Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27811
View in linear mode

Subject: "Whose usb port is it anyway" Previous topic | Next topic
mike70 Registered since 01st May 2007Thu 30-May-13 04:12 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Whose usb port is it anyway"
Sat 01-Jun-13 12:54 AM by dm1dave

Santa Fe, US

I got my d7100. I checked to see if the tethering cable that I use with my d200 would work on the d7100. Too big. Seemed unlikely that there would be no uniformity between cameras from the same maker. I called B&H. I'm a B&H customer. They always seem to be able to answer questions. I said I need a cable to tether my d7100 to my powerbook. They said let me check. A little while later they came back and said sorry, that's a Nikon proprietary port you'll have to call them. I called my regional nikon support. They said, no problem, that's a standard port, you should be able to get it at any camera store or best buy. I live in a town without camera stores. I went to best buy with the usb cable that came with the camera. Their camera "expert" looked at it and said, never saw one that small. It must be proprietary to nikon. I called B&H back. They said let me check. Came back and said I just read the specs. It's a mini usb. He sold me a cable with a ferrite core that was a mere $37.00. Got the cable. It would probably have fit the d200. No where near fitting the d7100. I called them back and returned the cable. Talked to a sales manager. He said you need a usb extension. Just plug the nikon cable into it and your problem will be solved. Never addressed the real problem. Why won't anything fit with the supplied usb port. B&H had no clue. Nikon support was in the dark. Best Buy was mystified. And I'm thinking that if I didn't have so much Nikon gear I'd be looking at Cannon.
Anybody else have that problem.

Mike

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Whose usb port is it anyway
aolander Silver Member
30th May 2013
briantilley Moderator
30th May 2013
agitater Gold Member
30th May 2013
briantilley Moderator
31st May 2013
elec164 Silver Member
30th May 2013
mudman2 Silver Member
30th May 2013
Brubish Gold Member
30th May 2013
mike70
30th May 2013
greynolds Gold Member
31st May 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
31st May 2013
dm1dave Administrator
01st Jun 2013
Daveecopping Silver Member
01st Jun 2013
gfinlayson Silver Member
01st Jun 2013
dm1dave Administrator
01st Jun 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
06th Jun 2013
gfinlayson Silver Member
01st Jun 2013
Reply message It's a Generic port. mini D. Can be used with the 7100...
GTF
01st Jun 2013
Reply message RE: It's a Generic port. mini D. Can be used with the ...
mike70
01st Jun 2013
gfinlayson Silver Member
01st Jun 2013
GTF
02nd Jun 2013
mudman2 Silver Member
05th Jun 2013

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Thu 30-May-13 04:49 PM
3190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Whose usb port is it anyway"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

"if I didn't have so much Nikon gear I'd be looking at Cannon"

Seems a rather harsh decision because of a cable!

Nikon shows the cable used is a UC-E6 USB cable. One should have come with it.

Alan

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 30-May-13 05:23 PM
28729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Whose usb port is it anyway"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

I believe the D7100's USB port is of the "Mini USB C Type". I don't know what you need on the other end of the cable, because I'm not a Mac user.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Thu 30-May-13 11:52 PM
3970 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Whose usb port is it anyway"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu 30-May-13 11:53 PM by agitater

Toronto, CA

>I believe the D7100's USB port is of the "Mini USB C
>Type". I don't know what you need on the other end of
>the cable, because I'm not a Mac user.

Brian - it's the HDMI port that's a type-C mini-pin configuration. The USB port is the mid-size USB 2.0 High Speed form factor variant which is not particularly common. It's slightly wider and slightly thicker than mini-USB, but the same width and slightly thinner than micro-USB. I have no idea why Nikon didn't just use mini-USB.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 31-May-13 05:32 AM
28729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Whose usb port is it anyway"
In response to Reply # 7

Paignton, GB

Thanks, Howard

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 30-May-13 05:25 PM
1973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Whose usb port is it anyway"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 30-May-13 05:28 PM by elec164

US

It should be a standard Mini USB port configuration.

