Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27810
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wooo! Ordered my D7100 should get it tomorrow!!" Previous topic | Next topic
MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Thu 30-May-13 03:49 PM
389 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Wooo! Ordered my D7100 should get it tomorrow!!"

jacksonville, US

Can't wait to get my paws on it. I just found out there is a Spanish Galleon that is touring the east coast, and it's in St Augustine for part of the 500 year celebration.

First question, without having it in hand... Auto ISO? or what setting to use? would pushing to say 500-640 be alright with this camera? on the D80 it's a tad too grainy for my tastes.

Second qustion, will my SB800 flash work or is it too old?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Wooo! Ordered my D7100 should get it tomorrow!!
kodiak photo Silver Member
30th May 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
30th May 2013
kodiak photo Silver Member
30th May 2013
Brubish Gold Member
30th May 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
30th May 2013
RRowlett Silver Member
30th May 2013
Reply message AUTO ISO options
RRowlett Silver Member
30th May 2013
     Reply message RE: AUTO ISO options
MarkM10431 Silver Member
31st May 2013
          Reply message RE: AUTO ISO options
RRowlett Silver Member
01st Jun 2013

kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013Thu 30-May-13 04:23 PM
734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Wooo! Ordered my D7100 should get it tomorrow!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 30-May-13 04:24 PM by kodiak photo

Montrιal, (Qc), CA

Hey Mark,

If you have good weather and lots of light, a fixed lower ISO is a good setting,
if not, go for auto ISO, but fixing the minimum shutter speed to preserve.

This recommendation is not typical to the D7100 but a general better practice.

As for your SB800, I have yet to see any compatibility issue.

So, the conclusions of all these are two missing things:
• a new camera for you
• the pictures you will have made of the Spanish Galleon for us… =)

Have a good time!

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Mιdia
www.kodiakmedia.at
Photography • Design • Typography

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
In photography, light is free but catching it is not!
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Thu 30-May-13 04:26 PM
389 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Wooo! Ordered my D7100 should get it tomorrow!!"
In response to Reply # 1

jacksonville, US

I think i just goofed though

I didn't think about checking for "approved" memory cards, and I ordered two Sony 16GB SDHC/SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 R40 Memory Card (SF16UY/TQMN)

Sony is not on the nikon list. anyone know if they will/will not work?

kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013Thu 30-May-13 04:33 PM
734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Wooo! Ordered my D7100 should get it tomorrow!!"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu 30-May-13 04:46 PM by kodiak photo

Montrιal, (Qc), CA

… alright.

The technicals of the card seems ok. But make sure for yourself and google it!

Many sites are offering comparative charts when it comes to cards.

Personally, I was given (as present by the store) two Sandisk CF cards
in my new camera. The performance was great so I stuck whit that product
in all my cameras.

Vbrg

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Mιdia
www.kodiakmedia.at
Photography • Design • Typography

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
In photography, light is free but catching it is not!
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Brubish Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2013Thu 30-May-13 04:47 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Wooo! Ordered my D7100 should get it tomorrow!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Gloucester, GB

Hi Mark,
I think you will be delighted with your D7100; I am!
I'm new to the D7100, but here is my slant :
Auto ISO is switched on in Shooting Menu/ISO sensitivity setting. You then get options to set Max ISO and Minimum shutter speed.

I find it operates well in S-mode and Manual-mode by keeping ISO as low as possible as light levels fall.
In A-mode, the setting I use most, I'm confused. Auto ISO operates in a different way by first ramping ISO as light fall rather than slowing shutter speed, but you can still change shutter speed (second dial) and ISO (main dial) on the fly.

Don't worry about ISO up to about 3200, or even 6400, depending on output. I was very pleasantly surprised with lack of noise.
My old SB600 works fine.

Looking forward to seeing the Spanish Galleon!

Regards
Brian

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Thu 30-May-13 06:57 PM
#5. "RE: Wooo! Ordered my D7100 should get it tomorrow!!"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu 30-May-13 06:58 PM by MarkM10431

jacksonville, US

the outdoor shots are no brainers but i'm hoping to get some interior no flash shots (assuming there is a tour. I'll probably be shooting program inside, and shutter outdoors. if i get a chance i may visit the rookery at the alligator farm see if i cannot stop some neting birds

RRowlett Silver Member Charter MemberThu 30-May-13 08:48 PM
1087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Wooo! Ordered my D7100 should get it tomorrow!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Hamilton, US

OYou will be delighted with the image quality of the D7100. Caution: get to know your AF system before going out. The default setting is AF-A auto, which is not ideal for controlling composition.

Any UHS-1 card should work, but some are faster than others. If you don't rattle off lots of bursts, a slower card might be OK, and cheaper.

I'm using ISO-AUTO with top ISO limited to 800 outdoors. At ISO 800 or below image quality is excellent by my standards. Out of doors, this should be sufficient to keep shutter speeds reasonable for sharp images. You can also put a floor on shutter speed if you like.

Cheers.

RRowlett Silver Member Charter MemberThu 30-May-13 10:20 PM
1087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "AUTO ISO options"
In response to Reply # 6

Hamilton, US

BTW, if you use ISO AUTO, and set shutter speed limit to AUTO, the camera will adjust the slowest allowed shutter speed based on the focal length for any CPU lens. It works pretty well with both VR and non-VR lenses. Of course, if you want to be very conservative with fast shutter speeds you can set a hard limit.

Cheers.

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Fri 31-May-13 09:55 PM
#8. "RE: AUTO ISO options"
In response to Reply # 7

jacksonville, US

if i set that and then shift to shutter priority I assume S mode will win out in the programming?

I am quite mystified by some of the menu settings. I'm assuming that I'm safe using factory default till i figure out what each does.

RRowlett Silver Member Charter MemberSat 01-Jun-13 05:40 PM
#9. "RE: AUTO ISO options"
In response to Reply # 8
Sat 01-Jun-13 05:41 PM by RRowlett

Hamilton, US

>if i set that and then shift to shutter priority I assume S
>mode will win out in the programming?

Yes, if proper exposure cannot be achieved at the maximum ISO and minimum shutter speed allowed by your settings, the camera will allow you to use a slower shutter speed, according to the manual.

>I am quite mystified by some of the menu settings. I'm
>assuming that I'm safe using factory default till i figure out
>what each does.

The first thing I did with my camera is to go through each and every setting and set it up the way I like it. I then saved these settings so I could modify from there. After a week of using the camera, I adjusted a few things, like the default focus mode (this was a biggie--the D7100 works very differently compared to my D100--as it has a very capable AF module I'm not used to.) and ISO AUTO, which I despise on my point-and-shoot coolpix because it is lousy at high ISO, but is very satisfactory on the D7100 where you can set limits on how high an ISO you will allow. Take your time and after a few weeks you will have camera settings the way you like them. I saved two sets of setting in U1 and U2. U1 is my "high-quality" mode, NEF+JPG, that I use when I think I might be making A3 or larger size art prints. In U2 I saved a "snapshot" mode with ISO AUTO allowed up to 6400, and JPEG only. U2 is for making indoor or "party" photos that I will only display on the web or make 4x6 photos for sharing with family & friends, etc.

Cheers.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27810 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.