Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27787
View in linear mode

Subject: "Choose and lock center focus point" Previous topic | Next topic
phlash46 Registered since 01st Feb 2008Wed 29-May-13 06:14 PM
2207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Choose and lock center focus point"

Peekskill, US

Have a D7100 and have read the manual and cannot seem to lock center focus point! In A F-s mode and then?

New York Nikoner
My Nikonians Gallery

"Insanity is repeating the same process expecting a different result" Albert Einstein

NAS can go into remission, but, it is incurable.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Choose and lock center focus point
gfinlayson Silver Member
29th May 2013
km6xz Moderator
29th May 2013
lloydbeard Silver Member
29th May 2013
RRowlett Silver Member
29th May 2013
phlash46
29th May 2013
Alfred70
30th May 2013

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Wed 29-May-13 06:27 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Choose and lock center focus point"
In response to Reply # 0

Maidenhead, GB

Do you mean lock, as in not be able to move it from the centre point? If so, slide the lever that sits below the "OK" button round until the white indicator lines up with "L".

Graeme

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 29-May-13 06:31 PM
3301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Choose and lock center focus point"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Are you not being able to activate the lock switch or are you seeing the focus point moving from where you set it? Be sure it is not on Auto Area mode, which will move the AF point to where it thinks the closest target, unless you intend the camera to take control.
The Focal point lock level switch is turned clockwise to the "L" mark, the multi selector becomes disabled from controlling the focus point.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

lloydbeard Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Sep 2007Wed 29-May-13 06:55 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Choose and lock center focus point"
In response to Reply # 0

birmingham, US

Let my try to help. I too have a new d7100 and like to try things people are asking so I can learn more of the cameras potential.

Pg 3 of manual #12 button. Press it and then turn dial sub dial pg 4 , # 2, and you will get a view like p74 "viewfinder" upper right or a single point.
The single point can now be moved using multi selector, p5, #14. Set focus selector to dot and use multi dial to move focus point. Then switch focus selector to L to lock it anywhere you want.
I hope I have explained what I was doing to try and answer your question.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RRowlett Silver Member Charter MemberWed 29-May-13 10:23 PM
1087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Choose and lock center focus point"
In response to Reply # 0

Hamilton, US

The manual doesn't make this as obvious as it should be. Here is what you need to do:

1. Move the lock lever on the multi-selector from "L" to "dot"
  2. With the camera on, hold down the AF button (just to left of lens) and spin the rear dial to select your AF mode (AF-A, AF-S, AF-C) I use AF-A or AF-S for shooting stationary objects
  3. While holding down the AF button, spin the front command dial to select AF mode. Choices are AUTO, 3D, 51-point, 21-point, 9-point, single point. In any mode other than AUTO, you can move the central focus point with the multi-selector.
  4. To quickly move the focus point to the central point, press the OK button on the multi-selctor.
  5. If desired, lock the position of the focus point by turning the level on the multi-selector back to "L"

Hope this helps. The number of choices was a bit mystifying compared to my previous camera, a D100, which had a whopping 5 (!) focus points and only two modes, AF-A and single point.

Cheers.

phlash46 Registered since 01st Feb 2008Wed 29-May-13 11:26 PM
2207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Choose and lock center focus point"
In response to Reply # 4

Peekskill, US

Thanks Stan, Lloyd and Roger! It was in Auto Area Mode! Works fine now. Not at all like a D300 or D700!

New York Nikoner
My Nikonians Gallery

"Insanity is repeating the same process expecting a different result" Albert Einstein

NAS can go into remission, but, it is incurable.

Alfred70 Registered since 12th Dec 2012Thu 30-May-13 12:55 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Choose and lock center focus point"
In response to Reply # 5

San Antonio, US

A good article on AF for the D7000. It's probably mostly the same for the D7100.

http://www.pixelfinesse.com/_docs/D7000_af.pdf

Al

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27787 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.