As already mentioned you should have gotten a Mini USB male to standard USB cable with the camera (although it might not be long enough for your purpose).

Pete

After looking at the D200 manual, it could be that the D7100 uses a Micro cofiguration not a Mini.

Pete

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Thu 30-May-13 05:59 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Whose usb port is it anyway"
In response to Reply # 3

Jamison, US

micro USB was not around when the D200 was designed. People are switching to Micro USB in a big way now partly because of the EU USB Charger rule for mobile phones

Brubish Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2013Thu 30-May-13 07:06 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Whose usb port is it anyway"
In response to Reply # 0

Gloucester, GB

Hi Mike,
The D7100 USB port is MICRO Type B.
The cable needed, and supplied by Nikon with the D7100 as Alan said, is for connecting a Micro Type B port to a Standard Type A port.
If you were not supplied with a cable, contact your supplier.
Regards
Brian

mike70 Registered since 01st May 2007Thu 30-May-13 09:53 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Whose usb port is it anyway"
In response to Reply # 5
Sat 01-Jun-13 08:47 AM by jrp

Santa Fe, US

Thanks Brian. I'm just puzzled why none of the retail gurus who sell this stuff had a clue. i do have the supplied cable and it's probably just right for transferring pix from the camera to a computer if you cared to do that.
Of course, it's also hard for me to understand why Nikon couldn't use the same port/cable end combo from camera to camera. I think it shows an indifference to their customers.
And no, after about 40 years or so as a Nikon shooter I'm not about to change horses now.

Mike

greynolds Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2008Fri 31-May-13 12:48 AM
98 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Whose usb port is it anyway"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Change is often a good thing... Standards change, frequently for the better (smaller plugs, better performance, etc.) and I'd rather see Nikon embrace new, better technology than stick with an older technology just to keep things the same from model to model. Otherwise, we'd all still be using 8" floppy discs, USB 1.0, 2 megapixel cameras, etc. .

Geoff

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Fri 31-May-13 11:25 PM
386 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Whose usb port is it anyway"
In response to Reply # 8

jacksonville, US

yep it's micro. I could put two connectors into the mini port on the D80

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 01-Jun-13 01:03 AM
11297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Whose usb port is it anyway"
In response to Reply # 6

Lowden, US

“I'm just puzzled why none of the retail gurus who sell this stuff had a clue.”

Because the vast majority of them are not “gurus.”

Most of the employees I encounter at camera or electronics stores don’t have any knowledge of the products they sell beyond what is printed on the packaging.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Daveecopping Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2011Sat 01-Jun-13 06:55 AM
168 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Whose usb port is it anyway"
In response to Reply # 11

Polegate, GB

When I was growing up, camera shops were staffed by enthusiasts.

Dave

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Sat 01-Jun-13 07:54 AM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Whose usb port is it anyway"
In response to Reply # 12

Maidenhead, GB

When we were growing up, cameras were relatively much more expensive and stores could afford to employ enthusiasts and invest in staff training.

Nowadays margins are so tight that levels of customer service just aren't what they used to be.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 01-Jun-13 10:08 PM
11297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Whose usb port is it anyway"

Lowden, US

I seem to find more teenagers and collage aged people working in these setting now.

There are still some good shops out there but they are becoming more rare.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Thu 06-Jun-13 11:48 PM
386 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Whose usb port is it anyway"

jacksonville, US

you actually have a camera shop? all ours are closed

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Sat 01-Jun-13 08:26 AM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Whose usb port is it anyway"
In response to Reply # 0

Maidenhead, GB

Mike, as Howard said, the Nikon cable is an uncommon connector. From what I've been able to find out, it's a "non-standard" connector and the pin-out details tend to be proprietary to each manufacturer.

