Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27750
View in linear mode

Subject: "NEF (RAW) recording" Previous topic | Next topic
Mahaabb Registered since 27th May 2013Tue 28-May-13 07:37 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NEF (RAW) recording"

Beirut, LB

Hi to all,
I'm introducing myself here as a new member of Nikonians.org forum and I'm improving myself by practicing the use of my Nikon and get to be more and more well controlled over my cam usage. so far I can experience that Nikon is a great device advanced in its creation to bring out the special presentation of a beautiful image.

when lossless compressed is better to use than compressed and in which bit depth will perform better?

TK
Maha

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NEF (RAW) recording
briantilley Moderator
28th May 2013
kodiak photo Silver Member
30th May 2013
blw Moderator
28th May 2013
ndtking Gold Member
30th May 2013
billD80 Silver Member
30th May 2013
Mahaabb
01st Jun 2013

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 28-May-13 08:21 AM
28728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NEF (RAW) recording"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Welcome to Nikonians!

Lossless Compressed does preserve more information in the image file than Compressed. Unless storage space on your memory card is critical, I would always shoot in 14-bit. This will allow you to get the absolute most out of your images

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013Thu 30-May-13 03:24 PM
734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: NEF (RAW) recording"
In response to Reply # 1

Montrιal, (Qc), CA

Hello Maha,

Welcome to nikonians!
(this is something Brian cannot say for me)

As to you question,
this is something I can say like Brian, as he does it with a better accent! =)

As to your Raw files, I conclude that you're gonna shoot, right?
And just when are we going to have the pleasure?

Have a good time!

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Mιdia
www.kodiakmedia.at
Photography • Design • Typography

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
In photography, light is free but catching it is not!
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 28-May-13 10:53 AM
26565 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: NEF (RAW) recording"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Lossless compressed, by definition, always results in better image quality, since it does not lose any information. Whether this is a practical improvement or not is arguable, though. Nonetheless, it no longer takes an interesting amount more storage. Years ago when we were shooting with 0.13 GB CF cards, it was important to save storage space, but now with 16GB or 32GB cards being the norm and hard disks now approaching 6TB, I think it's a reasonable default to always use maximum bit depth and lossless compressed recording.

You might also want to see this thread for some examples of how much shooting in raw and post processing can help your photography.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

ndtking Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Jun 2008Thu 30-May-13 03:13 PM
213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NEF (RAW) recording"
In response to Reply # 0

Kitchener, CA

I would agree with both Brians, with one extra bit of information.

12-bit will give you a faster frame rate - if tht is a concern, you may want to shoot in 12-bit periodically. For instance, If I'm shooting in a dark cathedral where use of a tripod is not possible, I may shoot a burst of 5 shots (for HDR) in 12-bit in order to take advantage of a faster frame rate. What I lose in bit depth will be compensated for in the extra information the HDR affords.

Welcome to Nikonians!

Gerry King
Ontarian Nikonian
Flickr Gallery:www.flickr.com/photos/ndtking

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 30-May-13 03:47 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: NEF (RAW) recording"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Welcome! There is a wealth of info to be had on these forums.

If you're shooting RAW, you may wish to use (free) Nikon View NX2 or (not free) Capture NX2 to convert/edit your NEFs. They are the ONLY programs that can fully translate all the information in the NEF files.

Capture NX2 is more capable than View NX2, but View NX2 is a fine way to do basic editing, and I use it as my browser.

Lastly, I'd shoot full 14-bit, no compression. Why capture less than the camera is capable of? Have fun!

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Mahaabb Registered since 27th May 2013Sat 01-Jun-13 01:12 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: NEF (RAW) recording"
In response to Reply # 0

Beirut, LB

Thanks to all members who responded to my post and who replied with a welcome note, I appreciate your useful information for me and for the information I get from this forum, and I'm interested in catching up all your updates.

TK
Maha

TK
mahaabb

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27750 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.