is little difference between hand holding with and without VR at 1/320 second shutter speed.
Did you try shorter focal lengths?
Did you try stopping down to a better aperture for IQ, like f/8?
The tests were hampered a bit by under exposure.
LiveView is the mode that would tell you what the lens is capable of and since that was not that much better than tuned or not, hand held or not, the lens is not delivering what it is capable of. Try stopping down to the sweet spot on that lens of f/8 and compare LV tripod to the f/5.6 that you used for these.

The 70-200 is very good but the comparison, where the 70-300 is better also, needs to be a 200mm.

With PD AF being so close to LV, you can be assured that the AF module is adjusted well.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Brubish Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2013Tue 04-Jun-13 04:30 PM
#4. "RE: D7100 Focus issues"
In response to Reply # 3

Gloucester, GB

Thanks for the replies.
Yes Pete, I obviously fired off without even a basic understanding of what I was after, as, having now read Bob Atkins’ blog, apart from other mistakes, I was using a resolution chart to check focus issues!

I’m not really interested in the arcane technology of lens optics, but rather was trying to use some of the easy tests to improve the final focus/resolution of my photos.

Fine-tuning raised its head after noticing that my Tamron macro lens pictures seemed the sharpest, then I found that the fine tune adjustment for that lens was zero, but the other lenses needed a tune.

Stan I think has pointed out the right road for me, which is to investigate finding the best combinations of aperture and focal length for each lens and end use. That’s if I am understanding this time!

Out of interest, why did white balance change so much when light levels seemed constant between shots? Is Auto WB that jumpy?

Brian

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Tue 04-Jun-13 05:06 PM
1896 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7100 Focus issues"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>Thanks for the replies.
>Yes Pete, I obviously fired off without even a basic
>understanding of what I was after, as, having now read Bob
>Atkins’ blog, apart from other mistakes, I was using a
>resolution chart to check focus issues!
>

Well it's ok to use a resolution chart for focus testing, as long as its parallel to the sensor and well lit.

>Stan I think has pointed out the right road for me, which is
>to investigate finding the best combinations of aperture and
>focal length for each lens and end use. That’s if I am
>understanding this time!
>

Personally I find the 70-300 VR an excellent performer on a DX body. I find no appreciable advantage in stopping it down from wide open especially in the center.

>Out of interest, why did white balance change so much when
>light levels seemed constant between shots? Is Auto WB that
>jumpy?
>

Without knowing more specifics its hard to say. AWB is designed to operate between 3500 and 8000K. If the light source is outside that range than your WB will be off.

What light sources were you using. It appears you were indoors near a window so tungsten lighting and sky light could be mixed making WB difficult. Not to mention deep shade sky light (9000 to 10000K) and tungsten (2300 to 3000K) are both out of the range of AWB.

Pete

Brubish Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2013Tue 04-Jun-13 07:21 PM
#6. "RE: D7100 Focus issues"
In response to Reply # 5

Gloucester, GB

>
>Personally I find the 70-300 VR an excellent performer on a DX
>body. I find no appreciable advantage in stopping it down from
>wide open especially in the center.

Thanks, thats encouraging.

>What light sources were you using.

Outdoors in the garden. The camera was in shade (summerhouse), the chart also in shade (rose arch) with sun behind it.

Brian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27912 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.