Your best bet is a USB 2.0 extension cable. If you need a very long one, you can buy active leads which will run to 10m (33ft).

Graeme

GTF Registered since 03rd Dec 2002Sat 01-Jun-13 08:45 PM
230 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#15. "It's a Generic port. mini D. Can be used with the 7100 or most usb drives."
In response to Reply # 0

Mastic Beach, US

I have a D7000 and your 7100 would still use the same cable.
As I said in the subject line it is a standard generic cable.
I use the 7000 cable for the camera and any usb drives using the same standard size usb connection.

Now I have a CoolPix 4800 and it uses a micro sub "D" usb cable.
And that too works with any device using that small connector.
You cane order the cable from Nikon.
BUT! What did you do with the cable Nikon included with your D7100?

DO NOT BUY THE CABLE FROM BEST BUY!!!!!
Order it from Nikon UC-E6 USB Cable. It's $10.95
Best Buy sells over priced cable's. That is where they make their money.
Monster Cable's being most overpriced non-needed cable's.
They are not the most expensive cable's one can pay through the nose for snake oil cable's.
Not even for stereo hookups. The least expensive cable's transfer a signal as well as the overpriced ones do.

I am an audio enthusiast who went through that money wasting cable believer.

mike70 Registered since 01st May 2007Sat 01-Jun-13 09:12 PM
#16. "RE: It's a Generic port. mini D. Can be used with the 7100 or most usb drives."
In response to Reply # 15

Santa Fe, US

Sincere thanks to all who took the time to respond to my post.
For now, I will use my Nikon supplied cable plus a USB 2.
Extension which will give me all the roomI need to stay
tethered to light room or sofortbild and move my camera setup
without having to reposition my lap top 

Mike

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Sat 01-Jun-13 11:06 PM
#18. "RE: It's a Generic port. mini D. Can be used with the 7100 or most usb drives."
In response to Reply # 15
Sat 01-Jun-13 11:15 PM by gfinlayson

Maidenhead, GB

I have both a D7000 and a D7100. The USB cables are different - the D7000 uses a standard mini USB, the D7100 uses an 8 pin USB for which there is no defined standard pin-out. Of the 8 pins potentially available, the D7100's cable only has 5 connectors at the camera end, so it's not a generic cabke.

GTF Registered since 03rd Dec 2002Sun 02-Jun-13 03:40 AM
230 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#19. "RE: It's a Generic port. mini D. Can be used with the 7100 or most usb drives."
In response to Reply # 18
Sun 02-Jun-13 03:53 AM by GTF

Mastic Beach, US

The cable shown on Nikons web site for the Nikon D7100 is a
(UC-E6 USB) it is the same cable that came with my CoolPix 4800.
It is a standard mini (micro) "D" usb plug.
I have used this cable on non Nikon electronic devices.
USB hard drives are not the only device, if only I could remember what else I used it with. A WD 2.5" usb drive. They were very small hence the small plug.
The Nikon supplied cable was used to connect to the drive and sometimes I used another companies mini D usb cable from my camera to the computer.

Best Buy should have them if not Radio Shack it worth a try.
Or just order one from Nikon.
It is a nothing special cable other then the connector is smaller than the standard mini D connector.
My micro D cable is the one that came with the 4800.
And the 4800 still works, other then having a damaged battery door.
I have to open the door with a small screwdriver.
I purchased the 4800 early 2005.
It is not a Nikon proprietary connector just as the Nikon rep said so.
It is generic.

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Wed 05-Jun-13 11:50 AM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: It's a Generic port. mini D. Can be used with the 7100 or most usb drives."
In response to Reply # 19

Jamison, US

Oddly enough I just got my 7100 yesterday and when I checked I had quite a lot of the correct cables. That size has 2 alternative methods of construction, the internals are handed so even if they look the same they have to be the correct internal gender. Don't try to force the connection I think you will damage the camera

I have both types

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27811 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.