Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27762
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why'd they do that?" Previous topic | Next topic
Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Tue 28-May-13 12:46 PM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why'd they do that?"

Aventura, US

I went from D7000 to D7100. Just noticed that the remote control mode is no longer available on the top dial. I liked it better when I could see what mode I'm in.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Why'd they do that?
RockyIII Gold Member
04th Jun 2013
Coldfront Silver Member
05th Jun 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
05th Jun 2013
Coldfront Silver Member
09th Jun 2013
Vlad_IT Silver Member
31st Aug 2013
martinjp
17th Jun 2013
Omaha
04th Sep 2013

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Tue 04-Jun-13 01:53 AM
2967 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why'd they do that?"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

I don't know why it was removed, but I agree it was very handy to have it on the top dial. I now have it on MY MENU.

Rocky

Coldfront Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2004Wed 05-Jun-13 07:55 PM
264 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Why'd they do that?"
In response to Reply # 0

Marengo, US

Hi Guys! I have a D7000 and am considering trading to a D7100. My question is "was it worth it?" I use my D700 as my main camera and seldom use the D7000 , I think I'm answering my own question. thanx for any input jim

Coldfront

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Wed 05-Jun-13 08:39 PM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Why'd they do that?"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 05-Jun-13 08:57 PM by Steve6344

Aventura, US

I upgraded from 7000 to 7100 and converted the 7000 to IR. I am very satisfied with the decision. First, the 7100 has the same advanced autofocus system and processor as the d800 which was a big improvement over the 7000 for me. Also, the 7100 has a higher resolution lcd that is easier to see. The viewfinder display is OLED which is brighter and easier to see when it's sunny. These viewability features make the camera easier to use. The 7100 has 5 bracketing steps as opposed to 3 for the 7000 which can be useful for HDR if you're into that.

Coldfront Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2004Sun 09-Jun-13 01:00 AM
264 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Why'd they do that?"
In response to Reply # 3

Marengo, US

Thanx Steve! jim

Coldfront

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Sat 31-Aug-13 03:08 AM
965 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Why'd they do that?"
In response to Reply # 3

New Tampa, US

>I upgraded from 7000 to 7100 and converted the 7000 to IR. I
>am very satisfied with the decision. First, the 7100 has the
>same advanced autofocus system and processor as the d800 which
>was a big improvement over the 7000 for me. Also, the 7100 has
>a higher resolution lcd that is easier to see. The viewfinder
>display is OLED which is brighter and easier to see when it's
>sunny. These viewability features make the camera easier to
>use. The 7100 has 5 bracketing steps as opposed to 3 for the
>7000 which can be useful for HDR if you're into that.

Steve, the D7100 AF system is scaled down DX version of it's big brothers D4 and D800.

Also with best Dynamic range of D7000 out of all DX cameras at ISO 100 the bracketing of three images (-3, 0, +3) will cover all possible scenarios. I don't do HDR, but by analogy to focus stacking I can only speculate the more images are used in HDR post processing - the more artifacts will be introduced to the final image. The age of D300 dynamic range is over. That camera and previous generation cameras indeed required 5,7,9 images for HDR. But D7000 will cover all reasonable DR with just three shots.

Best regards,
Vlad

martinjp Registered since 02nd Mar 2013Mon 17-Jun-13 03:23 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Why'd they do that?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>I went from D7000 to D7100. Just noticed that the remote
>control mode is no longer available on the top dial. I liked
>it better when I could see what mode I'm in.

I missed it too coming from a D90 until I found that you can turn on the remote on the info screen. Just it the new i button at the lower left and arrow down to the remote icon.

On the D90 remote was on the shooting mode button which moved to the new dial control so the change made sense to me. I can see coming from a D7100 why the change would be even more confusing.

Jim

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Wed 04-Sep-13 12:07 AM
461 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Why'd they do that?"
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

I hate having to dig features off the menus. It's so much better just have a proper dial or button on the camera body. But as complicated as these things have become, there's only so much room for buttons. And buttons cost money.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27762 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.