Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2775
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 in manual question" Previous topic | Next topic
Dreaux Registered since 30th Nov 2010Sat 04-Dec-10 04:20 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 in manual question"

US

When I am in manual and am taking stills I can use the front dial to change my f-stop. When I am in 'Live view' I can not change the f-stop with the front dial. It seems I have no control of f-stop in 'Live view'. I can change the shutter speed and ISO but not the f-stop setting.
The user manual gives no info on this.
What am I missing?

Jim

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ricphoto Registered since 29th Aug 2006Sat 04-Dec-10 05:00 PM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 in manual question"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

You're not missing anything Jim...You can't control the F Stop on the G type lenses with the D7K on manual in Live view or movie mode. Wherever you were set re: the F Stop when you entered shooting mode is where you'll be.

for stills If the f-stop is the most important consideration then you can switch to Aperture priority and have control of it but at the cost of a wandering shutterspeed.

If you want full manual control you'll have to get some older full manual lenses...

The workaround I'm using is the Genustech fader ND filter...2-8 variable stops of ND at the twist of your wrist. This allows me to preset the shutter speed and F-stop to match the framerate and look I want then adjust the amount of light entering the camera to it.

HTH...Ric

Ric Kasnoff | Photographer
ric@ricphoto.com
http://www.ricphoto.com

http://www.twitter.com/ricphoto
http://www.vimeo.com/ricphoto

Adobe Certified Instructor | Apple Certified Trainer

Member: APA (National VP) | NANPA | NPPA | PLUS

Dreaux Registered since 30th Nov 2010Sun 05-Dec-10 12:56 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 in manual question"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for a excellent explaintion

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2775 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.