Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27767
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 plus 18-200mm scratched lens" Previous topic | Next topic
Alfred70 Registered since 12th Dec 2012Tue 28-May-13 02:59 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 plus 18-200mm scratched lens"

San Antonio, US

I have an opportunity to purchase a D7000 with an 18-200mm VR-II lens for $750. The problem is the lens has a scratch on it (which I have not seen yet), according to the seller. How do I tell the true effect of the scratch on picture taking. The seller says you cannot see the scratch through the view-finder and that it has no effect on the quality of the pictures. Any comments on how to test this camera and lens combination?

Thank you.
Al

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 plus 18-200mm scratched lens
km6xz Moderator
28th May 2013
blw Moderator
28th May 2013
JosephK Silver Member
28th May 2013
Omaha
28th May 2013
Alfred70
28th May 2013
MEMcD Moderator
29th May 2013
aolander Silver Member
28th May 2013
ericbowles Moderator
02nd Jun 2013

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 28-May-13 03:58 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 plus 18-200mm scratched lens"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

The best way to see if the lens needs to be repaired is simply to use it and inspect the images. At wider apertures it would have to be a wide deep scratch to impact images. At stopped down apertures it might be a problem. $750 is a good price for the camera and lens that costs that much alone. Even if you need to have the lens repaired, you are ahead. Have fun with it, its a very good camera
Ct
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 28-May-13 04:38 PM
26293 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: D7000 plus 18-200mm scratched lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

It actually takes a pretty ridiculous scratch to have an effect on the images. See this article for a graphic demonstration of the extreme. Unfortunately, the market as a whole doesn't recognize this, so even a small scratch substantially reduces resale value, despite having demonstrably no impact on the image whatsoever.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 28-May-13 08:36 PM
3712 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 plus 18-200mm scratched lens"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, WA, US

You beat me to it. That is a great aritcle by LensRentals.com.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Tue 28-May-13 04:54 PM
460 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 plus 18-200mm scratched lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

Considering that Adorama is getting $700-ish for E+ rated D7000 bodies, you really can't go too wrong here (assuming the body you are looking at is in good shape). You are getting the 18-200 for next to nothing.

I agree with Stan's comment. If you do something like choke the lens down to f22 and take a picture of a clear, blue sky then MAYBE you can see the scratch. But so what? In real world situations, its quite rare for common scratches to actually show up in the final output.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

Alfred70 Registered since 12th Dec 2012Tue 28-May-13 09:42 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 plus 18-200mm scratched lens"
In response to Reply # 3

San Antonio, US

Thanks for the advice and link. It was very useful.

I decided to go ahead with the purchase. The camera is in excellent condition and the scratch on the lens is hair thin, about one-half inch long. I believe I will have no problems with the lens.

The camera, however, will take a while to learn. The seller also threw in David Busch's Nikon D7000 book. It is over 500 pages long! If this is an indication of how long it will take me to learn the camera, all I can say is I'm glad I'm retired so I have time to read and experiment. I'm coming from a Nikon D60 so I suspect there will be a few differences.

Thank you again for the advice and link.

Al

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 29-May-13 09:29 PM
25006 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 plus 18-200mm scratched lens"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Al,

Congratulations.
Enjoy your new kit.

Best Regards,
Marty

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Tue 28-May-13 09:56 PM
3053 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 plus 18-200mm scratched lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

If it's a minor scratch on the front element I'd say you'd never see it even "choked down" at any focal length.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 02-Jun-13 11:45 AM
8147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 plus 18-200mm scratched lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

In most cases a scratched lens element can be repaired by Nikon or Nikon Authorized service. The repair is not that expensive. So if you find the scratch matters, you can fix it.

A scratch to the front element will more likely show up in images where light is hitting the front of the lens. It may cause flare. It may also show up in extreme close ups when stopped down - and the 18-200 has a very small minimum focus distance.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27767 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.