Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2789
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question about D7000 features" Previous topic | Next topic
pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Sat 04-Dec-10 08:09 PM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Question about D7000 features"
Sat 04-Dec-10 08:10 PM by pwarbeck

Tucson AZ, US

I am thinking of upgrading my trusty D40 to a D7000. I use the D40 with old lenses -- some AI but most pre-AI -- so I focus and set the exposure manually. I have recently been shooting a lot of HDR, so I must also bracket manually (by adjusting the shutter speed), which is obviously a problem.

The features on my must-have list are: (1) compatibility with my lens collection (2) automatic bracketing* (3) a histogram capable of showing the individual RGB channels, rather than only luminence.

Does the D7000 have all these features?

*In particular, can I bracket with the camera in Manual mode? I assume I would set the shutter speed manually, then tell the camera how many exposures to take in each direction.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Question about D7000 features
glennaa11 Silver Member
04th Dec 2010
pwarbeck Silver Member
05th Dec 2010
elec164 Silver Member
04th Dec 2010
pwarbeck Silver Member
05th Dec 2010
elec164 Silver Member
05th Dec 2010
pwarbeck Silver Member
05th Dec 2010
caesarhernandez
06th Dec 2010
pwarbeck Silver Member
06th Dec 2010

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Sat 04-Dec-10 08:34 PM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Question about D7000 features"
In response to Reply # 0

Arlington, US

basically, yes.

Lens compatibility I am not certain about.

Autobracketing certainly. But only 3 shots. You can set for plus/minus 1 or 2 EV I believe, same as the D90.

The D90 has histogram for RGB channels so I assume D7000 must as well.

I believe for HDR you are supposed to set the aperture to keep that constant and then you just let the camera handle the autobracketing by setting the shutter speed. So you will want to shoot in aperture priority mode.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Sun 05-Dec-10 02:46 AM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Question about D7000 features"
In response to Reply # 1

Tucson AZ, US

> So you will want to shoot in aperture priority mode.

Ah, but with my lenses I must use Manual mode. Other modes, such as Shutter priority, are not an option for me. So my question is whether bracketing works in Manual mode on the D7000.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sat 04-Dec-10 08:57 PM
1968 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Question about D7000 features"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I believe you may be out of luck with the non-AI lenses but I am not 100% positive of that. The manual lists non-AI lenses in the ‘Incompatible Accessories and Non-CPU lenses’ list.

As to bracketing the D7000 allows a three-frame bracket sequence, and yes it will vary shutter speed in M mode.

And yes it has individual histograms for luminance and RGB. It is even better in that when on the histogram screen you can zoom in and the histogram is representative of what is displayed on screen. Also it even lets you check for blinkies (blown highlights) for the luminance channel as well as to check the individual RGB channels for blown highlights.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Sun 05-Dec-10 02:55 AM
#4. "RE: Question about D7000 features"
In response to Reply # 2

Tucson AZ, US

Hi Pete,
Yes, that helps a lot, especially your information about the histogram.

I would be sad to hear that AI and non-AI lenses cannot be mounted on a D7000. They mount just fine on my D40. Of course there is no meter coupling with the D40, so I use an external light meter, and I expect to continue to do so with my next camera.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sun 05-Dec-10 03:11 AM
1968 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Question about D7000 features"
In response to Reply # 4

US

That is an odd feature of the D40 (and I believe other entry level DSLR’s) in that you can mount non-AI lenses without damaging the camera. Unfortunately if you mount them on the D7000 without the conversion modification you can damage the camera.

AI and AI-modified lenses on the other hand can be mounted and like the more pro cameras it can meter also.

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Sun 05-Dec-10 05:41 PM
#6. "RE: Question about D7000 features"
In response to Reply # 5

Tucson AZ, US

Too bad. I'll look into having my non-AI lenses AI'd, assuming someone can still be found to do this (I know Nikon themselves no longer do). Any suggestions on where to get this done? Will the cost be reasonable, or will I end up spending more than the lenses themselves are worth?

Visit my gallery on 23hq

caesarhernandez Registered since 04th Nov 2010Mon 06-Dec-10 03:41 AM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Question about D7000 features"
In response to Reply # 6

CR

I wish I had time to dig up the link for you, I think the guy's name is White and he charges 25 bucks.

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Mon 06-Dec-10 08:54 PM
#8. "RE: Question about D7000 features"
In response to Reply # 7

Tucson AZ, US

Thanks for the pointer! I looked him up (it's John White) and sent him an email about my lenses. He is also recommended by Ken Rockwell. His Web site is

http://www.aiconversions.com

$25 is well worth it. I'll even be able to meter through my AI'd lenses on a D7000.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2789 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.